Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Sad news. Young Zach has passed

EscapeRocks

Some of you may remember last summer when I posted my experience in giving a young man named Zach a huge thrill by having him play a concert with us.

That story is here

Well, I just received word from his parents today that after a long, and strenuous fight, Zach's body could take no more.

He passed calmly and comfortably with his parents and family by his side.

Despite the horrible cancer inside him, he was so full of life. His young mind wanting to learn everything.

The all too brief time I and my fellow band mates got to spend with him is something we will cherish forever.

Whatever you believe or don't believe (not trying to cross any religious lines here), I hope that whatever and wherever Zach is now, he's getting to play in the best damned band there is, which was his dream.

RIP Zach. We'll be playing your favorite song in your honor.

Thank you for teaching us how it's the little things that can make a difference in someone's life.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow...that has got to be the saddest thing I've ever read on this forum. Please know David that what you and your bandmates did for him was truly awesome and inspiring; you have my deepest admiration. All the best to you, your band and Zach's family.

Thank you all!!..

I appreciate the kind words, but it's hard for me to read them as I'm not looking for any kudos or anything. I know a ton of others both on KC and in the biz out here who would have done what they could as well. Still, i thank you. it does mean a lot.

I just felt it important to let you all know, who followed the story last summer, to know.

All in all, I guess if anything, if you see that kid who gets wide eyed when he sees you play an instrument, try to engage him or her and possibly plant the seed. You just never know what magic you can inspire in a young mind.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

"Escape [the band] Rocks" :thu:

You guys showed what great character you have by what you did for him. You brought joy and positivity not only to his life, but many. All of us are a little better because of what you did.

Keep shining that light, man. Don't Stop Believin'.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Every one of us here recognizes what you and your band did was honorable, and right, and generous, in the very best sense of those words, David.

To give that kind of gift to any young person - you can't put a price on it.

I remember when you first posted Zach's story, and I just re-read it now. Man.

It is not the right order of things to bury a son or daughter. Matthew Henry has an entry in his journal, "I have been doing a strange thing today. Burying a child." I played a memorial service last month for a 20 year old who died on New Year's Eve. Not as things should be.

But you did more than the right thing, and more than enough. Bring joy to a child with cancer? What's higher than that?

I am so sorry to hear about this David. I remember reading your original post about this and at the time remarked about how you and your fellow band mates did such a noble thing. I also agreed with the sentiment expressed, that you really never know how much of an impact one persons life can have on another. I guess that's something that's underestimated sometimes. But really, one kind gesture can mean the world to someone.

Please know that our heartfelt sympathies go out to you and Zach's family. I'm sure as you said, that he's in a wonderful place right now.

~ Anthony

I see this as a 50/50:

You brought happiness and strength to Zach and his family, and he made you realize how powerful and comforting your talent can be.

Nicely done.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Sad to hear. But, your band brought joy to Zack AND to his parents - opening up a channel where they let you know of his passing. Even in the sadness, you can keep joy in your heart.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

"Escape [the band] Rocks" :thu:

You guys showed what great character you have by what you did for him. You brought joy and positivity not only to his life, but many. All of us are a little better because of what you did.

Keep shining that light, man. Don't Stop Believin'.

What Joe said...

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

RIP Zack. There should be plenty of talented musicians where you're at now to jam with ...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived