Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wanna ask something about the midi keyboard?

wjfkddf

Hey guys I'm planning to buy casio ctk 4200 touch-sensitive 61 keyboard. I'm planning to learn basic music theory such as chords, major, minor, scales, playing by ear... etc. Rather playing piano pieces, I plan to make original song by using it for instrumental back-track. Would 61 key be enough?

I mostly plan to use the midi keyboard for virtual instruments such as electric guitar, drum, bass, and piano to use them as backing tracks. so I'll be playing more of pop+rock+acoustic

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It all depends on what you're playing. For example, if you were writing more piano-based material, then I would maybe go with a full-range 88-note board. I have one, and also a 61-note controller. I would say that regarding your goal, 61 should give you plenty of room. The CTK-4200 has some great onboard sounds too, for some added inspiration.

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD/Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000

Right -- it's mostly a limitation when playing parts for piano (or electric piano such as Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet).

I say go for the 61-note board, but be open to the possibility of adding a hammer-action (aka "fully weighted") keyboard later, so you can learn to play piano and electric piano. These are very difficult to get right without a hammer action keyboard. Hammer action is also great for tapping in drum parts, far superior to unweighted.

I normally recommend going the other way around: starting with weighted and then adding unweighted, because it's a much easier transition. But since your focus is on non-piano sounds, and since a 61-key unweighted keyboard is considerably cheaper in most cases, this might be the right path for you.

Add the other keyboard later if your interest develops and you stick with it. It's a harder transition, but it's far from insurmountable. There are some great players on this forum who started out on organ.

Archived