Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tail Between My Legs

RLHofer

OK, so I bought a Vox Stomplab 2G. Being a relative beginner, I figured getting multiple effects in one box could be some fun on the cheap. I should mention that I already have a Vox VT20+ with all the same effects onboard; I got the Stomplab to have the same effects for my other larger amp(no effects). Manipulating the VT20+ is relatively easy; one knob to select amp/cab, another knob for pedal effects, another knob for modulation/delay effects, and another for reverbs. The manual tells you pretty much what each is for, including variations. But the Stomplab manual leaves a lot to be desired... I mean a LOT to be desired... so much so that I feel lost. Sure, I can turn a knob to select an amp/cab category(the easy part) and punch a button to change to a different "program"... but what comprises program "01","34",etc? I've read the manual and have played with changing some parameters but with NO real knowledge of what I'm doing or gaining any fundamental understanding. Part of this problem is probably due to the fact that I don't have years of experience with different pedals and boxes to draw upon. I'm relatively intelligent but admittedly have trouble reading dry manual text and translating it in to something meaningful in the physical world; I'm a trainable monkey and do pretty good with someone telling me "do this". Is there anyone out there with a decent working knowledge of the Stomplab AND willing to mentor me s-l-o-w-l-y through learning it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<---check this guy out for a demo (he's using a 1G but it's basically the same as the 2g) and you may be able to relate the info with your manual. There are many other demos on the 2g on Youtube but I think this guy gets you started with a good overview, then you can hone in on the others. Just type in Vox StompLab iiG and away you go...Good luck! Looks like a great amount of fun ahead of you. I would just play around with the presets and navigating around to start with and then get into editing...
Take care, Larryz

That video was better than others I'd watched earlier today; the ones I watched earlier were basically a guy USING the Stomplab but giving no instruction. I'll probably come back to this video multiple times since it's the only one I've seen with any instruction on it's use. I mean, I can turn a knob and/or punch a button, but this guy added some explanation. Thanks for the link! The manual also has tables of different effects and their associated codes. I suspect there is/are relationships between the tables but Vox doesn't define those relationships, at least not that this beginner could see. If I stare at the tables long enough, refer to the video again and TRY things, hopefully something will "click" eventually; I love a good technical puzzle! I guess I should also keep trying different video's to find more instruction. Thanks again.

Click!

I just watched "Quick Start VOX StompLAB - por Filipe Galadri".... in Portuguese! LOL I don't speak Portuguese, but somehow, I "saw" what he was doing. Duh, read the #@%$ labels on the knob, dork! LOL I'm itching to get home and try some things but I'm stuck here at work another 6 hours... Doh!

I think I watched the same guy but didn't know what language he was speaking. Seemed to give a good overview (which would have been cool in English). There is one guy that does a whole series of videos and it would be good to revisit each demo after you get the idea of moving through the banks and patches and find the one he's featuring. Most multi effects pedals are similar in some ways and once you learn yours, you'll find it easier to relate to the others.

I use a Fender Floor multi effects pedal and although it has many presets and other whistles and bells, I got stuck on one sound with my edits (using it in the stomp box type of mode) and really haven't experimented with all the other pre-sets. You may find many sounds that you want to use, but there is nothing wrong with just having a few favorites...Good luck and have fun with it! Looks like a cool little pedal! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I use a Fender Floor multi effects pedal and although it has many presets and other whistles and bells, I got stuck on one sound with my edits (using it in the stomp box type of mode) and really haven't experimented with all the other pre-sets. You may find many sounds that you want to use, but there is nothing wrong with just having a few favorites...Good luck and have fun with it! Looks like a cool little pedal! :cool:

I'm in the same boat- I use the Digitech RP500 with buttloads of presets and settings, but dialed in on 2-3 that I really like. :rawk:

For the record, one reason I went with Digitech was because their manuals were pretty easy for me to understand and once I got used to the layout, I can make changes pretty quick.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

This is me with my drum machine, I am fairly bright but getting it to do what I want is not a function my brain does.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Just a quick update.......

OK, so I've had a little time to play with it. Learned a bit what it can do and what it can't and/or doesn't do. Unless I damaged it when initially hooking up the wrong AC adapter(still a possibility... won't know unless I play a new unit), I've noticed an anomoly that doesn't lend itself for stage use(not that I'd be doing that for a couple years at least). When switching from one user-created program to another, the gain from the 1st program seems to carry over to the 2nd program until the gain knob is moved ever so slightly... then the correct gain for the 2nd program kicks in. More experimentation is needed to see if this anomoly shows up with other effects also. No problemo considering where I am in my musical journey. Maybe the higher-end multi-effect Vox pedal units(or other manufacturers) don't do this but I don't have the $ to find out. I'll use the Stomplab to learn what effects I like and in what combinations. But if the day ever comes that I take the stage with my electric guitar, I may just do it with a pedal board.

I am making a retraction. I owe Vox an apology and I owe you guys an apology. Short story... user error. Big surprise, huh? I'm embarrassed. I'm going to go away until I've got more experience and some chops. This could take a while. Sorry again. Signing off.

I am making a retraction. I owe Vox an apology and I owe you guys an apology. Short story... user error. Big surprise, huh? I'm embarrassed. I'm going to go away until I've got more experience and some chops. This could take a while. Sorry again. Signing off.

No apology required!! I've done all sorts of user errors and have many more to come!

Getting to grips with any new equipment is full of trial and error...especially things like multi effects with heaps of menu's, options, shared controls etc.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Hell if we all left after user error no one would be here, I have pulled some monumental boners, yet here I am . Laugh it off and come back soon, learn from mistakes and just call it rock and roll if its wrong.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

We all make user errors from time to time and we learn from each other. Please don't abandon ship RLHofer, we are on your side!

Take care, Larryz

Archived