Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: RIP Bob Casale of DEVO

EscapeRocks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They blew my mind the first time I saw them. I think it was SNL. I wanted one of those yellow suits. RIP

You can still buy them off the Devo web site....the red Energy Dome hats, too.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes, Devo were real pioneers with a unique sound.

I love seeing live clips old bands like Devo and the Tubes, the keyboard player is usually next to some bank of oscillators and such, with patch cords, changing sound during the shows. Amazing.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Such sad news! And Devo drummer Alan Myers passed away last year. If only they could have lived until a ripe old age instead of a ripe middle age

I'm so glad Devo had something of a comeback a few years ago and that Bob and Alan had one more curtain call.

Then and nearly now:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Some crazy synth sounds here - love this live clip:

Was that Bob Casale on the keys? I read that "Bob 1" (Mothersbaugh) was the lead guitarist.

Damn you GovernorSilver! I have this on vinyl and always loved it but never thought about recreating the synth sound...until now. Wasted way too much time trying to do it on my Kronos just for sh!ts and grins. Not even close. Pretty awesome sound though. I've watched probably a dozen videos of them doing that song over the years up until recent, and probably about the best was around 1980. Pretty sure it was a mini.

My horrible attempt:

CLONK

:facepalm:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I saw them live a year or two ago and they had as much energy as ever, along with Mark Mothersbaugh and Bob Casale defying gravity with their quick manouevres on multiple synths and guitars.

Mark Mothersbaugh did the soundtrack to the new Lego movie. Not sure if Bob had done anything outside of Devo after the recent tour.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived