Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai announces the MP11

slowtraveler

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really liked the sound of the MP10, better than the MP6. It might have even been my favorite DP sound. So I'm with vox... if that calibre sound makes it down to an MP7 in the more reasonable weight class, the MP7 could be a real competitor to Nord et al.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It is a professional instrument with no compromises in quality so yes it is heavy.

At least someone still wants to produce the good stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

what about your ears?

As an ES6 owner it's a somewhat familiar piano sound. It's a bit hard to tell from the demo what new subtleties are present. I like it, although I prefer the mellower, darker variations. It looks tweakable enough.

The rest of the sounds appear serviceable though not jaw-dropping.

This would be a studio piece for me, so the selling point is the action, although I'd have to weigh it versus the VPC1, the ES7, and maybe the RD800.

-John

I make software noises.

I think the Rhodes and Wurli sounds in the MP10 are seriously underrated. Kawai did a great job with them. Actually, I like them more than the AP sounds. :crazy:

They were pretty good in the MP6 as well. The APs were OK, but I always felt like they were a bit of a compromise.

The older MP5 shared the MP8II's sound set. I liked that approach: choose between lighter weight and a lesser action or the full-on heavyweight wooden-keyed rig, but either way get the best Kawai sound engine. I hope the MP7/11 choice is not between a quality engine and a watered down compromise.

I think the design is outstanding. They have all the controls up front so you can stack keyboards, or have it in a multi-tier stand, and still reach everything.

Bravo for that alone!

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

The keys look like they're angled down in back (tilted away from the player). That makes sense, but it's unlike a piano.

learjeff, the image below compares the pivot length of a Kawai grand piano action with that of the MP11's 'GF' (Grand Feel) action, however you can also see the natural angle of the keys.

http://i.imgur.com/mtMhxHB.png

Note that in the above shot, the front-most key of the 'GF' action is already pushed down - the key behind it shows the naturally angled rest state.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Archived