Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tom Coster doing Europa as a piano trio ballad

Jazzmammal

This in awesomely cool:

Now for you guys with the seriously good ears can somebody give me all these killer subs? There's some really good stuff happening here and the rest of the vid isn't bad either.

We could use Europa as a good piano training exercise. I'll go first and do this up as best as I can and post it. Then you guys can tell me what I'm missing, somebody else can do the same thing and we'll talk about that one and so on.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing that, Bob.

Somewhat OT: Am I the only one who found it a bit odd to see him playing a piano from 61-note synth-action keyboard?

EDIT: Just watched the entire video, totally missed the second part earlier, where he goes beyond AP sounds :facepalm:. The synth-action makes much more sense now.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

It's a Korg promo video and he's demoing the Kronos so maybe that was part of it as in see how good a 61 key can sound.

Any ideas as to some of those sub chords? The changes I've been using for years are pretty basic, I got them from a sax player like 25 years ago or something. Cm, Fm, Bb7, Ebmaj7, Abmaj7 with the grace slide from A, Dm7b5, G7b9#5. He's throwing some very cool subs in there like whatever he's doing right at the top off the Cm7 or the Dm7b5 chord. He's doing something else there too and I can't figure it out.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

You need to understand that he's an organ player, and doesn't like playing weighted action. Look at his hands: he uses very little force/movement... He prefers 76 key length, but Korg doesn't make the Kronos in that configuration. Boy, did we hear about it from him!

:-)

Jerry

You need to understand that he's an organ player, and doesn't like playing weighted action. Look at his hands: he uses very little force/movement...

Thanks, this was quite educational. I did notice the difference in the playing; my first thought was of the action being the culprit.

Boy, did we hear about it from him!

You have my sympathies there. If you hadn't made the 73 weighted, you probably would have heard it from someone else...!

Bob, apologies for the minor derail - back to your interesting discussion.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Dave, just the man I was hoping to hear from. What is he playing for the 2-5-1 turnaround where I'm using the Dm7b5 and a G Alt? Those sound ok but not as cool as what he's doing.

Bob

Now for you guys with the seriously good ears can somebody give me all these killer subs?

Tom did a version similar to this on a solo album a while back. Here are the variations;

He often substitutes the Fmi7 chord with the same chord over Bb, making it a Bb11 chord, followed by a Bb13(b9) before going to the Ebmaj7. A few times he inserts an A9(#11) tritone sub before the Ab maj7, then substitutes an Ab11 (Gbmaj7/Ab) for the Abmaj7. The Dmi7(b5) is usually substituted with a D7(#9), followed by a G13(b9). Also, a few times he precedes the Fmi7 chord with a Gb13(#11), another tritone sub for the Cmi7.

Enjoy! :cool:

><>

Steve

Does anyone know that Europa is just the *A* section of "Autumn Leaves" in regards to the changes ?

I as well was pretty amazed how well he was getting around on the non-weighted action...but then remembered he was primarily an organist. Personally if I tried to play anything resembling a standard or jazz tune like that...it would be clam city. Can't play those synth action boards at all.

I enjoyed it more, musically, when he left Autumn leaves/Europa and just went to the one/two chord vamp. He really played the heck out of the Kronos and I thought it sounded great on all the patches he used. In that mode, he's really a great player ! Just a personal preference--I could have used the LH stating the harmony more on the vamp, whether it was a simple 3 or 4 note pad on a split patch or second keyboard. Still an excellent performance.

Yes those changes Bucktunes pointed out are standard chord subs one would use on, again, Autumn Leaves. Another common chord movement on AL used frequently in bars 3 & 4 of the A section, especially at faster tempos, in the more commonly played key of Bb :

Cm7 | F7 | Bm7 E7 | Bbm7 Eb7 | Am7b5 | D7 | Gm7 | G7 alt. or Db7 ||

Thanks for the video, enjoyed it. Makes for one heck of a case for buying a Kronos... :cool:

Perfect, thanks guys. I'll try those subs tomorrow when I have some time. If it's not too embarrassing I'll put it on Soundcloud so you guys can tell me if it sounds right or not.

To my ears anyway, I think my PC3 76 sounds just as good as the Kronos at least for this and just like Coster I'm primarily an organist but I do like playing piano on some things so the Kronos was off my list for the same reason. I want more than 61 keys too and the Kronos doesn't offer that so I got the PC3 and love it.

Bob

Archived