Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to make the 8 pin cable to vent for Hammond

Aussie_Chicago

Hi all, Ive had a few requests lately on making the 8 pin leslie cable to control the vent pedal and to separate the organ output from the extra voice output . I cant take credit for this, just passing along the info.

1- you will need a cable with 8 pin din http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=839-1067-nd&formaction=on&x=13&y=15

2-you will need a TS and a TRS 1/4" plug, OR you can just do the output signal without the speed control, you would just need the TS then.

3-you will need to solder, so soldering iron / solder needed, very easy to do, you will not need to get into the little pins on the 8 pin plug, that's why its easier to get the plug / cable part, rather than trying to solder the little pins in the 8 pin plug.

4- get some shrink wrap to protect everything.

5- Pay attention to the pin numbers and corresponding wire colors here - http://www.tensility.com/pdffiles/10-00438.pdf

Red wire solders to signal output hot on TS plug(pin 1)TIP

Orange wire solders to output ground on TS plug(pin 5 )SLEEVE

Green wire solders to TIP of TRS plug- leslie fast / slow(pin 7)

Blue wire solders to RING of TRS plug- leslie stop(pin 8)

Orange wire and white wire solders to SLEEVE of TRS plug- leslie ground (pin 5 and pin 2)

You may need to join the orange and white wires together, both ground wires , I think pin 5 orange wire is just a signal gnd and pin 2 white wire is a leslie detect gnd, but I cant remember right now without taking my cable apart. Before sealing everything, try just soldering orange wire to signal plug sleeve, and just white to leslie sleeve plug, you may not need to join both together, or it may be the other way around...?

Test everything first, then double check your soldering job, and then seal it all up with shrink tubing - make sure you put the shrink tubing on and slide it up the cable before soldering anything !!

I also noticed you have to push the 8 pin plug in fairly firmly into the 8 pin socket on the back of the organ, it didn't work for me and I couldn't figure out why, was just the cable wasn't pushed into the keyboard far enough.....duh !

So, with this homemade cable, you will be able to separate the organ output from the extra voice L/R outputs ,and if you do the speed control as well, you can control the vent with either a Hammond footswitch, or the panel slow fast buttons, or a leslie CU1 handswitch.

Enjoy ! Don't burn yourself doing this please....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if you aren't going to do the TRS for the control buttons (I have a footswitch connected to my vent for that), you'd still want to connect the white wire to ground to trigger the Leslie present signal to the organ? Is that right?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks, that's what I thought, but wanted confirmation! My 8 pin plug/cable shipped today.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived