Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any recommendations for The Nice?

Sundown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out the 1967 debut album Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack when they had a guitarist. The Nice was P.P. Arnold's backup band in their early days.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

...my order of preference.

Five Bridges: Emerson smokes it throughout. Some of his best Hammond playing EVER shows up on this pre-Moog album.

Elegy: Lots of fine live work on piano and Hammond. Jazzy improvisation on live piano section. My definitive "America" version, as well.

Nice: Live performances of "Rondo" and "She Belongs to Me" showcase Emerson on Hammond live. Studio section features "Diary of an Empty Day".

If you're looking for a good "balanced" (good vocals/tight rhythm section) band, these probably aren't for you. If you're looking for smoking keyboards, then-these are your cup of tea, as it was and remains mine.

The Nice was Keith Emersons' band, make no mistake about it.

+1

I wore out these albums as a kid...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

one of my favorites was the brandenberg concerto 3rd movement from that album , he used an L-100 on most of the early stuff,

it's all they could afford at the time I think . another neat one was a live version of "country pie" on their five bridges album , oh and one more , "for example" which was from the same album with "diary to an empty day" I believe .they used to get a lot of air time in new York on wnew , used to be a great station back then

Yeah... Keith is much more than a Moog guy... You can tell why he hired Greg Lake as soon as he heard him with Crimson...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Ed A: yup, I've had that on vinyl forever. It's basically Five Bridges and Elegy combined. You can read more about it here

Those two along with the Live At The Fillmore are the best. Ars Longa Vita Brevis and the earlier ones don't hold up quite as well (a bit dated sounding) but if you're an Emerson fan ( and I certainly am) they have their moments. In the Nice you really get to hear Keith improvise more than in ELP, and on piano you can hear the Brubeck influence on his playing.

Jerry

Great stuff.

Just want to point out that Five Bridges is about my home town Newcastle Upon Tyne........it has a few more than that now!

Next logical progression is to listen to Refugee which spun off when ELP was formed.......Patrick Moraz is a great sub....

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Here's the earliest Emerson I've ever seen:

With Gary Farr

Jerry

Now that was great! Thanks for the link.

Thanks guys...

I listened to some clips on iTunes, and quickly realized that Keith has been weaving Nice riffs into ELP performances for some time. You can hear clips from "America" in their Royal Albert Hall appearance from the 90's.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Refugee.......

[video:youtube]

I first read about this album in the 2nd issue of Contemporary Keyboard. Stunning. If it were released today it'd probably sell 3 copies. Unless they could license parts of it for movies or commercials. :(

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Coincidentally I just went through my collection a few weeks back, and found the rare Swedish concert to be their most energetic playing altogether -- though it's early so doesn't include some of their later material.

The Immediate label has an affordable multi-CD compilation of the main albums, BBC sessions, B-sides, etc. You'd still have to buy the final album (and post-humous releases) separately, of course, as they switched labels.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived