Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TC Electronics replaced like a Boss!

02R96

Today I pulled the trigger on one of these...

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae32/02R96/frv-1_top.jpg

The sudden death of my Hall of Fame reverb left me soured on anything expensive, so I chose a tried and true brand. Here's the best part: Today I received an Email from ProGuitarShop.com. They are having a Valentines Day weekend sale: 20% Off Effects Pedals. That's all I needed to see. Final cost (with free Priority Mail shipping)...

$111.20 :thu:

At checkout, enter coupon code "LOVE20" They're also offering 15% off guitars and amps (coupon code "LOVE15").

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to read that! Hope you enjoy that Boss FRV-1 and that it's much, MUCH more reliable than the TC Electronic Hall of fame that failed on you. And I'm sure that customer service and support is SURE to vastly exceed sorry-@ss3d TC's, too!

I have a Boss RT-20 Leslie-sim pedal, and it's excellent.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

i would never buy anything from tc after dealing with them in the past. they really kinda blow.

even their free stuff i got... i don't use. the polytune i use a killswitch, the nova delay is in the box it shipped in.

i use a nux time force multi delay... 1/4 of the price, and does everything the tc does and more.

Well just for fun, I Emailed TC to find out what it would cost to repair the HOF pedal. Curious on what they charge. I hate to just throw it away, but I don't really want to put much more into it. It's not THAT nice of a pedal... :P

Dan

I received a reply about 2 hours later saying for 60 bucks plus shipping they'll fix it.

I'll have to think about it...

Well, replacement cost on a TCE HoF Reverb seems to be between $99-119. And there are, as you well know, lots of good reverb pedals in the $100-200 range, especially since you've already replaced it with the Boss 63.

Ask yourself, is ther anything the HoF does that the Boss doesn't? Is there a time when you'd like to have a second reverb pedal on your board so you could have a different setting available at the flick of your foot?

If the answer is "yes" to either, I'd say it was worth it. ONCE. If/when it crapped out again, I'd toss it. Or send it to someone like pinkjimiphoton to gut then fill with something kewl.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

>>> I will give TC kudos for responding to you! <<<

I don't know if this makes a difference but I Emailed their "Lifetime Service Center" out of Williamsville, NY. I'll probably send it in for repair, but not right away. There are other pedals I want more than a repaired HOF.

60 bucks is doable for a $150.00 pedal. But only once!

Dan

I would not spend the $60 bucks and would toss the broken pedal. +1 as DannyA said, you really should ask yourself if you need a second reverb pedal on the board. The repaired pedal probably won't last any longer than it did the 1st time you put it in line. I'm interested in your review of the Boss pedal.
Take care, Larryz

So that would make it a $210 investment - with shipping probably more like $225 - so is the repaired pedal worth $225?

Sometimes it's better to just except the loss and not throw good money after bad - especially when it is supporting a questionable company.

just saying...

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

That's one of the reasons I haven't jumped on sending it in. I really want a decent delay pedal, and the combo of it and the Boss reverb might be all I need.

Larryz - I haven't received it yet. I ordered it too late (on Friday), for Pro Guitar Shop to ship, so it went out late Monday. I should have it by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Dan

Thanks Dan, Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Boss pedal. You can probably send it back if you don't like it, but I think you'll keep it! There is no better clean sound than a Reverb and a Delay combo IMHO. I have an MXR Carbon Copy Delay that I really like!
Take care, Larryz

I got home from work today and there it was; the FRV-1. Unfortunately, I couldn't try it out right away. I had ice dams (damns) to knock down first.

The Test... I used my Ibanez ART 100 and my Orange Tiny Terror set for a clear clean tone. The verdict: This thing is freaking amazing! It sounds just like a spring reverb, only cleaner. If I cranked up the Dwell, the classic drippy/springy tones appeared. Backing it off reduced the artifacts and gave it a Hall like effect. I also found by playing with the mix control, I could almost dial in a Room verb. But on all settings it never lets you forget it's a spring reverb (even if it's digitally modeled). The only negative I can find is it can get a little shrill, but that is easily handled by the Tone control.

It's a keeper. It's going to be fun figuring out what it can do. Now, all I need is a good delay pedal to go with it. Hmmm...

Dan

It's a keeper. It's going to be fun figuring out what it can do. Now, all I need is a good delay pedal to go with it. Hmmm...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EchoPark/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CarbonCopy/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DD20/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TitanDelay/

Good things are said of all 4 of these. I have the Echo Park and the Titan.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Glad it worked for you Dan, good report! Keep us posted when you get that delay as it will really make that verb come alive. Most of the time I play clean. I leave the verb on all the time in a setting I like the best and then kick the delay in and out... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Does it make that crashing sound when you kick it? Now THAT would be a cool feature! :rawk:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Glad for ya, Dan!

Man, I know they're not cheap, but maaan the Strymon El Capistan "dTape" (digital tape-echo-sim) pedal is entirely too cool; I love mine. The Infinite Repeat/Feedback foot-switch is icing on the cake. I get a LOT of miles outta that pedal, AND that foot-switch, and it never fails to elicit impressed amazement from bandmates and audience alike.

Strymon also makes a very cool analog-flavored "dBucket" echo pedal, the Brigadier, with some similar features.

Both are capable of full stereo L and R Ins and Outs, preserving any stereo signals put through, via one In jack selectable as Mono-TS or Stereo-TRS, and two separate L and R Out jacks.

Does it make that crashing sound when you kick it? Now THAT would be a cool feature! :rawk:

Danelectro Spring King and Van Amps reverb pedals will do that... :thu:

Seriously? That's hilarious. LOL.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Seriously? That's hilarious. LOL.

Yeah, they've got springs in 'em, they're actual spring-reverb pedals.

I could swear that I vaguely remember some sort of pedal that even actually had a "crash" button or foot-switch on it, but my forgettory is fully functioning...

Ah well that makes sense then. I thought you meant digital emulations that sampled or modeled a crash.

Dan

Ah well that makes sense then. I thought you meant digital emulations that sampled or modeled a crash.

The digital-sims of spring-reverbs on Johnson J-Station and DigiTech GNX4 units that I have included zingy, bounging little artifacts, etc. in optional 'old, worn' spring-'verb characteristics; but, they sounded a bit canned and cookie-cutter repetitious, if ya get my meaning.

Archived