Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I pulled the trigger on a Hammond XK1C

Steve Force

After long debate I decided to score a Hammond XK1C to go along with my new Casio PX-5S as my main gigging axes. Scored through my buddies at Sweetwater. Should be in my grubby hands tomorrow.

Along with my "Youngster" band where I play bass and sing (other than me the guys are 65-70 and long-time gigging cats that play for fun) I am probably gonna join an established Classic rock band where I will play Hammond, piano,some synth, second guitar (My Gibson Les Paul 1960's reissue) and sing.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will not be disappointed. I have the same setup with a couple of other boards for the classic rock band I'm in. You will probably need to tweak the Leslie settings to your taste along with some other parameters but it is one hell of a board. I'm not finished with my tweaking but I have it to a decent point at this time. The Leslie sim is very good and to the point that I'm not using my Vent anymore. Not saying that it is better but good enough for what I'm doing and less equipment to set up. Now, what to do with the Vent!

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

You will not be disappointed. I have the same setup with a couple of other boards for the classic rock band I'm in. You will probably need to tweak the Leslie settings to your taste along with some other parameters but it is one hell of a board. I'm not finished with my tweaking but I have it to a decent point at this time. The Leslie sim is very good and to the point that I'm not using my Vent anymore. Not saying that it is better but good enough for what I'm doing and less equipment to set up. Now, what to do with the Vent!

Thanks for this info. I will ask our good Buddy Jim Alfredson for help on tweaking and will also forgo any external Leslie assist other than the on-board Leslie Sim. Like you, Jim has said it is pretty darned good. Eventually I want to score a small Leslie for the complete package but for now, this rig should rock.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Thanks for this info. I will ask our good Buddy Jim Alfredson for help on tweaking and will also forgo any external Leslie assist other than the on-board Leslie Sim. Jim said it is pretty darned good. Eventually I want to score a small Leslie for the complete package but for now, this rig should rock.

I believe Jim is creating a tonewheel set for this board if I recall correctly. The Leslie sim is good and there is a lot of tweaking that can be done to it. Only a purist would say that the Vent or Burn is better. I haven't been that pure in a long time so I'll just stick with the on-board. YMMV

John Cassetty

Congrats.

Keep us updated on what you think of the board.

I have a CP4 and have been thinking of jumping into the Sk / xK pool, just need to decide which one is right for me. Mean sk2 or sk1? When I was doing the Motown thing the sk1 would have perfect, but now that I am really into jazz I think the sk2 is better.

Good luck!

Congrats.

Keep us updated on what you think of the board.

I have a CP4 and have been thinking of jumping into the Sk / xK pool, just need to decide which one is right for me. Mean sk2 or sk1? When I was doing the Motown thing the sk1 would have perfect, but now that I am really into jazz I think the sk2 is better.

Good luck!

Yeah I think so as well. I mean that extra manual kicks ass.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Thanks for this info. I will ask our good Buddy Jim Alfredson for help on tweaking and will also forgo any external Leslie assist other than the on-board Leslie Sim. Jim said it is pretty darned good. Eventually I want to score a small Leslie for the complete package but for now, this rig should rock.

I believe Jim is creating a tonewheel set for this board if I recall correctly. The Leslie sim is good and there is a lot of tweaking that can be done to it. Only a purist would say that the Vent or Burn is better. I haven't been that pure in a long time so I'll just stick with the on-board. YMMV

I am almost positive he is creating one as well. In a classic rock setting what does "Pure" mean? Other than a real Leslie moving air that is.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I am almost positive he is creating one as well. In a classic rock setting what does "Pure" mean? Other than a real Leslie moving air that is.

+1 on this

John Cassetty

This is my current rig as well. I have created a preset for my PX-5S that sets up the sliders and knobs to control the drawbars for the organ great manual, so I can play 2 manual organ when I want.

I just bought a Mini Vent with Bruce Wahler's Mini Remote mod, because although I like the leslie sim, I cannot live with the overdrive.

The plan is to mount the Mini Vent on my pedal board, and control it from the 8 pin DIN out of the XK-1C, while plugging in a pedal to the organ speed control. So I can switch fast from either the footpedal or the XK panel, and turn slow off from the XK panel. These are ideas I stole from Jim's description of his Janiva rig. Since all wires are harnessed, it takes no more set up time.

I'm also eagerly awaiting Jim's tonewheel set. In the meantime, I've set up my bright presets with the TC (tone control) param rolled off so that full bars doesn't rip my head off.

I also switched Percussion and Chorus Vib to not change values when I change presets, because that freaks me out. So just drawbar settings and effects change.

I plan on grabbing one of those new but tiny Yamaha MG06 mixers when they come out, and mounting that on my pedalboard also. Bye bye rack!

It's a heck of a tiny (weight wise) rig!

Moe

---

Oh, and BTW, you know that lovely tempting blank space on the panel?

A Waldorf Blofeld fits perfectly, should your rig need more synth goodness!

...and it loads custom samples, too!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Oh, and BTW, you know that lovely tempting blank space on the panel?

A Waldorf Blofeld fits perfectly, should your rig need more synth goodness!

waldorfblofeld01_l.jpg

beautiful!!!

Just started reading this thread because I've been loving my sk1 and have been considering a px5s to replace my ns2

but this looks magnificent - do you have pix of your rig?

thanks for sharing!!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Enjoy! My SK1 was supposed to arrive today but with the weather and holiday on Monday, it's now saying Tuesday on the Fed Ex tracker. :( I was looking forward to spending a gigless weekend getting it worked into the rig.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I took vacation yesterday to wait here for new gear that did not arrive. I wanted to have my rack done this weekend. USPS priority mail still says expect date of yesterday.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Haven't actually bought the Blofeld yet, just fantasizing for now...

Tease! ;)

BTW: Do you mean to set on the XK-1C, and to be controlled by the PX5S? or??

No, the PX5S has its own quite capable synth, although it is not as elaborate as the Blofeld.

PX5S midi out to XK1C midi in, to act as a lower organ keyboard, and XK1C midi out to Blofeld in, for when I don't need organ on the top board.

The only downside to that would be no pitch bend or mod wheel controls for the Blofeld. I suppose if I really missed it, I could merge in a nano controller.

Moe

---

The only downside to that would be no pitch bend or mod wheel controls for the Blofeld. I suppose if I really missed it, I could merge in a nano controller.

tricky since the nanokontrol is USB only

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

tricky since the nanokontrol is USB only

True. Blofeld has midi available via USB also, but I am a hater of using USB onstage.

Moe

---

Blofeld has midi available via USB also

only as a slave device, not a host (i.e. you can't plug a USB keyboard or controller into it... you have to have a computer or similar device to interface between the two)

I have my new XK1C and am loving it. One small problem is getting a Flash drive that is compatible. I do have one running but want another for backup. I have tried 4 other drives from 2gig to 8 gig formatted in FAT32 and they all just sit and spin.

Manual says to go to Hammond web site to get compatible chart but that doesn't seem to exist. Any suggestions?

There is a compatibilty chart for the SK series, it may be the same info...

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the great variety of USB Flash Drives available, be sure

to select one which is compatible with the Sk-series instruments. The following have

been tested and confirmed to be compatible:

Kingston

Lexar

PNY

SanDiSk

Emtek

http://hammondorganco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/USING-THE-USB-PORT-120613-FINAL-WITH-LINKS-reduced.pdf

Archived