Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Step One of the Rig Refresh

DanL

I ordered an SK1 73 from Sweetwater yesterday. It'll be here tomorrow, I can't wait! Got them to throw in the Hammond gig bag for it as well. I'll have Saturday evening and all day Sunday to play around with it to get things ready for rehearsals with both bands on Tues/Weds. I have 2 gigs with one of the bands next weekend and should have no problem getting it worked into the rig by then.

I've already made a spreadsheet for the songs I need to reprogram sounds on the S70XS to offload synth stuff I was doing on the Nord Stage. Some of the splits and layers will be a challenge with the 4 part limit on the Yamaha unless I want to start from scratch and use song/sequence mode, but with the Hammond EV library, some of it may not be so bad.

After listening to more demos last night, especially Jim A's where he's using the internal Leslie sim, I might part ways with my Vent. I have it in the back of my rack and have no way to use bypass mode when I use an extra voice on the Hammond. The beauty of having it in the rack is ease of setup, and having to pull it out and sit it on a keyboard to hit bypass isn't a plan I want to follow. Plus- if I need organ and an extra voice at the same time, there is really no workaround for that unless Hammond makes an o/s update that allows you to split the outputs like the Nord can do. So I'm going to do my best to tweak the SK1 Leslie settings and get them close enough that the Vent won't be a requirement.

Now, to wait for my favorite Fed Ex words "Out for Delivery"!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. Nothing like the feeling of a new fresh keyboard arriving & opening the box! :)

I also did tweaking on my PC3K7 to match the Leslie settings to my vent. Side by side there was hardly any difference so the vent went.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Congrats. Nothing like the feeling of a new fresh keyboard arriving & opening the box! :)

I also did tweaking on my PC3K7 to match the Leslie settings to my vent. Side by side there was hardly any difference so the vent went.

Feel like sharting those PC3 Leslie settings?

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

After listening to more demos last night, especially Jim A's where he's using the internal Leslie sim, I might part ways with my Vent. I have it in the back of my rack and have no way to use bypass mode when I use an extra voice on the Hammond...Plus- if I need organ and an extra voice at the same time, there is really no workaround for that unless Hammond makes an o/s update that allows you to split the outputs

The OS already supports splitting outputs to do exactly what you want to do. It requires an additional cable:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/hammond-003-011-059613-sk-8-pin-to-1-4-adapter.html

That will give you a new 1/4" organ-only sound out to your Vent, while you can play the extra voices through the standard 1/4" outs. So this takes care of everything you mentioned.

The thing you will probably want to keep the Vent around for, no matter how close you can get with the internal rotary effect settings, is the overdrive, which the SK1 cannot compete with.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

$60 bucks for an adapter, sheesh! I read about that in the long SK1 tips and hints thread. It's a possibility, but I'm a cheap bastard and can't see spending that on a cable.

I don't set my vent for a lot of dirt, and with the Nord's lower output it's hard to drive the vent the right way. It ends up being too much grit at low volume to get the heavy distortion when you crank it, or barely enough. Since the Vent is in the back of my rack where I can't reach it, I pretty much do a set it and forget it on all of the knobs. If I want a lot of overdrive I turn up the distortion knob on the Nord, blasphemy, I know. I mostly run a cleaner sound that gets a little bit of grit when you floor the expression pedal.

I'll see what happens with the SK settings, if it's that bad, then I'll get the cable. But again, I also use the Nord internal sim on some gigs where I don't bring my rack, and while it's not optimal, it's not bad, and I know I'll get a better sound from the SK.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'm getting to the same place; I've tweaked the double leslie to my 122. I've got it sounding good enough that I could sell the Vent (but I won't). I wish I could tweak the chorus rate of the C/V so that it wouldn't clash with the fast leslie but the chorus rate is not adjustable.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I ended up tweaking the patch called "Ventiklator" because I couldn't wrap my head around modifying the double Leslie.

I was able to modify the "Ventiklator" Leslie ramp times and speed to sound very close to those on the Vent. The only problem I have with it is it is VERY bright. The high drawbars can cut your head off. It's effective in a band setting but not as authentic as the Vent.

I've only gigged with my Vent one time, but I use my modified Leslie stuff regularly. It's pretty good.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Kurzweil splits the leslie functionality into two effects, KB3a and KB3b. Cabinet simulation and such are in KB3a and leslie spinning characteristics are in KB3b. With the double leslie there are two KB3a's and two KB3b's (one for each leslie). So whatever adjustment you do for one, you should seriously consider doing for the other. My advice is to sync the ramp speeds, slow speeds, fast speeds and panning "center" so that the leslies spin and ramp speeds are identical. If not, they will get out of sync and excess warble occurs (especially when played in mono and in fast speed, it degrades the sound IMO). When these four are sync'd up much of the warble disappears. Another source that interacts with the sound and causes warble is the C/V; it clashes with the leslie (especially in fast speed)and unfortunately the C/V chorus rate cannot be adjusted to get it to sound right with the internal leslie. For some reason it doesn't clash with the Vent nearly as much as the double leslie.

I would suggest that to not hijack this thread any further a separate topic be opened up specific to the PC3 leslie.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

@Dave I'm gigging years and I've only ever seen a Kurzweil (in the UK/Ireland) on a music theatre gig years ago.

I suspect (if I'd had the chance to try one) I'd have bought a K2000 when it came it and still be gigging on it twenty years later.

@DanL - your two bands, any chance you could post and remind me what you do with each?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

stillgigging, I'm actually in 4 bands, but 2 of them don't require a lot of sonic variety so not a lot of programming going on.

The main band is a dance/party band, female singer, guitar, bass, drums, keys. I cover a lot of ground in this band, from organ, pianos, clav, synths, horns, strings, vocoder. It really tests my rig.

The other band that is gigging is a "hippy" band- Dead, Allmans, Little Feat type stuff. I've been with those guys for over 25 years. That's a mostly organ and piano/EP gig. I usually use both boards with them because we do bigger venues/outdoor stuff, but I could cover this gig with the SK1. I've done it with the Nord Stage many times.

Band 3 is a Pink Floyd tribute. This one is a few months from playing out. Another one that tests my rig with all of the synth stuff, lots of fun.

Band 4 is a blues band I sit in with whenever I'm available. That's pretty much a 1 board gig, organ and piano. The SK will fit perfectly in this role, as did the Nord Stage. This is the band I'm most looking forward to using the updated organ sound with. I do a lot of the "Jimmy Smith" leslie on brake and C3 chorus/vibrato with these guys and the SK will shine in that role.

FedEx is now saying delivery on Tuesday. :( I was looking forward to working with it today and tomorrow and having it ready for rehearsals on Tues/Weds.

I spent a few hours last night on the S70XS, and got almost all of the reprogramming done that I needed to do. The dance band stuff is all done and most of the Floyd band. 2 songs are going to require some extra work, Welcome to the Machine I'm going to have to create some of the noise patches from scratch and work out how some of the other synth stuff is going to get layered in. Have a Cigar I had a cool split going on the Nord, where I had a synth string on 1 panel and then a lead sound on another to play the harmony line to the main synth riff, which I was triggering from the Nord to the Moog. I need to midi the Yamaha to the Moog for this, but I'm going to need a thru box where I can plug the Yamaha to the midi in and then have an out for the SK and for the Moog. So that might be delayed until I can get that hardware, but it's not a problem right now.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

$60 bucks for an adapter, sheesh! I read about that in the long SK1 tips and hints thread. It's a possibility, but I'm a cheap bastard and can't see spending that on a cable.

Wow! Let's see-- Say, $4.00 for the 8 pin (and THAT is high..) $.50 for 1 foot of Mic cable, Say $3.00 for the female adapter... Oh, that's right--labor!! it would probably take.... 10 minutes to strip, tin, solder.

Yeah, $60 is a TAD high.. :rolleyes:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Wow! Let's see-- Say, $4.00 for the 8 pin (and THAT is high..) $.50 for 1 foot of Mic cable, Say $3.00 for the female adapter... Oh, that's right--labor!! it would probably take.... 10 minutes to strip, tin, solder.

Yeah, $60 is a TAD high.. :rolleyes:

If you want to build your own, wiring info is discussed at

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2338747/1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, my soldering skills are rudimentary at best. It'd take me an hour to build a cable like this, working in tight constraints of all those little pins. My time is worth more than $60 an hour to me, so I'll end up buying it, if it turns out I really need one.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Trust me, making your own cable is easy, the only soldering you have to do is 2 wires from the cable onto a ts plug, took me about 10 mins and about $15 to make it.You don't have to worry about going anywhere near the 8 pin end. The leslie sim in the sk is good, but the vent is better.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

If 6' is long enough you don't need to worry about soldering the din plug. Aussie sent me all the info I needed. My issue was I need to use 11 pin and you need to send voltage to the organ.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/10-00438/839-1067-ND/2625288

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I bought a fancy right angle DIN plug shell because I want all my cables to be right angled coming off the organ. They don't sell right angle 8 pins but they do 5 pins.

So I have a right angle 5 pin shell, and ordered a straight 8 pin plug, and am going to try to swap inserts.

I seem to be getting more obsessive about my rigs as I get older. Years ago I would have made the wiring approximately right and slapped some cable ties on it. Now everything has to be perfect. :facepalm:

Moe

---

Trust me, making your own cable is easy, the only soldering you have to do is 2 wires from the cable onto a ts plug, took me about 10 mins and about $15 to make it.You don't have to worry about going anywhere near the 8 pin end. The leslie sim in the sk is good, but the vent is better.

Can you pm me instructions on how to do this, or is it in the other thread somewhere?

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I ordered the 8 pin cable from Digi-Key today. I'll probably cut the cable short and put a female 1/4" end on then I can use any 1/4" cord to connect it, like the expensive one that Kraft has.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I ordered the 8 pin cable from Digi-Key today. I'll probably cut the cable short and put a female 1/4" end on then I can use any 1/4" cord to connect it, like the expensive one that Kraft has.

Send me your email and Ill send you the diagram, just make sure you pay attention to the wiring diagram from digi key on the product page..ie wire colors v's pin numbers.You will most likely want to do both the output and the speed control so you can do the switching from the panel or a footswitch.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Archived