Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Aira System-1

MorayM

Here it is:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SYSTEM-1/images/top_L.jpg

I didn't quite twig what the deal was with it until I read the details properly - it looks like a 2-osc fixed architecture VA, but it's also a software instrument host! I guess this ties in the Axial, you can download a SH-101 into it, and it can work as a SH-101 as well as the generic VA. If there's a good library of emulations, this could be very cool indeed. Not sure about the keybed though...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just to show you how snobby some synth heads are

over on another forum some are gigging it because of "only" the 25 keys, really slamming it.

If it has MIDI in then trigger it from a larger controller, OR just play the damn thing as it is ..

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I'm not a synth head nor a snob :laugh: but I'll never buy a 25 key synth. Three octaves on the Minaik has proven to me that it's the fewest number of keys I can live with.

Otherwise this looks to be kind of cool.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Pretty happy with my 25-key Microbrute, and I don't have a phobia of plugging a MIDI cable in from a larger keyboard.

I have a friend who has a vintage SH-101. I should ask him what he likes about it, compared to the other vintage monosynths in its collection. It seems like a lot of SH-101 fans love the sequencer.

they are up on the Sweetwater now

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

The real head-turner here is Roland's new Analog Circuit Behavior. This may very well be their next gen sound generation for future synths, and if I understand the press release, they will be releasing many of their "beloved" classic synths as plug-ins for this synth (and possibly future synths). The System-1 by itself may fit a niche, but the Analog Circuit Behavior concept is what I'm keeping an eye on.

~ That guy

I think it's a great idea and hope they sell heaps.

Yes 25 keys is too small for me - but I like this idea a lot. I don't want a computer (or an iPad) on stage - but I'm completely cool with using one to edit before the show.

Good luck Roland.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Here it is:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SYSTEM-1/images/top_L.jpg

I didn't quite twig what the deal was with it until I read the details properly - it looks like a 2-osc fixed architecture VA, but it's also a software instrument host! I guess this ties in the Axial, you can download a SH-101 into it, and it can work as a SH-101 as well as the generic VA. If there's a good library of emulations, this could be very cool indeed. Not sure about the keybed though...

I have a SH-101. Why is this something you want to emulate. It sounds like the orginal Nintendo game.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

FWIW, I was hands-on with 3 of the 4 units yesterday (the System 1 isn't going to be around for a few months yet, it seems).

I had a blast with them all. In order of preference, just in terms of the fun I was having, would be TR-8, TB-3, VT-3.

They look great, feel great, sound great, great price point.

Are they for everyone? Hell no.

Are they for me? Well, I just bought a Push, but I can see adding one or more of these pieces to my "have fun messing around" rig. Probably better suited for the younger generation for whom the TR-808 and 909 are echoes from a dusty past, but I might just surprise myself (and my audiences) with some mad electronic wizardry in cool green trim. ;)

I have a SH-101. Why is this something you want to emulate. It sounds like the orginal Nintendo game.

Ask Portishead, LCD Soundsystem, Juan Maclean, Orbital, Future Sound of London, The Prodigy, 808 State, Devo, Luke Vibert, Dirty Vegas, Josh Wink, The Crystal Method, Aphex Twin, Suarepusher, Chemical Brothers, Boards of Canada...

Man if any of those guys want another SH-101 they can have mine for $650. That should cover all the rig changes I have made this year.

It is gray, everything works. I don't have the mini keytar arm thingy though.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The SH-101 is only one of the planned "plug-out" emulations they'll make available.

Again, to add to my message above, this gear probably isn't targeted at the average KC member... ;)

The SH-101 is only one of the planned "plug-out" emulations they'll make available.

Again, to add to my message above, this gear probably isn't targeted at the average KC member... ;)

I read/heard somewhere that if a function isn't available in the particular emulation, it won't be lit on the System-1. I'm taking a wait and see with the System-1 as we don't know what all is going to be available.

Roland did a lot of things right on the Airas. First the pricing is excellent. They don't look cheap and have to assume they don't feel too cheap. And the underlying processing is strong: 96KHz, 32-bits, so the price hasn't compromised that. Hell, AudioRealism wants $130 for their TB-303 software clone. The Aira TB-3 for $300 with a touch screen and knobs.

Busch.

I read/heard somewhere that if a function isn't available in the particular emulation, it won't be lit on the System-1.

Correct.

I'm taking a wait and see with the System-1 as we don't know what all is going to be available.

As am I.

One other thing worth mentioning that'll probably get some folks' knickers in a twist is that it's virtually the same action from the slim PCR-M1, meaning it's got shallow key travel. Remember, though, this isn't for piano players, it's for electro-kids... ;)

What this means is that all 4 pieces share the exact same profile to create a uniform height across when you put them all side by side. They look great together in real life. :)

Roland did a lot of things right on the Airas. First the pricing is excellent. They don't look cheap and have to assume they don't feel too cheap. And the underlying processing is strong: 96KHz, 32-bits, so the price hasn't compromised that. Hell, AudioRealism wants $130 for their TB-303 software clone. The Aira TB-3 for $300 with a touch screen and knobs.

Absolutely true... and even though the base of the cases is plastic, they don't feel flimsy or cheap at all, and the metal top and green plastic trim (which isn't just painted green, it's green plastic through, so if you ding the edge you won't see black showing through, a nice touch) give it a nice solid feel while you're playing them.

We had it running through a full QSC system and the 808 kick was absolutely MONSTROUS. :D (the 3rd available kick is a 'circuit bent' 808 kick with incredibly long decay... very cool sound).

Anyway, yeah... me likey. :)

(and I'm not being compensated by anyone to say that ;) )

they don't feel flimsy or cheap at all, and the metal top and green plastic trim (which isn't just painted green, it's green plastic through, so if you ding the edge you won't see black showing through, a nice touch) give it a nice solid feel while you're playing them.

We had it running through a full QSC system and the 808 kick was absolutely MONSTROUS. :D (the 3rd available kick is a 'circuit bent' 808 kick with incredibly long decay... very cool sound).

Just might want to check these out, Sven. Hope they actually show up at the local GC...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Hell, AudioRealism wants $130 for their TB-303 software clone. The Aira TB-3 for $300 with a touch screen and knobs.

Busch.

And swing! Apparently the original TB-303 had no swing function, nor do most of the hardware clones out there. I have a Bass Bot TT-303 on order but that doesn't rule out the TB-3 for me, especially after discovering the work of TM404 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I pre-ordered the TR-8, TB-3, and VT-3 from Sweetwater back on Feb. 14. Got an email on Feb. 20 from my rep saying it would probably be 3 weeks. That would be the end of this week.

I didn't get the keyboard because I want to add these to my JP-80. If I really, really like them I may consider the System 1 in the future.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived