Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT iPhone 5, start up times.

I-missRichardTee

My iPhone 5 ( one Generation less than latest ) takes at least 5 minutes to boot up after I find it dead in the morning. I have always wondered is there a "trick" to speed up the elapsed start times. Also, lately it seems to be more than 5 minutes. Finally, is AC direct, the quicker way, versus eg plugging into my Macbook?

Why would it seem to be taking even longer?

I could swear ( I have not sat around with a stop watch to make scientific tests ) that there were times, iphone 5 started up much quicker than 5 minutes... seems like I have seen very very short ( seconds ) times, on a few rare occasions. Hmmm

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes to start from a dead battery? With a charge and powered off mine boots in probably less than a minute.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Just got off the phone with a tech ( I think it was 10 minutes an estimate ) after waiting for it to boot up. She said it depends.. it could take more than 5 minutes.

As it did today. What is not clear is why the variation in time, from a dead start.

Maybe a dead start is not a fixed state of aaaa "deadness". Maybe there is dead enough to turn off, and somehow deader than dead?

Thank you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I know if it is REALLY dead, it won't start until the battery has a certain amount of charge. Maybe part of that 5 min is waiting for the battery to get some charge.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

J Dan Hey Happy New Year and Happy Valentine Day? Naaa

So there are varying degrees of deadness? I do not understand this distinction.

My phone is seldom, virtually never ( and if so, only to reset it for a min or so ) manually turned off. It therefore always surprises me how weak the battery is ( a notorious downside of things iPhone) when I find it off, eg after a nap.

Since "it" by design turns itself off... I do not see a distinction between degrees of deadness of battery.

Anyone care to s'plain? Thanks

Are you talking about seeing the Apple logo and waiting for it to start, or something else?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A battery on the shelf, so to speak, will drain. It shuts off when the voltage gets to a certain point, but just because it's off doesn't mean the battery will hold the little remaining charge indefinitely...it will continue to drain, albeit at a slower pace. So if it shut itself off at 9pm and you discover it at 9am, it will be more dead than if you witnessed it shutting down and plugged it in immediately.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

J Dan that just occurred this minute. I caught iPhone turning off, and immediately plugged into AC, not Macbook, and it turned on in a min or two; faster than the 5+ minutes it often takes. Thanks

My trick is to plug mine in before I go to bed. :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I know if it is REALLY dead, it won't start until the battery has a certain amount of charge. Maybe part of that 5 min is waiting for the battery to get some charge.
That would be my thought also. If you run it down to absolute 0%, it needs to charge up to 2-3% before it can restart. Best way to charge it up is with an iPad adapter, a little bit more juice than the standard iPhone charger.

You can also decrease the charging time by putting the iPhone in Airplane mode while charging.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived