Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Weather in the South

ITGITC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll take the beer outta the fridge and put it outside on the deck.

I'm not sure if you're joking, but a fridge full of cold beer will actually help to keep the perishable food cooler longer if the power goes out.

Yeah, but opening and closing the refrigerator door every time someone wants a beer will negate that. :(

And YES, I often stretch the truth. :laugh:

But it's OK. We won't need to open the fridge door, there are already three cases on the deck! :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

And we can't buy a drop of water out here in S. Cal. :( It rained (if you wanna call it that) last Thursday...just enough to get the pavement wet. :/ They had a more substantial amount up North in the Sierras and the Bay area thankfully.

It's looking dire straights, if we don't get at least a tad of moisture in the next few months, in regards to the fires. Not to mention water rationing, higher water bills, etc., etc. Gov. Brown already declared a drought/ state of emergency making it easier for farmers to get help.

It seems it's extremes in all areas. Too much and too long with rain, snow & cold.

Here everyone's groovin' with basically summer type weather since Dec., at least in the daytime. The intelligent folks know the consequences of no moisture down the road though. It's definitely scary what's going on out here right now...it's compounded because we have so many damn people in this state. :cry:

Hoping everyone back East stays safe..as well as all the people in the UK that need the faucets turned off already.

Wow, stay safe and warm, everyone! We had a freak snowstorm here in the NW last week, 15" of snow! Fortunately, they closed the university, so my wife and I didn't have to work, so we just stayed home, cooked a lot, kept the woodstove going and occasionally went out to walk the dog or shovel the snow off the roof. We have an almost flat roof, and were worried about all the weight of the snow. Only lost power for a couple of hours all told, we were lucky, people in our area were out for 36-48 hours! It had been a dry winter previous to this event, so we needed the precipitation, but not all at once!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

We had a cold front come through last night. Lots of rain and thunder

Yesterday it was 81

Today 65

Tonight we're looking at a low of around 40.

Back to mid 70s for the weekend

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I was 25 miles away from home yesterday when the snow started. I was in a store waiting 15 to check out (DA clerk couldn't handle a return) and the snow started. Traffic had been fine coming in. In 15 minutes the snow was falling and the streets were packed.

Traffic was inching along and it took me 1 1/2 hours to go 12 miles on the interstate hwy. I got off on a back road and made the other 13 miles in about 40 minutes. Traffic was not as bad and all of us back roaders had 4wheel drives. Hard to see where the road was at some places. But got home safe in little over 2 hrs what would usually be 30 min.

LOL

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

At the moment I'm in Franklin MA. Got about a foot of wet snow before it switched to rain. It's just like shoveling wet cement. In the rain. Big fun.

Now the rain is freezing as it hits the ground. About a half inch of ice so far.

--wmp

At the moment I'm in Franklin MA. Got about a foot of wet snow before it switched to rain. It's just like shoveling wet cement. In the rain. Big fun.

Now the rain is freezing as it hits the ground. About a half inch of ice so far.

That sucks. That's more typical of the kind of weather we get here most winters. It's actually been kind of nice this winter to get snow instead of all the freezing slush. Only downside has been the bitter cold (i know, nothing for you northerners) - big difference between subzero and our typical teens and twenties most winters.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

After I left NYC I lived 19 years in Buffalo, NY, before moving to Savannah.

Ain't been no winter here in Georgia yet.

And the people in Atlanta had me pissing myself with laughter. Stuck in their cars 18 hours because of the snow? Really? You mean that 2 inches of snow made it impossible to get out and walk 300-400 yards to an exit and somewhere warm?

Simon Phoenix said it best: "The world has become a pussy-whipped Brady Bunch version of itself."

I wonder what they would do if they ever experienced a whiteout, like people in Minnesota deal with every year?

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

In the metro Augusta area. Worst hit area as far as power outages go. Blown out transformers put on quite a show Wednesday night. Trees down all over the place. Fleets of bucket trucks from various states are everywhere.

The bulk of our neighborhood is still powerless, and it was pretty damn cold last night. Piled the kids under many layers of blankets. Piled ourselves under cat and dog, who didn't give us much choice in the matter.

Should be back up and running by tomorrow night at the latest.

Meanwhile I've got my MacBook + a USB powered controller. :D

THERE IS GAS IN THE CAR.

-John

I make software noises.

THERE IS GAS IN THE CAR.

-John

:cool:

Stay safe, John.

Here in Raleigh, NC, the streets are clear and most of us are back at work.

Luckily, there wasn't enough frozen rain to accumulate on branches which fall on power lines & cause a great disturbance in the force (Luke) which, in time, makes for a very unhappy wife. And you know what they say in Georgia...

If the wife ain't happy...

You best leave the house! :laugh:

OK. That was enough winter for me. I'm on the watchout for SPRING BREAK. :thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

That was enough winter for me. I'm on the watchout for SPRING BREAK.

I'll just be happy with some warmer weather. It's been snow, snow and more snow here for the last month. We got another 8 or 9 inches yesterday and about 6 more early this morning. There won't be any place to put the stuff soon. The parking lots here have massive mounds all over the place... you have to really watch yourself driving through!

:crazy:

Edit: And now they're predicting 2-4 more inches overnight. :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Looks like I'm getting some Karmic payback for my smart ass remarks about how great the weather is out here in LA. I just found out I have a business trip to Indianapolis next week :(

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I'm on the watchout for SPRING BREAK. :thu:
It was sunny and in the 70s here today. I'm sorry for those who are still suffering with this long-ass winter, but I'm really happy it may have finally broke for good here.

Keep warm and stay safe out there, especially those of you in places that aren't equipped for these winter storms.

Speaking of the CA drought, check out this satellite photo comparing Jan 2013 to Jan 2014. Droughts suck.

https://twitter.com/pdykstra/status/434377617366474752/photo/1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived