Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Weather in the South

ITGITC

It's worse than they said it was going to be... and they, the National Weather Service, said it was going to be bad.

Here's what's going on in my little town - Raleigh, NC:

http://www.wral.com/

I don't know if you folks to the north will be getting all of this.

I'm OK with snow. It's the ice on the trees that knock out the power.

That pretty much ruins my day. :(

I'll continue broadcasting as long as the AC holds out. :cry:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the weather in the UK mate.

Some people here have 6 METRES of water where their house used to be.

If you would be so kind as to stop sending your weather over here.......... ;)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I've heard the weather reports for the DC area. Last month, there was one day we braced for impact and it turned out to be a dud. I have a hard time believing meteorologists. :D

Just in case they're right this time, I'm going to stock up on duct tape, batteries, plastic, bottled water, beer and a year long supply of corned beef hash. That way, I'll be fine if I'm stuck in the house until Easter. :laugh:

Of course, I won't doing any such thing. I think it's a d8mn shame that folks clean out the grocery store around here when they're only going to be snowed in for less than 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Bad weather is serious business. Be smart. Stay off the roads. If you have to go out i.e. emergency worker or whatever, bundle up and be safe in your travels. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

we're in the "wintry mix" band for tonight/tomorrow's storm. Snow to start then changing to rain.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

12" of snow in New Bern yesterday. We are blessed, didn't get any freezing rain (or not enough to see).

I know 12" of snow isn't much to someone from the northern parts, but it is a bunch here. All turned to rain about 1230 today, and nothing falling at the moment, but it does look heavy in the center & west of NC - and big thunderstorms still going on in Tampa, FLA area.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I'm in NJ at Casio HQ this week. We're going to get hit bad tomorrow. This area they're saying 15" of snow.

And an inch is enough to halt all traffic in the garden state....you might as well be in Naperville!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm in NJ at Casio HQ this week. We're going to get hit bad tomorrow. This area they're saying 15" of snow.

And an inch is enough to halt all traffic in the garden state....you might as well be in Naperville!

Was trying to get home early but all the flights out tonight are booked. I'll be riding this one out here and hopefully will get home sometime on Friday.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

An inch is nothing. I've lived in northern NJ most of my life.

Usually it takes at least 3 for people to starting slowing down on the highways.

But yeah, boss already said to bring our laptops home tonight as we're hunkering down and working from home tomorrow.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Try the weather in the UK mate.

Some people here have 6 METRES of water where their house used to be.

If you would be so kind as to stop sending your weather over here.......... ;)

welcome to what we experienced with Hurricane Katrina, I feel for you guys

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/traffic/2007/11/12/2032770/traffic102-320x240.jpg

This came on us instantly.

People on I-85 near Durham, NC are stuck.

Yes. We were warned.

Folks in DC, keep an eye on this. It's moving up the coast.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

An inch is nothing. I've lived in northern NJ most of my life.

Usually it takes at least 3 for people to starting slowing down on the highways.

But yeah, boss already said to bring our laptops home tonight as we're hunkering down and working from home tomorrow.

Things must have gotten better since I lived there in the 80s. I worked in Whippany and any time we got any amount of snow, routes 10 and 46 would grind to a halt. One of my office mates got stuck on 10 for four hours to go roughly 15 miles.

In any case I hope its not as bad as they are predicting.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

So, it's been VERY cold all over the south. In Minnesota we've had something like 45 days of SUBZERO temps. It's been so cold the squirrels are using our heated birdbath as a hot tub. There's no place to put the snow. Our driveway is a 6-inch glacier of packed ice that won't be gone until July, despite my shoveling and plowing and chopping. Most highways ride like washboards. Dogs are attempting to hold their pee until May.

Just thought you'd like to know what REAL cold is all about.

Wow... Thanks for posting the link, Tom. I checked out some of the vids and photos from around your area. The gridlock, plus stuck vehicles and accidents are bad things to have to deal with. What a mess - especially with the 'wintry mix' stuff. I prefer either snow, or rain; the in-between is a bear. Out here, things shut down faster than in the midwest when it snows. Guess that goes with the part high desert, part alpine climate mix.

Colorado Front Range weather's been weird this year: lots of extremes, with things bouncing between 40's and sub-zero temps. More sleet and freezing rain than normal, too. I spent 40+years in the Chicago area, so I'm used to winters with a healthy amount of snow, cold, wind, traffic issues, etc.. In contrast, there seems a high amount of inexperienced, and/or ignorant drivers out here. Have seen some truly, hinky sh*t happen in local traffic - especially in winter.

Hope you don't have to venture forth into that mess, brother Tom. And I hope the power holds for you.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Q: Where is "here" ?

At my location in Virginia, the temp right now is 22. The average is 45. We are in the bullseye of the storm (so they say).....10 to 15 inches more snow. Average snow whole year is 19".

And, to think, we are doing GOOD compared to a lot of people. The Winter from Hell, act 3, scene 4. Oh well, time to go over Jessica at least. ha ha ha

Paul

I spent 40+years in the Chicago area, so I'm used to winters with a healthy amount of snow, cold, wind, traffic issues, etc.. In contrast, there seems a high amount of inexperienced, and/or ignorant drivers out here. Have seen some truly, hinky sh*t happen in local traffic - especially in winter.

When I was in college, we road-tripped to the Rose Bowl and on the way back, hit a horrible snow storm around Flagstaff, Arizona. Clear ice on the interstate with snow falling on top of it. I've never been so afraid on the roads...not because of the ice itself but because 90% of the drivers had no idea how to drive in that weather. Most of them ended up in the ditch. Eventually, the state police did a road blockade and you had to either check into a hotel or show that you had snow chains for the tires. We bought chains and went on.

www.stickmanor.com

My neighborhood might be getting off light: Only 5 to 8 inches of snowfall tonight, followed by 1-3 inches of snow/ice accumulation tomorrow. I'll probably be forced to work from home though. Northerners make fun of the DC metro system for shutting down whenever there's 6 or more inches of snow.

Q: Where is "here" ?

For about two more weeks: Loveland, CO; approx. 40 miles north of Denver. After that I get to wade through several feet of snow to find my house in NW Indiana. Should be an interesting move - especially with falling temps and wintry-mix predicted in northern CO - starting that weekend. That'll be on top of the packed snow and ice we have from the past couple o' storms. Time to buy salt for the porch and sidewalk; lots of it..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Tom, the important question: do you have enough beer in your fridge to ride this thing out?

I DO

http://www.nwdreamer.com/gif/beerheaven.jpg

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Tom, stay safe. We have a lot of ice here in central SC and lots of power outages from falling limbs and trees. The roads aren't drivable, and thank goodness the majority of people are staying inside. Don

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

Tom, the important question: do you have enough beer in your fridge to ride this thing out?

:laugh: Thanks for asking!

As a matter of fact, a well-stocked bar is a provision we couldn't do without!

We've got home-made chile in the croc-pot and a roaring fire in the fireplace.

It's sleeting now. It won't be long before the power goes out. It always does. :(

Luckily, I have gas fire logs, a gas stove, and a gas water heater. We'll take the beer outta the fridge and put it outside on the deck. We'll keep posting via the iPhone! :)

And when the sun goes down, I'll light some candles and sit down at the Chickering. It will be a test of my memory, but I know a lotta songs. :thu:

Who wants to come to my house for a sleepover? :)

Archived