Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decisions to make

EddiePlaysBass

All, I need your input / words of wisdom.

I am contemplating changing my day-time gig. Getting a bit tired of what I am doing and (especially) where I am doing it, so I want to move on and go back to working in Belgium. If I do, it will mean quitting the pop band because I will not be able to combine both - essentially there's a very realistic chance I will be traveling 1 hour in the opposite direction again, same as before. And a 2 hour drive to rehearsal is too much to commit to :-)

Thing is, it could take up to a year before I really find a new job (to my liking). Last time I think I spent 18 months in job-hunt mode. I am wondering whether I should already inform the pop band now and let them decide what action they wish to take or wait until things are "more concrete". After all, in this economy I may end up spending 18 months looking for a job and end up staying put. Or I end up finding a new job within months (got a head hunter phone call a few weeks back so some people are looking ...)

I am really not sure how to approach this. I am dead serious about the daytime gig change but if I act now I may find myself out of a band and still in the same job. And sure I am not always fond of this current music gig of mine (I am actually holding back on the band drama posts and for the record, I am not the cause of any of the recent drama developments :) ) but still, I am busy playing music and learning new stuff. Not sure I want to give that up.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto. No need to cause worries that may or may not come to fruition, especially if that long of a time period is involved. Enjoy it while it's still there for you. When you have a solid commitment on a new job, let the band know.

Don't quit again until you're ready to quit for good.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

No need to cause worries that may or may not come to fruition, especially if that long of a time period is involved. Enjoy it while it's still there for you. When you have a solid commitment on a new job, let the band know.

Don't quit again until you're ready to quit for good.

This.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Quit now. I say this because you know darn well not to say anything about quitting and a possible new job until it happens... except I say you are thinking about using this as an excuse to quit.... just quit... you don't need a reason other than you want to quit...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

The serious response:

1. If you're gigging regularly with the pop band then you (or they) should already have a backup bassist.

2. If the pop band doesn't have backups then it probably doesn't matter if they go 6+ months before they are ready to gig with your replacement.

In either case you can wait to tell them anything until your daytime employment officially changes.

I see where Ross is coming from, and I definitely understand his point. However in this case, the reason why I am asking is because we (the band) are slowly in the process of booking gigs for this year. We have a confirmed gig in April and May, and will have one for September.

If I change employer, it will not leave me in a position to say: "I will work with you guys for the remaining booked dates". Realistically speaking I would be working in Brussels (which I want to avoid) and from there, it's a 2 hour trip to where the band rehearses.

On a side-note, I had lunch with a former colleague yesterday (after I posted this) and he forwarded me an interesting job offer he'd received a few days earlier. I will send my resume and a cover letter and see where that leads, so this could end up moving more quickly than I realize now :)

except I say you are thinking about using this as an excuse to quit....

Actually in the fall we will probably do another radio show like the one we did last year. The newer material is more "bass heavy" and I liked the quality of recordings we got last time, so I would really like to do this show again - with tunes that are more interesting for bass. Not quitting just yet - but I won't deny thinking about it every now and then :grin:

The humorous response:

1. Quit band (for the 5th time?)

2. Fail to find new daytime employment.

3. Apologize to band for quitting (again) and rejoin.

:) :) :)

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

God that would be an awful scenario!!! And for the record, I "only" quit this band twice so far ;)

Quick update: we had a short rehearsal tonight. Worked on about 5 new tunes, of which 4 sound promising and at least 1 will probably not make it into any set anytime soon.

I like this band. I like the music we play - especially as of late, the choices are becoming more interesting bass wise. Unfortunately they seem to become less interesting guitar-wise because the guitarist (not the band leader, the other one) was being very passive aggressive about the song choices: he simply did not play on half the tunes tonight.

Anyway, I figured I will not tell them of my plans to change jobs. Heck, I am going to talk the whole changing jobs things through with my misses first, she's not really fond of the idea at this point in our lives. What with us moving house this summer we can use some financial security - but then again, who is still sure of their employment these days?

But I figured I would not create any drama until it needs creating. And as I said, it looks like the guitarist is taking up the drama queen role quite efficiently.

Archived