Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any alternatives to the K&M 18810?

miden

Looking for alternatives to the K&M 18810 - out here the asking price for the stand itself is $350 then the asking price for just the laptop attachment is $205!! Making a total of over $550 for a stand :eek:

Thanks

PS: Reason for the change is I am getting tired of the "bounce" from my old K&M spider. I have read here a few guys really think the table top style is pretty good, and I really dislike X stands, more on aesthetics than anything else.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking for alternatives to the K&M 18810 - out here the asking price for the stand itself is $350 then the asking price for just the laptop attachment is $205!! Making a total of over $550 for a stand :eek:

Have you tried Thomann in Germany? Not sure about carriage charges to the US, but the basic price of the stand and laptop holder comes to $255.

A bit more affordable!

SSM

EDIT: Just noticed that you are in OZ!!! That probably makes a complete mockery of my figures! Not sure of the exchange rate, but around £170 in "proper" money!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Thanks mate_stubb but old Ultimate stands parts like those (look like they are from an A-frame setup yes??) are not really available out here anymore (Oz).

And SS, being in OZ makes it rather expensive, not so much in the actual unit cost, but in the shipping. I have priced from Thomann before and the shipping is usually around the same as the cost of the item itself!! Which makes buying the gear locally usually not too bad.

Good suggestion though...I might just have to "grin and bear it" and use my old X stand that has been gathering dust for years.

There are the On-Stage table top style stands(for example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/231147912755?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=94 but they look like they would fall over in a slight breeze....

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

BTW before posting I did a search for tabletop stands and got responses that gave no clue what was in the threads listed and it would have taken weeks to manually go through each one. And I certainly cannot remember any "names" apart from K&M ever coming up.

It was why I made a separate thread, just to get a list (in one place) of brand names and models really :)

92 looks and a suggestion for a shop, and a suggestion for a home built unit (not that it is a bad unit by any means) is all folks can come up with.

Disappointing but not unexpected.

It's not like there is some secret wonderful stand company you haven't heard about. You have all the usual suspects, but you already know them.

You can still buy those hubs and tubes that I use - they are available because light tree stands still use them.

Moe

---

Yeah thanks mate_stubb I guess I was looking for some "eureka" suggestion, it's no biggie.

Re those parts, no it is rather difficult to buy those components by themselves unless one buys them as complete stand setups, and to get enough setups to create the stand (looking at your pics) the overall cost (going on Oz $'s) would not be that much less than the K&M 18810 :D and to be honest (and stictly imo, no criticism at all) the x bracing thing you have does nothing for me at all.

I think I am just going to have to cop the cost of the stand...however a further $200+ just for the laptop attachment is total rip-off to me...and the pricing is certainly "market driven". They KNOW how popular using laptops is these days and are really cashing in...

Anyhoo, thanks again for your posts :)

I am surprised by the results you experience with the Spider stand, my experience is the opposite, I have always found mine to be rock-solid and completely stable and sturdy on stage. Maybe it's just down to differing build quality between individual units. Mine is the two-tier "Spider Pro."

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I think the OP is talking Australian $ not US and shipping to Oz could be prohibitive!

Is Quiklok available?

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

miden, how about the WS550? You didn't mention (unless I missed it) if you sit or stand, but if you sit I think this is a good option. It might also be if you stand, but I think others here have commented that it gets a little wobbly with the legs extended to standing height.

thx..correct Oz $ I looked over the Quiklok range available here and could not find anything...I have had bad experiences with quiklok in the past, so I would have some trepidation going back to their gear.

I am surprised by the results you experience with the Spider stand, my experience is the opposite, I have always found mine to be rock-solid and completely stable and sturdy on stage. Maybe it's just down to differing build quality between individual units. Mine is the two-tier "Spider Pro."

Hmm I am using a Spider Baby, and a Yamaha MOXF 8 the touch is set to soft as I really don't play "hard" but still when I get into some more shall we say "vigorous" comping with a walking bassline, that's when it gets really noticeable. I have thought of modding it with two thin aluminium struts attached from the end of the arms to the base, but I am not sure how that would look?

miden, how about the WS550? You didn't mention (unless I missed it) if you sit or stand, but if you sit I think this is a good option. It might also be if you stand, but I think others here have commented that it gets a little wobbly with the legs extended to standing height.

Yeah saw it, but it is more for Speakers and DJ setups I thought..in any case as I wrote above, I have "issues" with quiklok gear :D

Yeah, they do classify it as a mixer stand if I recall. But it's also perfect for an 88-key keyboard. And I think they also have other models of similar design (WS540, WS560?) which are different sizes.

As for Quicklok, it's hard to guess what your "issues" were, but the WS550 is rock-solid for me as stand holding an S90ES (used sitting). Also very quick setup and tear-down. Thing's built like a tank-- no quality issues whatsoever.

Oh okay thanks. The issues were with collapsing stands and rather weak welding on key components. Had it on two quiklok stands...so since then I have avoided them.

I will re-visit that model on your recommendation. Thanks

Quik Lok - Keyboard Stand - Black

Model: AMS-WS-421 SKU: 6501706

Picked one up from Best Buy. Pros, 4 legs, plenty of leg/pedel room, pretty heavy duty construction. Cons: some guy/s had issues with the welds and alignment. One of the 4 large screw/bolts was a little out of true when I received it, but works fine. It does have some weight to it, and be careful with your digits when folding up the legs, it can bite. I use 2 bungy chords to keep it all together after tightening up the legs when finished. Boards I use with it are an sk1 & sk2 and it does the job for me. Good luck. Joe.

and to be honest (and stictly imo, no criticism at all) the x bracing thing you have does nothing for me at all.
The braces may not do much for you, but I bet they do a lot for the stand.

Seems to me that would take a bit of time to set up and tear down. I likes me pair o' X stands. Plunk. Plunk. Done. But an 18881 would be even better.

The braces are essential to prevent wobble side to side. Normally I have mine painted black and they disappear into the shadows under the rig, but the pic was taken when brand new.

I do think it looks better than the accordion look of the brace on the K&M 18880 stand, but YMMV.

Moe

---

The braces are essential to prevent wobble side to side. Normally I have mine painted black and they disappear into the shadows under the rig, but the pic was taken when brand new.

I do think it looks better than the accordion look of the brace on the K&M stand, but YMMV.

Yeah I recognised the function :)

Sorry wasn't meaning it as a criticism of the build. Just a personal aesthetics opinion.

I must go back and have another look at that K&M stand, I never noticed the bracing......hang on, you mean on the 18880? Ahhh..that's not the one I am considering...it is the 18810 model I am considering :)

Have you looked at the 18880 K&M ? It's also a table top style and can add second tier or laptop , and it's aluminium so weight is less for shipping to oz . I tried to order one here but nobody has them in USA right now but if you ordered directly from K&M you should be ok. I just ordered a K&M 18950 with 2 nd tier , wife just let me know it's at home right now

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Yeah I have, I really don't like that "accordion" thing going on there with the bracing :D

I didn't realise one could order direct - I didn't think of that. I will investigate, thanks

Never had a problem with Quiklok but I bought my X-stands a long time ago - probably before they were made in China.

I have however bought 2 x Z-1 ALU with second tier: http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=78&sName=Z-71

They were great but I moved recently to the Z726:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=98&sName=Z-726

Can't fault the build and the price is very reasonable.http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Facebook/iOS%20Photos/8d5284d0-c20b-4e0a-9eb8-6f5a0b877d75_zps49ca5b71.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

The great thing about the 18880 accordion bracing is that it allows it to set up in seconds. However, those hold the thing together; they're not quite "bracing". There's an additional diagonal brace and that's the only thing that gives me pause with the 18880. It looks too long to lay nicely against the rest of the stand when folded for transport. Then again, I'd probably have it higher than lowest height.

Archived