Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2-tier stand with shallow depth

BluMunk

Due to some life changes over the past six months, my music room and bedroom have become one, and space is now at a premium.

I've got my RD700GX on a Quik-lok Z-stand, but:

- the stand is deeper than the keyboard is, and I'd like to save myself that inch or two.

- I'd like to mount a 2nd keyboard above, but the option I currently own for that is another Z-stand that, with the 2nd tier, is even deeper than the other one.

Anyone have any experience with the K&M Omega? It looks like it'd be a good choice for me, and has options for a 2nd tier.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an RD on a QL-Z and yeah, there's a few inches to spare at the back.

For a 2nd keyboard, have you considered a plywood platform (or a couple of blocks is all you need really) the exact height of your RD? The 2nd board would just sit on the platform and cantilever over the top of the RD as far ahead as possible.

Here for the gear.

Once again, the K&M 18880 looks like a winner, with 18881 for 2nd tier, and if you later find you want a 3rd tier, just add the 18882.

The depth is 400 mm (16"), but that's at the feet. My guess is that without the top tier, the bottom tier would project 12-14" from the wall. Add a couple inches for the 18881.

Not cheap, unfortunately.

The Omega has the advantage that it's more open on the sides, which might help in cramped quarters. The 18880 travels better, which isn't an issue here.

I use Monoliths in my room I find it to be efficient enough. I have 2 of them. As much as I like it I hesitate to recomend it because our leader got one based on my recomendation and DB had a lot of trouble with his sets of top tiers. I think he saud he went through 2 pairs and they would not stay tight.

If you get a set of good tiers the other drawback migh be that on it's lowest setting you may need a fairly tall bench. I have a crazy long torso so it fits me.

But front to back the monoliths are not deep.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Once again, the K&M 18880 looks like a winner, with 18881 for 2nd tier, and if you later find you want a 3rd tier, just add the 18882.

The depth is 400 mm (16"), but that's at the feet. My guess is that without the top tier, the bottom tier would project 12-14" from the wall. Add a couple inches for the 18881.

Not cheap, unfortunately.

The Omega has the advantage that it's more open on the sides, which might help in cramped quarters. The 18880 travels better, which isn't an issue here.

. Try finding an 18880 right now , nobody

Has them ti at least April , I spent a whole day trying to track one down , ended up with an 18950 with 2 nd tier which will be great too just not as light

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I just hacksawed the extra length off my hercules z-stand that holds my very shallow roland fp4. Now it's a perfect fit and saved me good 4 inches of depth.seems minor but made a huge difference in my small living room. I can't mount a second tier now however.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived