Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Comfort Zone

EddiePlaysBass

Been learning to play "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire and whilst I always wanted to play this type of music, I never previously got round to it.

Working on this song made me realize how much this type of playing is outside my comfort zone - it's not a technically challenging song but rhythmically quite different from the straight 8's I tend to / need to play.

For me, this is a sign that I need to work on this sort of music more, in order to incorporate it into my comfort zone.

Anyone else working on stuff they do not ordinarily play, in order to incorporate it into their "bag o' tricks"?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm learning Steely Dan's "Josie" for a gig next month. A challenging Chuck Rainey baseline, which I can not say I've copped entirely, but probably 85%. He uses some double stops in the intro instrumental section which were fun to learn and are challenging to play well.

On top of all that, however, I will also be singing the lead vocal. One of our guitarists had been doing it, but it was a little high for him. I just started singing the lead while practicing at home. We ran through it during rehearsal last night and I did a passable job.

I'll be damn proud of myself if I can pull it off at the gig.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Always been the boost my playing needed...whether I've had to study klezmer to play it or immerse myself in bluegrass or play a flamenco gig...that diversity keeps on giving.

The biggest challenge I had was probably playing all the charts at the Gospel/Worship gig I did at the Albert Hall though...there were just so many dots that forced me to play completely differently. I did put some of my fills in there but when you have a full orchestra with low brass doubling the bass you have to get it just right.

I'm learning Steely Dan's "Josie" for a gig next month. ........

I'll be damn proud of myself if I can pull it off at the gig.

As well you should be. That's a mighty fine two-fer to pull off.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I'm learning Steely Dan's "Josie" for a gig next month.

When I learned it, I realized that most of the bass part is doubled one octave up on guitar. Really gives the part some snap.

Chuck Rainey. Big fan. Huge.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Yes, I've been on a roll lately of joining different cover bands to stretch my boundaries. Rock/pop to country to r&b/soul to classic/blues rock to alternative/indie. Each endeavor is a new 40+ song list with little overlap. While a lot of what I play is rock it's still a different mindset to cover "The Ocean" (Led Zeppelin) one week and "Song 2" (Blur) the next.

Anyone else working on stuff they do not ordinarily play, in order to incorporate it into their "bag o' tricks"?

This is precisely why I love my jam group: a little funk here, a little reggae there, some ballads, some rock, some blues -- all great grist for the mill.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Great for you guys. My playing has been on a few hiatuses in the past few years and just getting some time here and there to play, when inspired to play, is tough.

Although it can be humbling to learn someone elses distinctive (and original) bass line, you have to keep in mind that it was done by that unique individual's "internal beat" with their hands and own limitations (or lack of). I hope you understand what I am trying to describe, we all have it. Though style plays into it, "style" not quite enough to describe it. We all walk a certain way, tap on a table a different way, eat, drink and sleep a different way. "Soul?" That's not quite it either. Perhaps blend our dis-funk-tional internal metronome, style, soul, feel, influences and creativity and a better description could be had.

Sometimes, it can be better to try to copy a live version of a song because we know a lot can be done in a studio that can't be replicated live. These days, with YouTube, you may be able to catch a little glimpse of the bass player's fingers that can really open the doors on what is actually going on. Then again, that can destroy you as well.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Sometimes, it can be better to try to copy a live version of a song because we know a lot can be done in a studio that can't be replicated live.

See: Bakithi's Kumalo's lick on Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" -- wicked lick, but the tape was run backwards...so you can't replicate it live unless you have a looper w/ reverse feature or some such magic device...

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

See: Bakithi's Kumalo's lick on Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" -- wicked lick, but the tape was run backwards...so you can't replicate it live unless you have a looper w/ reverse feature or some such magic device...

Give the music to Jeremy (too many Cohens) C., if anyone can nail out of the box, my money is on him. Then again, he's been playing it for almost 30 years at this point so it is a moot point. MOOT I tell you.

On a related note to Sweet Willie's comment, I always felt that there is in fact a place for TAB format in music as it often has indications of how things are played far beyond musical notation.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I'm envious. I'd love to be in a reading band on even a monthly basis. The only stuff I learn lately is for church and I haven't even had to do that as we are in a bit of a rut. I think I could tour with Chris Tomlin or Hillsong though. :laugh:

I hear that- for me it would be Jesus Culture :rawk:

As far as playing something challenging, I'm learning to play lead guitar- does that count?

Queue the comments from you wiseguys :eek:

Basically at church, we had a couple bass players but no guitar players, so I branched out. The good news is I'm getting some passable guitar chops, as well as bringing a different approach to playing bass- I'm more comfortable getting off the root- 3 and 5 that I was 6 months ago.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Playing covers is always a decision between respecting the original piece or injecting your own personality. I have a lot of personality so I will not limit my playing to "notes" some other bassist played. Mostly, I won't even limit myself to whatever key the song tries to force on me. Often I won't even limit myself to the same venue as the rest of the band.

NO ONE tells me what to do! :mad:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived