Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos Wish List

J. Dan

Reading the recent SV1 thread, particularly regarding the almost universal agreement regarding the quality of the EP's, got me thinking.

It would be super cool if a version of the Kronos was released with an on board Tube Pre that could be accessed as an insert effect. Of course, there could only be one instance of it, but that would really beef up the EP's, and in some cases would be nice on the CX3 engine along with the updated Leslie sim in the latest OS.

Other than that, I can't think of a whole lot more I would ask for, other than some minor user interface things: search function, more elegant modulation routing overview. Of course, real draw bars would be nice, but considering the other functions of the sliders, not sure there would be a good way to implement that.

Am I missing anything? I don't think the tube addition is a far stretch since they did the same thing to the Triton with the Triton Extreme.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course, real draw bars would be nice, but considering the other functions of the sliders, not sure there would be a good way to implement that.

The Ocean Beach DB-1 has implemented Kronos sysex drawbar control freeing the Kronos sliders to other tasks. In a combi with dual manual organ the DB-1 can control both upper and lower manual db's swicthing between manuals by touching a button on the DB-1.

Of course, real draw bars would be nice, but considering the other functions of the sliders, not sure there would be a good way to implement that.

The Ocean Beach DB-1 has implemented Kronos sysex drawbar control freeing the Kronos sliders to other tasks. In a combi with dual manual organ the DB-1 can control both upper and lower manual db's swicthing between manuals by touching a button on the DB-1.

Yes, but that's a separate piece of gear. I was speaking specifically to things Korg could do with the next generation of Kronos. I have the Kronos 61 and it doesn't seem like there would be a good place to put the DB-1 where it would be stable, not interfere with other Kronos controls, and be easily accessible during performance. I can make due with the sliders. That's why I kind of only mentioned in passing as something I wouldn't really expect. But the tube pre seems like it wouldn't be that difficult of an addition, given it already exists in the Triton Extreme and SV-1.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Just thought I would mention it because it works well if you have an 88 below a Kronos 61. The multifunction operation of the Kronos sliders can be challenging when pulling drawbars in a combi and also want to change individual timbre levels. If the Kronos is updated to motorized sliders/drawbars it would make a lot of operations easier.

Just thought I would mention it because it works well if you have an 88 below a Kronos 61. The multifunction operation of the Kronos sliders can be challenging when pulling drawbars in a combi and also want to change individual timbre levels. If the Kronos is updated to motorized sliders/drawbars it would make a lot of operations easier.

I agree. I don't do enough mid-song drawbar adjustment for it to justify integrating a DB-1 in my rig, but I can see where it would be a big deal for others. Even without going to real draw bars, motorized faders would be nice so that the sliders jumped to the position of the preset.

Dan

Reading the recent SV1 thread, particularly regarding the almost universal agreement regarding the quality of the EP's, got me thinking.

It would be super cool if a version of the Kronos was released with an on board Tube Pre that could be accessed as an insert effect. Of course, there could only be one instance of it, but that would really beef up the EP's, and in some cases would be nice on the CX3 engine along with the updated Leslie sim in the latest OS.

Other than that, I can't think of a whole lot more I would ask for, other than some minor user interface things: search function, more elegant modulation routing overview. Of course, real draw bars would be nice, but considering the other functions of the sliders, not sure there would be a good way to implement that.

Am I missing anything? I don't think the tube addition is a far stretch since they did the same thing to the Triton with the Triton Extreme.

I can say I miss mine - should NEVER have sold it off, especially after I modded it with external air vents low noise fans and second hard drive....definite case of gear sale regret! To anyone who has one, please don't underestimate what you have!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I would love to see the King Korg filters in the Kronos. In fact they could take it a step further and create more emulations of those synths (Mini, P5, CS-80, Oberheim, 303). I don't see them as separate synths but living within the AL-1. They could make it like Diva where if you're using a Minimoog filter, it would resemble the Mini on the screen. But I like the flexibility of using a Moog filter with maybe a more advanced amp/envelope. But I want the King Korg filters bad.

I would like to see a UI update with richer color schemes and a more appealing look. I don't object to the tab system as it's functional and you need uniformity given the complexity of the instrument. Also, you should be able to move the knobs/faders on screen.

After trying to work with KARMA to emulate various arps I would rather see a more simplified, yet user modifiable arp/sequencer. The one in NI's FM8 is wonderful. Omnisphere is great as well.

HD-1 needs better support for release samples as you would use them in APs/EPs.

I would love to see the two EXis in a program have separate IFX chains.

I could come up with a bunch more but many would get pretty obscure.

Busch.

Why not just use 2 single EXi programs in a combi?

Dan

How about a sleep mode for normal booting where it boots up in a couple of seconds ready to play.

When necessary it could hard boot by holding down some buttons while powering on.

I mean how hard could it be?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Why not just use 2 single EXi programs in a combi?

Sure you can do that, but I need it for Program creation, sound design. Combis assume programs exist in certain banks so they're a little more cumbersome to distribute. Lately I've been maxing out the number of varied sounds I can produce within a program. On occasion I will split left/right outputs from the oscillators to go to separate sides of mono/mono IFXs, but it's not ideal.

Busch.

As a new owner of a Kronos as well as a long time Kurzweil user I'd like to see the Kronos match Kurzweil's K2xxx and PC3 series in terms of being a better performance controller. I'd like to see the same extensive options Kurzweil's have with pedal and slider assignments, such as the ability to group the volumes of several programs in combi mode to a single slider or the cc pedal and the ability to do crossfades between programs in combi mode with a single slider or cc pedal. I've only had my Kronos for a few weeks now and if these things are indeed possible I apologize for my ignorance in not being able to figure it out yet.

Also while I'm at it a big thanks to Busch for his great Kronos website and the programs on it.

It can be done, but it's not as elegant...kind of a workaround IMO. 2 ways: you can assign controllers appropriately within the VCA of each program that's going to be in a combi (for instance volume pedal normal for one patch, reverse for another (0 pedal = full volume), net result is a cross fade after you layer them. 2nd way: in the combi, route parts through a preamp IFX and assign the pedal there. Not very elegant, but it works. I agree, generally, a little more intuitive modulation routines would be nice.

Dan

Archived