Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting read about THX

ArnoldLayne

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Fantom X has a preset called "Bending Logo" which is a fair approximation of Deep Note. I took it apart one day, it uses pipe organ PCMs at its heart for the maximum harmonic complexity. When I get a chance, I'll have a look at it again, I can't remember how the pitch envelopes are arranged.

Zephonix... How can I get that sound on my G6?

[video:youtube]

My apologies, I got things mixed up. Like MorayM says, the FantomX has a preset called Bending Logo, which approximates the THX thing.

I bought some 3rd-party sounds a few years back, and one of them is called THX, which also attempts to recreate the famous sound, but is not as convincing as Roland's own at first. However, this sound will let you play chords and tracks pitch, whereas Roland's own is the one sound mapped across the keyboard.

The score consists of a C program of about 20,000 lines of code. The output of this program is not the sound itself, but is the sequence of parameters that drives the oscillators on the ASP. That 20,000 lines of code produce about 250,000 lines of statements of the form "set frequency of oscillator X to Y Hertz"....

It took about 4 days to program and debug the thing.

http://www.smileysnetwork.com/respect/respect18.gifhttp://www.smileysnetwork.com/respect/respect19.gif

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Zephonix... How can I get that sound on my G6?

What exactly would you use it for? If I needed it, I'd just sample it. But I can't imagine a use for it in any live performance.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Poses another question that wasn't necessarily addressed in the article, but has had some discussion on here regarding 5.1 recordings. Exactly how are these things recorded, mixed, encoded? In the studio, do they lite really mix 5.1 channels? Or does the decoder look at where it resides in the stereo field to decide where it goes? I'll have to admit, I know very little about surround other than the fact that it sounds awesome on my home theater system.....which brings me back to the THX sound. It didn't say - did that programming direct voices to the 3D sound stage? Because it's really wide and sounds incredible on my modern surround system for something that was created so long ago!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It didn't take 20,000 lines of code...but a PX-5S doesn't do a bad job of it.

Show-off

:poke:

Dan

LOL, Steve Force asked if it could be done on the PX-5S forum today, so I had to try.

That is done by playing one note (yes that is showing off just a little).

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

In the studio, do they lite really mix 5.1 channels? Or does the decoder look at where it resides in the stereo field to decide where it goes? !

Both. There are some prosumer boxes that will take a stereo signal and use an algorithm to make a surround track. These would be useful for those making audio DVDs ie DVDs that just contain music. Then there are these incredible tools like the Dolby Atmos that lets you place a track anywhere in the surround space - that's what you hear at the movies. :)

If you're interested, check out the Dolby site for an idea of the hardware/software involved.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/index.html

Archived