Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best iPad app for charts?

cnegrad

Hi all,

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I never paid attention because I never needed it until now:

Is there a "best" app for charts on an iPad? Do all the charts have to be combined in one pdf file, or can they be in multiple files? Do these apps allow for set lists? All assistance is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Set List Maker is a popular choice, which (obviously) allows for set lists. Each chart is in its own file (PDF, JPEG, Word doc, etc.). It has quite a few other tricks, including being able to send MIDI Program Changes when you call up a chart, so the one command also calls up all the correct sounds on your keyboards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Forscore. I use it for just charts. A set list can easily be built and you can individual PDFs page through in order with just a touch of the lower section of the screen. Been using it for a couple years flawlessly.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Yeah ONsong is a good one, as is Unrealbook (my fav) http://diystompboxes.com/unrealbook/ which allows MIDI setup messages to be sent at chart load and during the song...something I find incredibly useful for my MOXF.

Calypso is another one that has been mentioned of late as well.

But really, they are all pretty good in what they do. Unlike Android users, we have a great range to choose from...What I suggest is you write out a list of exactly what you want to do for example:

Link and play audio files/midi files

Playlist(setlist) functions

Scroll vertical or change pages right to left

Metronome facility

Bluetooth pedal support

Good librarian operations

Full chart reading or just fake sheets/chord+lyric pages

ability to transpose charts

etc etc etc

Then match it to the various ones you will get suggested here. It will be tough as they all have the ability for most, if not all these operations. In the end I reckon it comes down to which interface and method of operation you prefer.

Good luck - they are all good apps!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Lots of great suggestions, thanks! What exactly is ChordPro format?

It is an old text based chart system where the chords were written above the line of lyric. It used text as it's basis and the app was called - well - Chorpro. I still have it and cna still get it to work!

If you look at chord charts on say Ultimate GTR Tabs, you can see the idea, but with properly created ChoPro charts they were transposable and could enter in guitar chord blocks...

There is an app called Songbook ChordPro that reads and can still create in this manner.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

+1 Set List Maker- one years use with no problems.

Saw a solo act (guitar player) use it with tracks. Midi worked flawlessly for him. Each song he could call up words or chart along with his backing tracks. He also said the support had been fantastic.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Although don't you have to "import" various formats for ONSong to recreate in it's own format if you want full functionality?

Archived