Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Livin on a prayer on VR09

earl the pearl

The band is getting brave and trying the Bon Jovi classic. Im really not a synth person but I did find a nice synth strings patch for this one. Any suggestions for tweaking ? What settings are you using? Im sure many oof you play this one.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what its all about?

Nord E5D, EV ZLX12P, MX61

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For this song I auditioned several patches in my Jupiter 80 and Nord Stage until I found ones that were "in the ballpark" and then modified them. I suspect you will have to do the same, as a couple of them fall in a general "polysynth" category.

I use three separate patches for this song, but there are probably more. Here they are, along with some unsolicited performance/chords information. It will be interesting to see what other folks do for this god-awful tune.

For the intro I use a thick analog string patch and hold an E9 (B E F#) in my right hand and simply change the left hand, playing octave bass notes moving from E -> C -> D -> E, etc.

After the guitar comes in, I use a bright (i.e., open filter) sawtooth polysynth patch with a fast attack and some sustain for the chords (C D Em). I include a layer of piano just under the surface, and I also use this patch for the, "We've got to hold on to what we got...." section and the choruses.

For the verses, I use a more percussive polysynth patch with the filter less open, fast attack and short sustain/release.

Hope this helps.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I use the most obese Jupiter brass patch I could make happen in Omnisphere on my Receptor for the intro, octave Cs in the LH bass, RHplaying Csus with F on top, moving the root/v up whole steps while riding that F on top. End of intro I have an FM string/bell layer for the 3note riff doubling the bass guitar. Sharp attack quartet for the Psycho-ish part in the verse, the refrain now a string synth layered with piano with some more Psychoish embellishments, then add FM hard bell to the layer for the chorus. Repeat ad nauseum, crowd roars drunken approval, resist urge to punch yourself in the balls.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

....Repeat ad nauseum, crowd roars drunken approval, resist urge to punch yourself in the balls.

You forgot, "fake boobs on MILFs bounce up and down as they run to the dance floor".....which makes the playing experience tolerable. :D:love:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hey Moonglow I play the intro the exact same way you describe, swelling in B-E-F# held with the right hand on a stringsish pad and repeating that C-D-E bass line in octaves with the left. (Then after the drum fill and the bass guitar comes in, I change to holding down a sustained E octave on the LH and over it going from C to D to Em triads with the right.) Kind of cool because just that first chord is distinctive enough that reasonably sharp listeners can recognize the song just from that even before you come in with the LH bass line.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I hold the B E F# with my right hand throughout the entire intro, but abandon the bass notes with my left hand to play the C D Em chords.

- George Bernard Shaw

...resist urge to punch yourself in the balls.

If you happen to also be the one singing it, this is a necessity to hit the high notes after the key change!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Try that voicing like this: G C F# (C bass)

Thanks T, will do. I've always had that "it's not quite there" feeling when playing the song, but was never sufficiently motivated to subject it to further analysis.

I used to work with a guitar player, who would say before we played this and other equally-over-played songs, "Time to pay the bills!"

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived