Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The DX7 EP patch, and other over-used sounds

Synthoid

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These seeming over reactions, such as Joe Muscara's, ( sorry for singling you out Joe -) ) I wonder where they come from?

I wonder why such antipathy for much of the seventies and eighties music?

I like plenty of 70s and 80s music. I was just giving CEB grief about calling that tune "Classic Chicago." If you'll notice, he posted that with " :D " meaning, he was :poke: us with his use of that label. I was giving him exactly the kind of response he expected.

Capice?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Fantasia is quite a clever patch, but it's so particular of it's time, and so often used, it's hard not to make the auto-association.

How about 'orchestra hits'. Maybe it's as much the playing style used than the actual sounds themselves.

[video:youtube]_O5182ZgoIw

What's the video with the freaky little Goth kid in it? She was creeping me out. Look around 1:01.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

What new synths HAVE the D 50 Fantasia? Same question for DX7 rhodes'?

Those sounds are common in various romplers, however, the only decent duplication of "Fantasia" I've heard came from a Yamaha.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

The whole point of the Fantasia patch was to sell the synth in the store. It was the first preset you heard when the D-50 was powered up, and it sounded unlike anything any of us had ever heard.

It worked in its intended use, and sold many boards. I never heard anyone actually try to use it.

The other iconic D-50 sound was Digital Native Dance, which was almost impossible to use in your own music too.

Moe

---

The other iconic D-50 sound was Digital Native Dance, which was almost impossible to use in your own music too.

Well actually, Michael W. Smith used it... and several other D-50 patches in this song:

[video:youtube]

Digital Native Dance was also used in a TV movie about Jack the Ripper IIRC.

I still love the D-50, but I prefer some of the alternate patches such as "Star Peace Chorus" and "Spacey Voices" which I like layering with an analog string patch. Definitely adds another dimension to the sound, and to this day nothing sounds like it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I either heavily altered the factory presets or scrubbed them and made my own sound for my D-50...I barely even remember what most of the factory presets sounded like.

I do still have the ROM card with the factory sounds on it...maybe I'll give 'em a spin...

The Farilight Orch 5 sound needs to make a comeback!

Here is a website that has audio examples of many overused patches: uh-one-uh-anna-two-uh

In particular, I just love the Violet sound. How can I get it? -)

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Here is a website that has audio examples of many overused patches: uh-one-uh-anna-two-uh

This is a reminisce and celebration of the sounds through recent history , and the author is still mostly singing their praises - thankfully.

Brett

Well, that along with it being a website with samples of many overused patches being discussed and it includes pictures.

I like many of the synth sounds like the Violet and the Prophet 5 used on In the Air Tonight as well. I have never cared for the artificial drumbeats in any form though.

:)

I agree with Moe. That shakahuchi patch came from E-mu. That's a sound I will never use again. :D:cool:

The shak used at the beginning of "Sledgehammer" was the emu.. But the d-50 also had one.. D-50 shak was the one used at the beginning of "Father Figure"... not sure about "After Midnight".. but it sounds more like the D-50 shak than the emu.

IMO the emu one was better... seemed to be more expressive.

Yeah, I prefer the Emu sound on "Sledgehammer" to any other use of shakuhachi patches.

Those sounds are common in various romplers, however, the only decent duplication of "Fantasia" I've heard came from a Yamaha.

I'm guessing you mean the "Paradies" patch in the Motif series (at least from the ES on)? Also, there's one called "Heavenly" that sounds like the old D-50's "Staccato Heaven" patch.

><>

Steve

I'm guessing you mean the "Paradies" patch in the Motif series (at least from the ES on)?

Actually, I was going through some sounds on a Yamaha DGX model about a month ago, and came across one that sounded very close to Fantasia. I can't recall the actual name of it though.

It's "Close (To The Edit)" by the Art of Noise:

Thank you. I remember seeing it, but it was one of those videos that was completely erased from my brain. I remember too that they used all the same actors in the "Dragnet" video.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I remember we recorded it into a Waveframe and time stretched it for several times of it´s original length ...

Then it became the basis of some piece of music for film IIRC.

I still like my D550,- for me it was worth a complete overhaul.

Same w/ my DX7mkII.

I rarely used stock patches for my music, but when I worked for other producers,- THEY wanted all these, here now called, "overused" sounds.

I´d say all these patches mentioned here are probably the most famous and successful factory-patches ever made by sound designers for commercial synths/romplers.

I totally agree on factory patches are for selling the machine in the store.

A.C.

I think the 808 and 909 electronic drum sounds are starting to wear a bit thin.

Agreed.

Well, as common as the "Fantasia" patch was, I figured everyone would remember it. I'm also at a cafe with music playing and didn't want to annoy people nearby.

Actually, I do like the sound of it (I often miss my D-50). Just curious how others felt.

I actually really like the Fantasia and Staccato Heaven patches, very clever bits of programming, they just need to be used sparingly. I use them occasionally where melody lines or hits need a little bit of emphasis and high-end sparkle.

Begs to question, what dictates OVERused? The most used sounds...piano, organ, EP, strings....are not considered over used even though they are the most used. So would you say these "overused" sounds shouldn't have been used at all? Or maybe could be used once and then not again because they are so unique and identifiable, that only one hit song should use them? I'm noticing that a lot of these where sounds that are just dated. They were cool at the time, cause they couldn't be produced before that. But now looking back, they seem, maybe, a little cheesy?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived