Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The DX7 EP patch, and other over-used sounds

Synthoid

Some of our forum members have often mentioned their dislike for the DX7... especially its EP sound. I was curious though, if anyone has the same disdain for the D-50 "Fantasia" patch, also over-used in the 80's and early 90's. It doesn't get discussed much. Comments?

Any other sounds from the past you hope to never hear again? :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Synthoid , why don't you post a sound demo off yt?.

Well, as common as the "Fantasia" patch was, I figured everyone would remember it. I'm also at a cafe with music playing and didn't want to annoy people nearby.

Actually, I do like the sound of it (I often miss my D-50). Just curious how others felt.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My deal with Fantasia was I never had any use for it. I never covered the right songs. But it was pretty.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Classic Chicago :D

[video:youtube]

You're lucky my gun isn't loaded. :cop::taz:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The shakuhachi patch. I think it's D-50 but I'm not sure.

That one I used in Sledgehammer.

The shakuhachi patch. I think it's D-50 but I'm not sure.

Yup... Probably most prominent use was George Michael's "Father Figure"...

I do remember hearing the "Fantasia" patch in quite a few ST:TNG episodes. Keith Emerson also used a lot of stock D-50 sounds with "Three".

I still have my D-50... use mainly for nostalgic times (ie. anytime I have had more than 2 beers :blush:)

Fantasia is quite a clever patch, but it's so particular of it's time, and so often used, it's hard not to make the auto-association.

How about 'orchestra hits'. Maybe it's as much the playing style used than the actual sounds themselves.

[video:youtube]_O5182ZgoIw

Isn't the acoustic piano the most over-used sound?

YES,- and electric guitar treated by the average blues guitarist playing pentatonic blues scale over I / IV / V.

I wonder If I should consider Hammond organ too ... ;)

A.C.

I think I also used the D-50 shaku on the slow version of After Midnight. Whichever patch it was it sounded like the record. I left very few presets on it between my own patches, vahalla patches, and liquid crystal.

What new synths HAVE the D 50 Fantasia? Same question for DX7 rhodes'? I like them both.. over used, yes, but they were used because they sounded nicely.

These seeming over reactions, such as Joe Muscara's, ( sorry for singling you out Joe -) ) I wonder where they come from?

I wonder why such antipathy for much of the seventies and eighties music?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Those synth sounds are *hated* because they were featured on overplayed sappy songs and TV themes that ruled the airwaves for almost a decade.

Also, dyed in the wool musos resent those sounds because during that time bands didn't want to hear or help schlep a real Rhodes, Wurli or B3. They figured a DX7 made more sense because it had every sound. :laugh:

Those sounds will never die as the songs are still being played and the TV shows live in reruns on cable.

Of course, a new generation of musos are rediscovering and using them too. I wouldn't put it past Pharrell or Bruno Mars to make a record with it.

I agree with Moe. That shakahuchi patch came from E-mu. That's a sound I will never use again. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I agree with Moe. That shakahuchi patch came from E-mu. That's a sound I will never use again. :D:cool:

The shak used at the beginning of "Sledgehammer" was the emu.. But the d-50 also had one.. D-50 shak was the one used at the beginning of "Father Figure"... not sure about "After Midnight".. but it sounds more like the D-50 shak than the emu.

IMO the emu one was better... seemed to be more expressive.

The FM EP needs to go, along with...

Dr. Dre-style analog leads (thin, tweezy Moog and Arp sounds dripping with Portamento)

Slap Bass patches (Seinfeld ruined that one)

The House Piano (super-compressed, M1-style piano patches)

The House Organ (super-compressed, M1-style organ patches)

One Note Symphonies / a.k.a. Bands-on-a-Key (Wavestation-style performances that play on one note)

Piano/String combis (you can't use the damper pedal)

Calliopes

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I think I started this mess by posting that I used the D-50 Shaku on Sledgehammer. The D-50 did not exist when So was recorded.

I think I started this mess by posting that I used the D-50 Shaku on Sledgehammer. The D-50 did not exist when So was recorded.

Oh great job! :mad:

Really.. no biggie. :) No debate the sound was first made on the early samplers... but once the shak sound was able to be "had" cheaply on a rompler was when it got really overused.. to the point it is now included in the GM soundset.

Archived