Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the deal with roland srx 11

Jasonbass32

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had one and would not really recommend it...also had the SRX-12

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What's the deal with the roland srx 11 complete piano card. I have noticed that they hit eBay for $350 or more and sell within hours if not minutes. Are the sounds that great. Are they that much better than what's in the fantom x.

Thanks

Jason

Poor value IMHO

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I had an SRX 11 and never liked it. The demos on the Roland website sound great, but they are presumably carefully recorded and played by an expert, and then modified to sound even better in terms of timing, touch etc. I found it harsh and hard to play nicely. I preferred the milder SRX 02, which was not perfect either. The SRX 12 EP board, however, is perfect (for me). With a good controller it sounds fantastic (for Rhodes - the clavs and Wurlies have their critics).

I was initially disappointed with the VR09's pianos, so I tried the SRX02 but wound up selling it about a month later. I've substantially tweaked the Ultimate Grand patch in an X7 to a brighter tone with slightly longer sustain and added a lot of sympathetic resonance along with an ever so slight touch of slow phaser and love it for my classic rock cover band. I've been GASing for the SRX11 ever since it came out but have also noticed the nutty prices they go for.

It takes up a lot of space on my iPad, but CMP provides a very nice AC piano sound for my solo stuff. It has quite a bit of character, but doesn't get in the way. Best dynamics of all iOS PNO's, IMHO.

BTW, got the SRX12 EP in my X7 and...LOVE IT! Also very pleased with the 06 Complete Orchestra. Would like to play around with the #10 World one someday, too.

The SRX11, along with the SRX-07 "Ultimate Keys" and SRX-09 "World" have long been discontinued but there are tons of older Roland synths still in use that these cards can dramatically enhance. If you have a Fantom XR with the SRX 07, 09 and 11 cards and you split everything up on ebay you can just about pay for an Integra-7 (which has all of that data onboard.)

I personally find the SRX-11 piano invaluable for musical theater applications, especially when used with a bit of the Fantom XR's Piano Resonance MFX using sustain pedal to control the "Damper" parameter. The SRX-11 piano is based on the same sample set as the Fantom XR factory ROM and RD700SX "Ultimate Grand", but it benefits greatly from more memory. Compared to the Fantom XR stock piano there are no obvious loops and the frequency response on the low and high end is fuller. It's interesting to A-B the factory and SRX piano in a Fantom XR with one of these cards installed.

At the end of the day the market has spoken here. I'm not selling mine.

I've substantially tweaked the Ultimate Grand patch in an X7 to a brighter tone with slightly longer sustain and added a lot of sympathetic resonance along with an ever so slight touch of slow phaser and love it for my classic rock cover band. I've been GASing for the SRX11 ever since it came out but have also noticed the nutty prices they go for.

I've never been entirely happy with the X's pianos, and normally just end up using the vanilla Concert Grand patch as I find it sits better in a mix than the Ultimate Grand. I'll definitely try those tweaks though, never thought of playing with the resonance.

BTW, got the SRX12 EP in my X7 and...LOVE IT! Also very pleased with the 06 Complete Orchestra. Would like to play around with the #10 World one someday, too.

I would love to try SRX12, but now I've quit my Doors tribute, I can't really justify it - SRX7 is good enough. 10 is a lot of fun. There are some lovely country electric guitars (the Tele in particular is STUPENDOUS), all kinds of quirky oriental strings and winds, and I've wasted a good few hours messing with the vocal samples. It's not something I ever would have bought (I found it in my second hand X8), but I'm glad I have it.

The SRX-11 piano is based on the same sample set as the Fantom XR factory ROM and RD700SX "Ultimate Grand", but it benefits greatly from more memory.

I thought the SRX-11 was based on Superior Grand, not Ultimate.

The SRX-11 piano is based on the same sample set as the Fantom XR factory ROM and RD700SX "Ultimate Grand", but it benefits greatly from more memory.

I thought the SRX-11 was based on Superior Grand, not Ultimate.

I might have gotten that wrong - I'm on the road at the moment and don't have access to these instruments. Whatever Roland's top piano was called in the days of the RD-700SX also had a lighter version in the Fantom XR factory ROM and a deluxe version in the SRX-11.

SRX11 is based on the Superior Grand... I had it in a JV 2020 and it was so uncontrollable . No matter how I set the velocity scales it was either too muffled or to bright, never right. Really disliked it in that set up. I absolutely hate the pianos in all the other SRX cards.

The SRX-12 Rhodes behaved much better.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 6 months later...

I know it's an old thread but in case anyone else is (like me) still using older gear that takes these Roland cards...

I've now has a good play with a borrowed SRX-11 installed in my gigging keyboard - the 76 key Juno Stage.

I had previously tried it using a friends CME controller running it in an XV5050. I found it a little difficult to control. Notes would jump out a bit.

It plays fine from the Juno Stage. I like the 001SuperbGrand. Quite big and rich sounding when you give it a bit of welly and a nice delicate sound - still with a good rich flavour - for quieter sections. I can play my classical pieces and they sound fine.

There's one paired with strings that I quite like too - 025Grand n Str - though I don't have a situation where I'd use that.

I posted on here before that I didn't think the Juno Stage needs this card. I gig using "Grand 4" which cuts through a live electric band without being overpowering. I still think this but I like those two sounds on this card - 001SuperbGrand and 025Grand n Str.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived