Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mix of input/output levels in a chain of devices

irie88s

I run a Roland RD700nx (and sometimes other synths) into a Behringer mixer, then through a Korg mini-KP Kaoss Pad Dynamic Effect Processor, then through a Boss RC-300 Loop Station, then through a KC-350 Keyboard Amplifier. All have some combination of level inputs/outputs, gain control and volume levels.

I'm trying to find the most sensible mix of output control from each device to give the best sound without distorting. I've experimented but haven't seem to come up with something that works. Sometimes there is distortion at extremely low levels when I know there shouldn't be.

Is there some logical solution to this that I am not comprehending? Should a certain device be turned up to the max more so than another? Does it depend on the place in the chain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all plug into the +4db input on the mixer. Not the -10db input. Are you using the efects loop on the the mixer. (if it has one) The loop should have a level control. If the board does have a loop you may need an insert cable if it is one of the low budget effects loops.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

St. Charles, MO, a suburb of St. Louis just over the Missouri river. I used to frequent Columbia in the college days when I was dating a girl down there. It's about a 100 mile drive. Do you gig in Columbia mate_stubb?

St. Charles, MO, a suburb of St. Louis just over the Missouri river. I used to frequent Columbia in the college days when I was dating a girl down there. It's about a 100 mile drive. Do you gig in Columbia mate_stubb?

I'm in St. Louis. In fact we're playing in Wentzville tomorrow night. Are you in a local band?

This is probably a classic gain staging issue, and when it comes to effects, in most cases (but not all) they should be part of an effects loop, and not in series. There are several possibilities as to source of distortion, and we'd probably need a bit more detail and troubleshooting to narrow it down.

Specifically, what are you doing with the kaoss pad and loop station?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I run a Roland RD700nx (and sometimes other synths) into a Behringer mixer, then through a Korg mini-KP Kaoss Pad Dynamic Effect Processor, then through a Boss RC-300 Loop Station, then through a KC-350 Keyboard Amplifier. All have some combination of level inputs/outputs, gain control and volume levels.

I'm trying to find the most sensible mix of output control from each device to give the best sound without distorting. I've experimented but haven't seem to come up with something that works. Sometimes there is distortion at extremely low levels when I know there shouldn't be.

Is there some logical solution to this that I am not comprehending? Should a certain device be turned up to the max more so than another? Does it depend on the place in the chain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all , your Roland keyboard should be set to about 90-100% on it's main out volume control.

Brett

I'm not in a band or anything. A few of us guys get together once a month and jam. None of us have really played together with other people before so it can be quite chaotic at times but fun nonetheless. It's a fun learning experience. Where do you guys typically play?

I am using the kaoss pad to add effects to the sound coming from either the keyboard or synths. I like to play around with sound exploration and experimental music.

I use the loop station when I am playing solo. I'll create riffs, layer different sounds and then play along.

Archived