Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key change for songs this Sunday - HELP!!

ChewisLewis

Please help!!

First of all are these chords in the key of E? If not, I need to know what they would be in the key of E..

Intro:

||: Asus2 | C#m | Asus2 | C#m Bsus4 :||

Verse 1:

Asus2

Come on, let's turn it up,

C#m

We're gonna sing it out

Asus2

For all the world to hear.

C#m

Oh, oh, oh.

Asus2

There's life for everyone

C#m

A new day has begun;

Asus2 C#m [to Chor]

Something to shout about.

Chorus:

Asus2 Bsus4 C#m

Let it be known that our God saves,

Bsus4 Asus2

Our God reigns.

Bsus4 C#m

We lift You up, up, (up).

Asus2 Bsus4 C#m

Let it be known that Love has come,

Bsus4 Asus2

Love has won.

Bsus4 C#m

We lift You up, up, up. Woah.

[1.] | Asus2 | C#m | Asus2 | C#m Bsus4 | [to Verse 2]

[2.] | Asus2 | C#m | Asus2 | C#m Bsus4 | [to Mid section]

[3.] || Asus2 | C#m | Asus2 | E Bsus4 :|| [End]

Mid section:

Asus2

We lift Your name up

E

Higher and higher.

C#m B

We lift Your name up.

Asus2

We shout Your name out

E

Louder and louder.

C#m B [Repeat section then to Chorus]

And is this song in the key of A? If so, I need it in the key of A..

G

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound

That saved a wretch like me!

I once was lost, but now am found

Was blind, but now I see

Verse 2

G C

Twas grace that taught my heart to fear

Em C

And grace my fears relieved

G C

How precious did that grace appear

Em C

The hour I first believed

Instrumental

G Em C

Verse 3 (Repeat of V2)

Through many dangers, toils, and snares

I have already come

Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far

And grace will lead me home

Bridge

Em Bm

My chains are gone, Ive been set free

Em Bm

My God my Savior has ransomed me

C Em Bm C

And like a flood, His mercy reigns

D Em C

Unending love, amazing grace

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First tune appears to be in E - though I'd have to hear a recording to be absolutely certain. Also make sure that the key requested is E Major. If it's Em, the music director may be thinking of the song in C#m - as that chord is frequently used. I'd check to be sure.

Second tune is in G; to transpose to A, simply move the chords up one, whole step. Here's a quick translation guide - from G to A - to get you started:

G Am Bm C D Em F#dim =

A Bm C#m D E F#m G#dim

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Also make sure that the key requested is [...]

...this! Some people say the relative minor/major, for example if someone calls "House Of The Rising Sun" and say "D" - do they mean D minor (Fmajor) or D major (B minor)..? Asking this twice will save you a lot of trouble.

...this! Some people say the relative minor/major, for example if someone calls "House Of The Rising Sun" and say "D" - do they mean D minor (Fmajor) or D major (B minor)..? Asking this twice will save you a lot of trouble.

When I was learning guitar, my instructor taught me that the major notes were just referred to as "D", "E", or whatever. The "major" was implied.

The minor notes were "D minor", "E minor" etc. The "minor" was always spoken or written. I have always done it that way.

Now, he was old school, and maybe conventions have changed, or maybe things are different in the keyboard/orchestral world?

I would be interested to know.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

When I was learning guitar, my instructor taught me that the major notes were just referred to as "D", "E", or whatever. The "major" was implied.

The minor notes were "D minor", "E minor" etc. The "minor" was always spoken or written. I have always done it that way.

Now, he was old school, and maybe conventions have changed, or maybe things are different in the keyboard/orchestral world?

I would be interested to know.

SSM

Technically and "officially", yes that's right, but as someone said, many band members simply call things "D" or "B" for 'simplicity's' sake. Or because they aren't big on their theory and simply don't know the difference.

Many a time I've turned up to a rehearsal having prepared a song in Bm (after being told it was in D) only to find out they meant D minor, or vice versa.

OP, let it be known is in C#m, which is "the same" as E, so if you're playing in "E" those chords should be correct. Worship bands are the worst for the scenario I described above, so I'm very strongly assuming when they say E they mean C#m.

Out of interest, that song is very synth/loop heavy - what are you doing on your keyboards for it? :D

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

It seems that you're not sure exactly what key you're going to.

At this juncture, it would probably be best to find the "Transpose" function on your keyboard, unless you're playing a real piano.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived