Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can the CP4 be powered down from the front panel?

kelp

When I get home from work every day I usually power on the CP4 and play it whenever I can sneak in a few minutes. So it's powered on while I'm not always around it. Twice now I've come back to find it powered off. The power button on the rear is still pushed in as if it's powered on, but it's not. I push the button (as if I were turning it off) and then in again and all is fine.

Now. The big variable. My three year old. The first time I'm pretty sure he did something, plus, all the EQ faders were pulled down which really threw me.

It just happened again tonight. And yes, he was around it when I wasn't. I tried pulling the power cord while powered up and putting it back in. It came back on. I can't figure out what he may have done. Or maybe it's not him and there's a problem? Or a hidden function from the front panel buttons?

I have left it on for hours at a time, especially on the weekends, with no problem.

I sure love him, but he's trouble! And of course, he can't tell me exactly what he might have done or even understand the situation.

Anybody know what might be happening?

Nord Lead A1; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 11 Pro; Windows 10

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect there's an 'Auto Power Off' function that is turning the instrument off after a few minutes/hours of inactivity. All new Kawai models have this feature, partly due to EU energy efficiency regulations, so I expect it is also present on other manufacturer's instruments.

Fortunately, it should be possible to disable the function in the CP4's system settings.

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.

Nord Electro 3 fan &

"The Auto Power-Off function automatically turns off your stage piano after a certain period of inactivity, which is approximately 30 minutes by default."

You can disable that feature if you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

D'oh! Right there on page 18.

But the second "Notice" bullet is the interesting part. It normally turns off after about 30 minutes, but if you edit something the auto power-off is disabled.

This makes sense. Tonight I turned it on, hit a few keys and walked away. MOST of the time I switch the sound to CFX Mn, which is an EDIT to the power-on program, which explains why I can have it on for hours and hours without the shutdown.

Gonna test it. THANKS GUYS!

But the second "Notice" bullet is the interesting part. It normally turns off after about 30 minutes, but if you edit something the auto power-off is disabled.

Which is how it should be, the auto-off should not cost you unsaved edits. This bit me on the PX-5S. I was editing, walked away, came back some time later, it was powered down and I had lost my work. I hadn't know about it's auto-off at that point, and it didn't occur to me that I had better Save my work before I walked away, I expected to come back to it just as I had left it. Silly me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

@jazzdoc52: I think I am slowly falling in love with it, which I think to be a good sign. I'm hesitant because my last board was a Nord Stage 2. We had a fiery romance from the word go. Two years into it my tastes and perceptions changed - mainly in the area of action. Before that I was into a Kurzweil PC361 (after which anything with any amount of resistance felt like a piano to me!).

I bought the CP4 without first playing it. I was not blown away when I first touched the keys. I definitely felt the "bottoming out" referenced in Aidan's thread. But I kept playing it and started to really appreciate the action. The "landing" was still there but it's not bothering me and can certainly do more and play more on this action than any other I'd experienced. And I definitely get less fatigued with it.

That "sound-to-finger" connection thing people reference is true. Hard to explain. It just feels very responsive.

I really like the piano sounds. The synths and strings were a pleasant surprise. The user interface is pretty immediate. And yes, I love having a built in metronome!

I do feel like I have my "piano house" in order now. Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes.

thats interesting, because I have a stage 2 76. I really like it, especially the action, but i have a sense that something is missing. If i get the CP4, it will be my main board, but I'm keeping the State 2 as an addition in church, and will use it some for practice sessions and portability. Everything i read about the CP4 is very positive.

Archived