Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Man, there is gonna be some great TV on this month...

picker

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get a "tinge" in my back whenever I think of it. 50 years! Can clearly recall sitting on the living room floor, watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, in glorious black and white! Hearing my Mother joke that it didn't seem possible for "that skinny kid"( George Harrison)with the "toothpick legs" to be able to stand up with that big guitar strapped to him, let alone PLAY it at the same time.( In spite of her disdain for much of my generations tastes in music, she actually liked many of the Beatles' tunes).

As I lamented in one of my songs, "So many years gone by in so short a time"

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Can clearly recall sitting on the living room floor, watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, in glorious black and white!

Whitefang

Oh yes. I was right there too. A truly pivotal moment in my life. And a moment that was clearly in my mind nearly 50 years later as I was shaking the hand of the cute bass player I had seen on Ed Sullivan.

Scott Fraser

I remember my 8th grade history teacher saying "it's just a fad, they'll never last, it's nice but it's not real music."

Here's a little known trivia fact.

Technically, Ed Sullivan WASN'T the first TV appearance of the Beatles. But it WAS the first LIVE appearance.

Two months or so earlier, by coincidence, I was in my room listening to the radio. The DJ had just got done spinning a new record from a group from England he said was called The Beatles, with an "A". "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was the coolest, most different song I heard in a long time. After it went off, I noticed it was near time for The Jack Paar Show to come on, so I turned off the radio and went into the living room.

Early on, Paar started talking about his trip to England and said he had some film footage of the "Hottest new music group" in England, The Beatles. "Spelled with an A", he said. Then proceeded to show the film. They sang "She Loves You" as I recall. He said they had just started distributing their records in America, and hope to come here soon.

I seem to be the only one of the people I've met through the years who ever saw or remembered any of that.

Whitefang

PS: If any of you are familiar with syndicated columnist LEONARD PITTS JR., I suggest you look up his column of 2/7/14. He writes a bit about the Beatles anniversary, and the odd state of popular music these days. If I knew how, I'd provide some kind of link. He wonderfully sums up much of what we've been thinking about it.

Their music was smuggled into the US in 63. When they arrived in 64 they could not believe the crowds waiting for them. The news reporters thought it was much ado about nothing...Us kids new something the older generation would take years to understand. +1, I Want to Hold Your Hand was very cool...
Take care, Larryz

Their music was smuggled into the US in 63. When they arrived in 64 they could not believe the crowds waiting for them. The news reporters thought it was much ado about nothing...Us kids new something the older generation would take years to understand. +1, I Want to Hold Your Hand was very cool...

Yeah, I distinctly remember they were already well established on radio before the Ed Sullivan show, at least in LA. But I also have this memory of "She Loves You" & "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" both being hits at about the same time. In my memory, since they were both on top 40 radio at the same time, it seemed like they were A & B sides of the same 45, but I think that's a faulty recollection. "Please Please Me", their 1st hit in the UK was apparently a flop in the US, & I only heard it when the first album came out.

Scott Fraser

It would be cool to know the flip side of their 63 singles. VeeJay records was the 1st to pick them up in the States. The flip side of I Want To Hold Your Hand was This Boy (that's all I could find). The top 10 in 63 were: I Want To Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, All My Loving, Please Please Me, Twist and Shout, From Me To You, It Won't Be Long, Love Me Do and Do You Want to Know a Secret...with This Boy and I Wanna Be Your Man as contenders...according to one article...+1 on Please Please Me not making it big in the US at first and it was recorded about 3 times with different flip sides on different labels from the UK to the USA...lots of good articles and blogs floating around on the net right now!
Take care, Larryz

Gonna have to watch THIS...

Every second of it Picker. That stuff is my music.

I was there back then when that was happening. We had to drive all the way to Atlantic City (30 miles) to get the LP's and 8 track tapes and on the way home we listened to them in the car. I never will forget the day I heard Sgt Pepper album and A Day In The Life, could not believe that. By the time we got home we listened to that album, and Hendrix Are You Experienced. That was the day I changed my taste in music, before that it was Motown and doo wop, but that all faded away with the advent of Psychedelic and hard rock. Those were the days.......

I wonder if it all that changes from label to label, or from England to the states, but I remember "I Saw Her Standing There" was the "B" side of my "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" 45 on the Capitol label. Now, I had "She Loves You" on the Vee-Jay label, but don't recall the "B" side. Odd.

Now I know since all the CD re-issues started, I couldn't find some of the LPs I used to have. "Meet The Beatles" was not re-issued, but the one called, "With The Beatles" was. THAT Version was never available in the States back then, as I recall. And "Meet The Beatles" contained "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", whereas "With" didn't. Also, the LP known here as "Beatles '65" was CD re-issued in the British version only, known as "Beatles For Sale". Since it's been YEARS since I saw my copy of it, I couldn't say if there were track changes or not. I also couldn't say if all that confusion was caused by Capitol's arrogance or what. I have their discography set in my "favorites" list on my server. Maybe time for some deeper investigation...

Whitefang

I wonder if it all that changes from label to label, or from England to the states, but I remember "I Saw Her Standing There" was the "B" side of my "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" 45 on the Capitol label. Now, I had "She Loves You" on the Vee-Jay label, but don't recall the "B" side. Odd.

Now I know since all the CD re-issues started, I couldn't find some of the LPs I used to have. "Meet The Beatles" was not re-issued, but the one called, "With The Beatles" was. THAT Version was never available in the States back then, as I recall. And "Meet The Beatles" contained "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", whereas "With" didn't. Also, the LP known here as "Beatles '65" was CD re-issued in the British version only, known as "Beatles For Sale". Since it's been YEARS since I saw my copy of it, I couldn't say if there were track changes or not. I also couldn't say if all that confusion was caused by Capitol's arrogance or what. I have their discography set in my "favorites" list on my server. Maybe time for some deeper investigation...

Whitefang

Yeah, for some reason Capitol in the US had a very different conception of what American audiences would go for than EMI in England. So the album versions tend to be quite different, even including different versions of the mix at times. I think by the time of Sgt Pepper & later the US & UK versions were the same, since the album was seen as a unified concept from start to finish.

Scott Fraser

Really looking forward to tonight! I'm not sure if the younger generation still appreciates the major dent the Beatles put in to good old Rock and Roll. I know many of us on this forum were there at the time and will really appreciate tonight's show (better not be a flop! my fingers are crossed). About 4 years ago my 5 or 6 of my buddies (3 were from my 1st band back in the 60's) all flew down to Las Vegas to celebrate our 60th birthdays with our wives. We booked the Beatles Love Show by Circ du Soleil and it was fabulous, bringing back a whole lot of memories! Hope it's another walk down memory lane for us old codgers... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

About 4 years ago my 5 or 6 of my buddies (3 were from my 1st band back in the 60's) all flew down to Las Vegas to celebrate our 60th birthdays with our wives. We booked the Beatles Love Show by Circ du Soleil and it was fabulous, bringing back a whole lot of memories! Hope it's another walk down memory lane for us old codgers... :thu:

Cool. My wife took me to Las Vegas to see "Love" last summer for my 61st. It was fabulous in the way that both Cirque du Soleil & The Beatles are totally fab. She's since become totally disabled as her health declines, so this, being our last possible vacation together, will always be with me as the most special of our memories together.

Scott Fraser

We booked the Beatles Love Show by Circ du Soleil and it was fabulous, bringing back a whole lot of memories! Hope it's another walk down memory lane for us old codgers...

Saw The Beatles Love 2 times at the Mirage in Las Vegas, about a year apart. I think the tickets were a hundred fifty or a hundred seventy five per person. To me it was worth every penny.

She's since become totally disabled as her health declines, so this, being our last possible vacation together, will always be with me as the most special of our memories together.

As a senior myself all I can say is; I hope she does not have to suffer.

I don't mind dying as long as it is quick and painless, and I wish that for every other senior as well as your wife, if it is a terminal disease.

My best wishes go out to you and family.

We got a great deal on the tickets DBM as we all stayed at the Mirage, but I would gladly pay to see it again. It was a great memory for us too!

Scott, you know we all send our best wishes to you and your wife and family.

Tonights 50th Anniversary Beatles show was great and I would watch it again too! Hope you all tuned in!

Take care, Larryz

OK. So, what did y'all think?

Besides Katy Perry butchering "Yesterday" and Lenox equally butchering "Fool On The Hill", I thought it went quite well.

I do wonder why Imagine Dragon omitted my favorite verse from "Revolution", but still thought their adaptation was good. It would have been more fitting if the director had the cameras show more of Dahni Harrison instead of Jeff Lynne when they performed together. And didn't Yoko look a bit high whenever they showed her on camera?

And what make and model of 12-string was Dave Stewart playing?

Whitefang

OK. So, what did y'all think?

I wish they had given Peter Frampton a song. I thought Joe Walsh did a great job of recreating the solos he played, but thought his voice sounded kind of harsh. As did Annie Lenox's voice. Should have had Clapton play the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" solo. Can't really find much fault, although Wix (keys in Paul's band) got exactly zero screen time. BTW, Paul has a super band. Rusty Anderson, Brian Ray, Abe Laboriel Jr, & Wix all deserve special kudos. And I should mention that I will never ever get tired of seeing or hearing anything about the Beatles.

Scott Fraser

Sorry Fang, but I thought Katy did a great job on Yesterday. I had never really thought of that song being sung from a female perspective (although I'm sure she's not the first to sing it changing the "she" to a "he")...I liked her vocal presentation. I didn't think Lenox was staying in key and would have liked to see her in her tux instead of that all metal dress she was wearing. She did get a standing O...

I think Joe Walsh did a great job along with all the other guitar slingers, very impressive improvs, not sure about that 12 string model and where was Clapton?

I can't [imagine] how wild the crowd would have gone if John and George could have been there. I know they were there in spirit...

Take care, Larryz

I didn't think Lenox was staying in key

About the time I was thinking she was veering out of tune I saw her reach back to her in-ear monitor receiver, presumably to turn up the volume. As is often the case when somebody who is known to be able to sing in tune goes off it's due to a monitor issue.

Scott Fraser

MY thought was a slightly flatter key might have helped with Lennox. Sounded as if she was stretching to hard for the higher notes. Always thought she had a good voice, too. So her performance surprised me.

And WHERE was JULIAN LENNON?

I thought the same thing about Clapton. Thought maybe he was commited elsewhere maybe, and couldn't do it. Wondered if anyone thought to ASK him.

But the highlight for me, SECOND to Paul and Ringo onstage together, was Grohl and Lynne's cover of "Hey, Bulldog".

Whitefang

Very good question. And while we're at it, Zak Starkey was otherwise committed?

But the highlight for me, SECOND to Paul and Ringo onstage together, was Grohl and Lynne's cover of "Hey, Bulldog".

Whitefang

I've always liked that song. Now I'm wondering why it was never a hit. I guess in a catalog of so many absolute gems it's likely that another gem just gets overlooked.

Scott Fraser

Whitefang

+1000 great job! I never really listened to the Yellow Submarine album and this song was one that sounded brand new to me, especially the way Grohl and Lynne put it together! Definitely a song that passed the passage of time test...Paul and George would drop by Donovans' home and run songs by him. He wrote the lyrics "sky of blue and sea of green" for our yellow submarine...

There were many highlights for me like Joe Walsh's improv, Stevie Wonder's rendition, and I think Ringo and his band did a great job on Boys...

It might have been cool to include one of the Tribute bands too as there are a couple of great ones out there that play note for note and have the look. It would have to have been tastefully introduced as it would be a touchy subject. They could have done something like cutting away from the Ed Sullivan black and white TV show to the live tribute in black and white without missing a lick...

Take care, Larryz

Very good question. And while we're at it, Zak Starkey was otherwise committed?

Rehearsing with either The Who or Oasis is my guess; there's rumors of anniversary tours fo both bands (50th for the Who, 20th for Oasis) going around. Pino Palladino bailed on NIN after the 2013 dates were completed, and a Who tour is the rumored reason why.

Archived