Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK1 Extra Voice Question

DanL

I've seen demos where there is piano and a pad/strings- are these built into a single extra voice, or can you layer them yourself? If they are a single voice, can you change the balance, like if you want to bring the strings in later during a chorus and then go back to straight piano on a verse?

I'm gassing a bit and I think I want to upgrade my organ sound from the Stage classic. I know I'm giving up the synth section, which I use a lot and not having it still may be a deal breaker, but it's also important that if I go for the SK1 that I can do some gigs on just that board, and having the ability to bring pads in under a piano/ep is important.

Thanks!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure of the answer but I got to tell you that I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on an SK1-73. I'm playing with different bands and the SK1-73 would fit the bill nicely. The piano is good enough for me (except for Dyin Breed where it is more piano centric) but the other bands I'm doing a fair amount of organ and for those gigs the piano is good enough... EP's work and Clav is very good. 21 pounds ..... add a vent (which I already have) and I'm golden.

What I was really hoping was for Hammond to come out with an SK1 module like the XM2 except built completely into the drawbar unit. Jim Alfredson had sketched one up about a year ago, he called it the XM3. If they came out with that for $1K I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm looking at the SK1 73 as well. I have some synth stuff on the stage that I'd need to offload to the S70XS, and for some of the Floyd songs that is easier said than done because the S70XS is split and layered out with that already. If I didn't need the extra voices, and just the organ sound, I'd go right for the XK1-c, or a 61 key SK1.

I bet that piano would be fine for Dyin Breed, you guys are loud and the nuances of a sweet piano gets lost, just like it does for me in Montana. The only tradeoff is the weighted action.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

To answer your original questions: Nope, you can't layer EV sounds yourself nor can you change the amount of layering between different sounds. Hammond just came out with a piano/strings layer EV, I plan on downloading the newest OS tonight so I can check it out. For now I use a Piano/Pad layer that sounds really nice.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

To answer your original questions: Nope, you can't layer EV sounds yourself nor can you change the amount of layering between different sounds. Hammond just came out with a piano/strings layer EV, I plan on downloading the newest OS tonight so I can check it out. For now I use a Piano/Pad layer that sounds really nice.

To my ears the new patch has the strings too far below the piano

and they don't sustain like a regular string patch would.

I tried EQing to bring the string portion out but it effects the overall sound

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

To my ears the new patch has the strings too far below the piano

and they don't sustain like a regular string patch would.

I tried EQing to bring the string portion out but it effects the overall sound

Figures, guess I'm not expecting much as I don't care for any of the string sounds that are built into the SK1. I do like some of the backing strings from the libraries that I use on their own.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I've seen demos where there is piano and a pad/strings- are these built into a single extra voice, or can you layer them yourself? If they are a single voice, can you change the balance, like if you want to bring the strings in later during a chorus and then go back to straight piano on a verse?

I'm gassing a bit and I think I want to upgrade my organ sound from the Stage classic. I know I'm giving up the synth section, which I use a lot and not having it still may be a deal breaker, but it's also important that if I go for the SK1 that I can do some gigs on just that board, and having the ability to bring pads in under a piano/ep is important.

Thanks!

I own the SK1-73 and I believe you can only layer an EV with the organ sound.

I don't play gigs anymore, just a basement dweller so I listen through cans or stereo monitors, so I really like the built in Leslie sim....in stereo. Haven't ever tried mono, so maybe the Vent is better for live work in mono.

I use the built in 147 Leslie sim, close mic'd, because personally I like that heavy Doppler effect.

Looking forward to more EVs coming out....as in hope they will support the product for some time to come.

Paul

Archived