Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord samples Electric Grand Amped and. EP7 Tines Amped

sakari lindhen

Ooooh yes!

Finally, a new Rhodes...and a half-decent filesize too! Thank you Clavia (and Sampletekk?)!

You're welcome! :D

Hi Worra!

Thanks for your work on these samples. They sound great!

I am curious. If Nord were to release new samples for the Clav with a layer for note-off, would that add as much size to the file as these new samples have added to the Rhodes filesize?

Do you know if this is being considered by Nord?

We are running out of storage and I'm pretty sure Nord would rather I purchase a new keyboard than make a retrofit for my Electro 3 HP.

You may not know the answers, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel the same way- I only use that sound on a couple songs but its worth having it. I only wish I had room for the Rhodes too. I'd delete the acoustic piano if I didn't need it for single board gigs!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

So I just tried out the new samples and my judgement for now is:

Electric Grand: It's obviously a lot better than the old ones. But I haven't ever used this sound in a live sitiuation so I didn't keep it. If I was doing old prog rock (Genesis, Peter Gabriel, UK), then I would love to have it.

EP7: I had four Nord EP's loaded and really didn't like any of them. I appreciate the variety in tone, but I don't consider any of them very expressive. I'd rather have one really playable one than a variety of less-playable alternatives. The new one is definitely more expressive so I'm going with it. Only kept the MkII Shallow and tossed the rest.

Now I need to try out the Chick Corea MOXF Rhodes that I've had for a month but have yet to load.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I loaded them into my Electro 3 and, to my fingers, they respond MUCH better than the original samples! The Electro action has always left me a little cold as far as being able to play expressively and these new samples feel far more playable than the old ones. They really give the E3 new life!

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I ditched both acoustic piano's (The Grand Lady and Bright Grand) from my NE3, installed the Studio Grand 2, and used the room for both the new Wurly (2) and EP7. Like 'em. Couldn't get rid of both EP1 and EP4, so a few MB's short for the new (mono) CP80. Which already sounds better than the old one in the demo, so: too bad.

Rehearsal tonight, whohoo! :)

I downloaded the new rhodes last night and played it at the lame church gig this morning. Some of the older folks in the congregation have been moanin' about the volume, so we weren't really playing out at all, but to my ears-- I don't notice a radical difference, tonally from the EP 1.

I certainly wasn't digging in, playing very loud, or playing very much, so maybe under more normal circumstances I'd notice more of an improvement. But just by going on this morning, it sounds and feels very similar to the MKI. I was running mono with the A&H Zed 10 and one RCF TT08A.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

I also don't find the new Rhodes to stand out much - surprising given that it's file size is nearly 5 x any of the others. The Wurlie on the other hand is noticeably 'better'. I've been loading one of the new instruments at a time so I can A/B them within the same program (eq, reverb, amp sim ...etc..)Have yet to load the electric grand.
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I found the same thing with the Rhodes, but I chopped off the end of my right index finger cutting up meat and can't really dig into anything right now. I'll reload it in a week. Also want to play it from a weighted board.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Ow DanL!

Granted the EP7 IS more detailed cf the EP1. The big difference in the Wurlies that I heard through headphones is today less apparent through my K10. aaaagh... my ears need recalibrating.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I had a good play with the new EP7 over the weekend.

Personally, I found the character to be a little bit too dirty. If this was a patch using the original MK1 and the speaker simulation, I would want to dial-down the drive level a few notches, however there's obviously no way of doing this with the drive being part of the sample.

After a little playing with the EP7, I switched back to the original MK1 (EP1?) and found that it immediately sounded rather too clean and sterile, and also lacked expression. It's interesting how our ears 'recalibrate' in this way...

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

First rehearsal with some of these new sample sets. Less than optimal sound environment in our (rented) rehearsal room. The EP7 didn't impress me as much as when played at home. The new Wurly OTOH did. I have considered selling my NE3, after buying a Kurz PC3. But the more detailed character of the AP's (and to a lesser extent: EPs) have withdrawn me from this step. Now, I do what those manufacturers likely would approve of: keep 'em both :) (Cause *buying* 'em both is what makes their world go round, understandably).

I tweaked my Kurz to get a nice Superstition clav: value of *that* beast also proven again...

Hopefully, my ears will recalibrate favourably regarding EP7 as well... :) At home, the process has already begun.

First rehearsal with some of these new sample sets. Less than optimal sound environment in our (rented) rehearsal room. The EP7 didn't impress me as much as when played at home. The new Wurly OTOH did. I have considered selling my NE3, after buying a Kurz PC3. But the more detailed character of the AP's (and to a lesser extent: EPs) have withdrawn me from this step. Now, I do what those manufacturers likely would approve of: keep 'em both :) (Cause *buying* 'em both is what makes their world go round, understandably).

I tweaked my Kurz to get a nice Superstition clav: value of *that* beast also proven again...

Hopefully, my ears will recalibrate favourably regarding EP7 as well... :) At home, the process has already begun.

I also have bought a PC3 lately. I really like it for a number of reasons including its tone, but still think my NE3 sounds better on all ascpects (AP, EP and organs..)

Rudy

The CP70 is flat out amazing. The best CP70 sound I have ever heard. I played a CP70 last year and I honestly would not be able to tell the difference. So much better than the CP70 in the Korg SV-1 for instance.

The Rhodes sample is not really so great for me... I have tried all the Rhodes samples now and it seems the top end kinda flattens out when I would like to hear more of a percussive element and bite... also its a bit jumpy

But saying that.. no one else has managed to get the sound in a keyboard yet either. My favourite Rhodes sound tonally was the Motif Rhodes (they sampled a beautiful Rhodes on that) but it lacked the body due to the inherent looping... and the velocity switching was too obvious...

I appreciate having choices.

Some may not agree with Nord's business model, particularly the price. OTOH, I have found my NE3HP to be built well. I also am a huge fan of having the ability to choose from their extensive sample library. The majority of their offerings are excellent. And if you aren't a fan of a current sample, the anticipation of downloading a new one - at no additional charge - can be very exciting.

We've come a long way with the quality and feature sets of available keyboard instruments since I started in the seventies with an RMI Electra-Piano.

Cup half full. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I chopped off the end of my right index finger cutting up meat and can't really dig into anything right now.

Holy s--t! Get well soon.

Ouch.. Hope you recover quick and no serious damage is done.

Thanks! It's good, there's nice clean flat spot on the end, about 3/8" across. I really sharp knife and it went thru it like butter. I do this once in a while, loving to cook doesn't bode well for keyboards at times. No serious damage but it's in a bad place for playing keys. Right where you'd slide off a black note to a white note. I did a gig Saturday night and taped it up real good to pad it and even with the precaution it was killing me yesterday. I don't have any gigs this week, just a rehearsal, so by the time I have to gig again I should be good!

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

We've come a long way with the quality and feature sets of available keyboard instruments since I started in the seventies with an RMI Electra-Piano.

I started with a real clunker Wurli, next up was the RMI and then moved up to a high end Baldwin Electropiano by the time the early '70s hit. I'm standing on the left with a Pabst & Marlboro no less.. :crazy:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152166271071590&set=a.382231976589.159979.318868906589&type=1&relevant_count=1

2005 NY Steinway D

I started with a real clunker Wurli, next up was the RMI and then moved up to a high end Baldwin Electropiano by the time the early '70s hit. I'm standing on the left with a Pabst & Marlboro no less.. :crazy:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152166271071590&set=a.382231976589.159979.318868906589&type=1&relevant_count=1

"This content is currently unavailable."

moved up to a high end Baldwin Electropiano by the time the early '70s hit. I'm standing on the left with a Pabst & Marlboro no less.. :crazy:

The piano in that pic is the model I had as well I wish I still had it. I still kick myself for putting it in a dumpster, even though it needed work at that point. It's not like I'd use it all that much if I had it... I have a real grand piano for home, and I would no longer gig with something that heavy. But it would be cool for recording. Great action on that board, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great action on that board, too.

Are you talking about the ElectroPro?

Great action is not how I would describe mine. Take the slop of an upright action, make it worse by simplifying the back checks and other escapement parts, sprinkle with a dose of uneven, and you had mine.

It did sound noticeably better to me than a CP70 though.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

"This content is currently unavailable."

I'm guessing you have to be logged onto FB to see that Dana. I finally gave in and just signed up last month. :blush: Mainly to communicate with old friends back in St. Lou. Not sure how else to post that picture.

2005 NY Steinway D

I'm guessing you have to be logged onto FB to see that Dana. I finally gave in and just signed up last month. :blush:

I recently deactivated my account. :thu:

Not sure how else to post that picture.

If you right-click on the photo and select Properties, you can get the direct URL link.

Archived