Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord samples Electric Grand Amped and. EP7 Tines Amped

sakari lindhen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
finally a new EP! how am I going to squeeze this into a Stage classic....

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Well fancy that, Margaret!

These are ...recorded through a magic mix of custom built pre-amps, tube amps and vintage outboard.:thu:

Electric Grand Amped Mono Sml 5.3 npno 31,4 MB

Electric Grand Amped Stereo Med 5.3 npno 62,7 MB

EP7 Tines Med Amped 5.3 npno 31,1 MB

Thanks for keeping your ear to the door, Sakari! :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I gave them a listen and really dug what they have to offer.

Now, I have to go through NS2 and see what I can dump to load them in.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

That CP70 demo sounds good, with more freshness than the older sample file. Rhodes seems not so revolutionary, but have to load them both in my NE3 to check their full potential (from a weighted controller).

Anyhow: too little memory space to accommodate them all.

While I guess I like the sound of these new samples, I am a little mystified by where Nord is going with this "amped" series. I have the NE4 which has an effects section with a few amp sims and overdrive. Am I not supposed to use these sims now? I would love to see some recommendations from Nord about how we should set on-board effects in light of the sounds being pre-processed other than an implied "do what sounds good to you". The narrative provided for these new sounds is very short on information.

I hate to complain, but as someone who uses a tube amp and outboard gear, I'd rather have some higher res raw samples than samples with the amp & outboard gear built in. I know I'm in the minority though...

A minority of two, at least. But I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth... particularly after complaining about the state of its teeth for so long!

I need more memory as well -- a LOT more -- lots of good APs and EPs from Nord to choose from these days.

The new EP7 samples sound like a winner: good bite, some sparkle, a decent dollop of Rhodes grit. I'd prefer a raw sample and add my own effects, but I can't complain -- they've come up with a usable voice that's just a button-press away ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I test drove the ep and the cp. since I have a stage classic, I had to dump the upright piano, which I only used once in a while, and the cp can sub for that to a degree. I didn't have enough room for the new ep so I went back to the last one they released.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Ooooh yes!

Finally, a new Rhodes...and a half-decent filesize too! Thank you Clavia (and Sampletekk?)!

I hate to complain, but as someone who uses a tube amp and outboard gear, I'd rather have some higher res raw samples than samples with the amp & outboard gear built in. I know I'm in the minority though...

I've yet to try the new samples, however I'm inclined to agree, somewhat. If recording directly out of the Nord or listening through heaphones these amped samples surely sound terrific. However, at band practise and the occasionally live gig, I typically plug into a Fender Twin. When I tried the new amped Wurly at practise a few weeks ago, I felt the sound was too 'boomy', and ended-up returning to the original Wurly for its more neutral character.

Of course, my comments should obviously be taken with a grain of salt - this is just one person's limited experience with one sample - but I hope the same the new amped Mk1 doesn't have the same boomy character at band practise tomorrow.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

First - THANKS Clavia/Nord! Moving new samples in and out of my NE3HP is really, really nice!

Second - I tried the new Rhodes a few minutes ago. It didn't float my boat, so I replaced it with the old Sparkletop Vintage 1967 and the Bright Tines MK1.

I may delete the Upright because...

I tried the new Electric Grand Amped in mono and really like it. :thu: I might like the stereo version better. Deleting the upright will give me the space I need to load the stereo version.

So, here's what I've loaded for now:

06FEB14

Grand Lady D Steinway Med 61.0MB

Electric Grand Amped MONO 31.4MB

Queen Upright Bosendorfer Sml 32.3MB

6 Sparkletop Vintage 1967 12.2MB

5 Bright Tines MK1 1975 14.8MB

Wurlitzer 2 Amped 24.0MB

Clavinet D6 5.7MB

AVAILABLE: 4.0MB

I feel certain that the nonvolatile memory is soldered to the board, but...

If someone came out with an upgrade kit, :idea:

Naaaaah. I'm dreaming. :rolleyes:

One more thing...

Having FOUR levels of dynamics to quickly choose from really nails it for me!

When I need it, all I have to do is bump up a level or two and inspiration just pours out of this thing.

++ EDIT! ++

OK. I deleted the upright and...

reinstalled the new EP7 Tines Amped MK1. :thu:

NOW I hear the difference! The new sample is smoother across the keyboard, but it has a nice bark when I bump up velocity to the third level (first level is no velocity change, then there are levels 1-2-3).

I play with a light touch, so this really makes a big difference when comparing these samples with each other! No kidding. It's night & day!

OK. My keyboard just got better.

I'm happy.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Having FOUR levels of dynamics to quickly choose from really nails it for me!

Hmm...I'm a little jealous about this. ;(

I play my NE3 hooked up to an MP8II at home - really great combination (best of both words), but when it comes to band practise and gigs, it's just the NE3...the semi-weighted keyboard can feel so light and flimsy - it takes a while to adjust.

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I'd love to be able to replace the memory. I have:

Bright grand YaS4 small- 45mb

Egrand Mono 32mb

EP5 Bright Tines 15mb

Wurlie 2 Amped 25mb

Clav 6mb

No upright. No room for the new Rhodes- I picked the electric grand over the new EP. I have about 3-4 mb free.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I just did a recording'with the new EP7. Loaded it into the NP88 this morning and used it right away on the session this afternoon.

Even though I was flying on the radar, it sounds sweet!

Rather than dialing in amp sim etc. I just called up this sound and ran with it.

Everybody's happy.

(BTW, fast as always Sakari!)

I suspect he monitors his Twitter feed like a hawk. ;)

being disabled pensioner, I have time to do that :)

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

The new samples came just in time before my gig last night and I loaded up both the EP7 and the new CP.

Its unfortunate that the both the new wurly and the EP7 are still quite boomy. Im using the EX88 btw so no sweepable mid eq and the bass doesnt cut enough of the mud. So instead of using up the amp section as an eq, i always cut the lows on the desk.

Ive recorded the gig and will listen back later on, interested to hear how it cuts through.

The CP however is a fast improvement over the old ones.

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

Archived