Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Garage sale?

Pa Gherkin

This has probably been asked here before,but I'll be darned if I can find anything no matter what search methods I use. I'm thinking of putting a couple of pieces of gear in the Garage Sale section here . For those of you with experience selling in this forum's classifieds,what are your preferred methods of payment? Thanks for any guidance.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only used it twice.

I may be in the minority - a lot of folks like paypal, I've boycotted it. For me, the advantage here is we trust each other. He'l, I'll send cash. Point is, here, for me, it's like selling to a friend.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've bought a couple of things here from members, and like Dan I thought of it as buying from friends or family. In both instances, the sellers were 100% above reproach in every aspect, and I paid them in the manner they asked (I don't recall which each of them requested.)

I've sold a few items and bought a few here. Payment has been by personal check in every case.

Because the person who writes Wayne a bad check is suicidal!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I sold one item on here recently. I accepted PayPal. Everything went very smoothly and I hope the buyer is happy with his purchase.

Before putting it for sale, I made the conscious decision to only sell to an active poster here. I can't imagine anyone devoting their time to discussing music here and at the same time being out to scam a quick buck. I probably could have made another hundred or two selling the item on eBay, but as the posters above note, it feels nicer selling to somebody you "know", even if only from online forum discussions. On the flip side I would completely trust any of you when buying gear as well, that there are no hidden or unspecified problems

I'm lucky that many of y'all don't ship to Canada...

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I've used paypal, it's just easier, but I'd have no problem doing a check for people I know.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Shipping to Canada wasn't so bad from the seller's side. I sold my XK-3C to a guy in Vancouver, BC (wasn't through this group) a year or so ago. That was a PITA for him. I shipped it out OK and got mapdi, but it sat in customs for a few weeks and he had to pay import duties.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

PayPal has been solid for me. Note though that there's a 2.9% fee (+$0.30 per transaction for some odd reason) for receiving the money, which I always offer to eat.

If both seller and buyer have verified accounts then PayPal will reimburse either party if there's a problem.

I've done face-to-face. Taken cash. Taken a check. My post count is on the low side but I've had nothing but good experiences and exchanges with anyone here.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Shipping to Canada wasn't so bad from the seller's side. I sold my XK-3C to a guy in Vancouver, BC (wasn't through this group) a year or so ago. That was a PITA for him. I shipped it out OK and got mapdi, but it sat in customs for a few weeks and he had to pay import duties.

True. Another reason why I would hesitate to buying anything from the USA unless it was an incredible deal. Now I wonder if my buyer in Chicago had to pay any import charges on his end?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I think I have an image problem.
I don't think the source of the problem is your image. :laugh:

I bought an NE2 here, but the owner happened to be in town so I paid in person. Don't remember how; probably a personal check. A bad one, no doubt, but nobody's broken my legs yet.

I purchased once off of this forum and once off another forum and used Paypal both times.

My purchase here was a Receptor, so the dollars were more significant. The seller had little activity here in the recent past but a large number of posts over several years. This made the seller seem more reliable but I had no certainty about the transaction.

I made several calls to Paypal before I pulled the trigger. I also did some checking on the web about the safety of Paypal. While I think Paypal offers some degree of protection, I think it is still somewhat risky and offers no guarantee that you won't get ripped off.

I'm a handshake kind of guy and my word is my bond. There are many folks here on the forum that I would trust with a personal check if I were selling to them. Unfortunately, the "bad people" out there take advantage of guys like us all the time, so we have to ensure we protect ourselves to the best of our ability.

The minute I authorized the Paypal payment for the Receptor, I had a sick feeling in my gut. I feared that my gear lust had swayed my common sense and that I had put myself at risk. I had little confidence in Paypal protecting me.

Fortunately the transaction went as promised. The seller was a 100% stand-up guy. We even had some email correspondence with him offering some Receptor help.

A happy ending, but I still say you need to use common sense. The reality is that if I try to buy anything from another state and it doesn't work out, I'll have a hard time working that out if the person on the other end is trying to screw me.

Unlike some other folks posts here have indicated, I'm not much of a vigilante.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Excellent point. Before any significant $ changes hands I want to at least hear a phone voice on the other end of the deal.

Sounds kind of bad if taken out of context. :blush:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I have had a bad Paypal experience. I bought 2 identical CDs from a company...they shipped one, billed for two. I went through the steps with Paypal, but they denied my claim, saying there was insufficient evidence that I received just one. WTF???

I take credit cards through my business, so that works for me.

Paul

Archived