Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newest member of Pat Metheny Unity Band

GovernorSilver

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a multi-instrumentalist, I sometimes fantasize about snagging the "utility player" spot in one of PM's bands.

Then I see a player like Carmassi and am awakened to reality. ;)

Former Pat Metheny Group member Pedro Aznar was similarly multi-talented. "He played bass like Jaco and guitar like me" was Metheny's comment about Aznar. Aznar though had to learn how to play percussion to complete his utility player role, and they later brought on a real percussionist (Armando Marcal). Carmassi appears to have the drum chops down already.

Then there was Richard Bona...whooboy...

I should start looking for tickets to the Unity Band show at Strathmore. I wonder if Metheny will let Carmassi showcase those keyboard chops.

I remember 35+ years ago, after a guitar lesson, my teacher walked me to a record store next to the music store, pulled the brand new PMG "white album" from the bin and said "you must buy this". I still have that well worn copy.

PM is my favorite living musician. I don't know how many times I've see him. I think the first time was when they had Nana Vasconcelos as a guest on percussion. I've probably seen every PMG tour since then through Speaking Of Now and The Way Up. Saw PM in the "Parallel Realities" band with Herbie, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. Saw him as a sideman with a very young Joshua Redman. In the trio with Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard, and the more recent trio with Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez. With Brad Mehldau. With the Unity Band. I'll see the new group in Buffalo next month.

Too much?

Too much?

.... is never enough, when it comes to Pat Metheny, Mark. :thu:

Thanks for the heads up about Mr. Carmassi, GovernorSilver. I played the video clip and I was very surprised to hear my teenager started humming along, very accurately. (Being a horn player, he later said he prefers Mr. Carmassi's horns to Lyle's Oberheim. :mad: )

... still has much to learn, this padawan has ... :whistle:

I love nearly everything Pat does, but PMG has an incredibly substantial body of work. Does the Unity Band do any PMG material?

One of these days ... Pat will reunite PMG for a tour, and I will get my family to see them. :cool:

I think it is a good possibility that The New Unity Band will do some selections from the PMG songbook. Based on Pat's thoughts on the new band, a bigger sound is one goal: "I had been kind of itching to write more in the style that I had developed over the years with my regular groups and projects where there is a lush and more orchestrated kind of compositional conception that went beyond the sonic limits of what a straight ahead quartet might invoke."

Really stoked about hearing the new CD & seeing the New Unity Band Tour :)

Going to see Pat's current tour next month too, I am also a huge fan of his music and have seen him in concert many times (but now it's a long way out since that last time I did, many years). Got to pick up the new cd, really looking forward to hearing it too, I'm sure it will be favored at the concert. Is this their first one as the Unity band? I would think that they would also indulge the crowd with a few of the well-known classic PMG "hits" as part of the program too.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I think it is a good possibility that The New Unity Band will do some selections from the PMG songbook.

Cool. :cool:

I'll see them in Amherst. I guess that's why he is using "unity group" instead of "unity band," this time around:

"One night I woke up with the tantalizing idea of really taking Unity concept all the way and forming a platform for the first time that could cover the entire spectrum of things that I have done as a bandleader over the years under one roof. With this lineup, everything from Bright Size Life to Secret Story to all of my Group stuff to Song X could be within range-and more. And I expect to further integrate the Orchestrion concept into the fabric of what this band can be as well.

source

It was 1982 or 83. I was in college. Pat Matheny Group played at our school. A couple of drunken rockers who were probably guitar freaks showed up with great seats. They were drunken party animal fools and proceeded to ruin the show for those seated around them.

Pat stopped the show and gave them a short lecture as to what kind of concert they were attending. It was great. He communicated well and the two drunks realized they were being prats and shut up sat down and enjoyed the show. very well handled.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived