Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on studio layout and colour

Dockeys

Hi guys,

I just got some work done on the house and I converted the garage as space for my own rehearsal and home recording. The size is pretty compact, (13'9" long x 7'5" wide x 6'8" high) but it's fine for what I need. All my keyboards and books etc were taking up too much space in the house and with the addition of a new baby it was time to look into a man cave. Its still at the bare bones stage (plastered, radiator in and electricity working) and Ive tried to do a rough guide to how Ill lay it out.

Its not going to be a professional studio, more a place where I can practice without disturbing anyone and record my own stuff, perhaps the odd vocalist who wants to come over. I plan on spending a lot of time there during the day so it needs to be comfortable as well as be conducive to work. And yes, thats a drying machine in the corner under the window..a compromise for getting my own space.

Here's a rough layout:

http://roomstyler.com/users/745791/rooms/6267632

http://roomstyler.com/users/745791/rooms/6267641

So Im looking for some advice on two areas:

a) Layout: The door and window are south west facing so it gets a lot of sun during the midday to late evening. I could have the layout as in the pics but Im just seeing what others have done, assuming you have something similar. I tried to include the main furniture. (desk, chair, 2 x bookshelves) I also have a Casio PX5s as my controller and the Hammond SK2 for practice. I could have the desk facing the back wall and move the bookshelves but then my back is to the light and not sure if thats an unnatural way to work?

b) Colour. I could paint the walls white to try and give the impression of more light in the room but it seems very stark. Has anyone suggestions regarding a nice colour to paint it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dockeys

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No ideas about layout but for color...

My studio/mancave is a den on the lower floor of my house, and for fun my wife and I decorated it in the colors of our fav NFL team, the Carolina Panthers. I have two hanging "stained glass" lamps with the CP logo, refurbished and painted table lamps in black/blue, sofa/chairs/tables in blue or black, clock with logo, and even acoustic foam panels in the blue/black motif so it all matches. I left the walls the way they came when we bought the place: beige and partially paneled so the football stuff stands out. My wife supplied CP rugs and throws for the sofas.

So our "Panther" studio doubles as a football cave with a big tv and all the trimmings, which seems perfectly natural.

Thanks for the reply Jim. That place sounds very comfy. Yeah I'm just tired of being surrounded by white walls. It's beginning to resemble a hospital. I went to a hardware store yesterday and the lady tried to sell me flowery wallpaper and suggested I create a "feature wall" whatever that is! Anyway thanks for your help.

Dockeys

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

For mixing, you'll really need true near-field monitoring, in such a small room. The speakers should be in an equilateral triangle with your head, and nearly as far from the walls as they are to your head. The setup with the two huge screens won't work for that at all. If you can stack them vertically you might get closer, but I'd go for smaller screens.

Even then you'll have problems with the size of the room, but I guess knocking out a wall isn't an option! :laugh:

For convenience, here are the images:

http://media.roomstyler.com/media/data/rooms/images/_thumbs/h7a7juuynd2e7h4p.jpeg_640x480_q85.jpg

http://media.roomstyler.com/media/data/rooms/images/_thumbs/plp4upusztrrs6mz.jpeg_640x480_q85.jpg

Archived