Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Alesis wireless keytar!

bloodyMary

actually it's "just" an updated Vortex - now in black finish (which imo looks way better) and built-on wireless USB midi.

And its just $200?

We definately live in the golden age of electronic keyboards.

I'm getting this baby the second it hits the stores (probably will sell my Roland AX and get this + have leftover cash)

Anyone planning on getting this kb?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope -- it was blown out for under $70 a few months ago in anticipation of the wireless model, but as near as I can tell, they didn't fix any of its fatal flaws, such as the pretty much all-on-or-off accelerometer. It's a shame because this keytar smokes all the others in build quality, ergonomics, and features, until you get down to its poor MIDI implementation. Who knows; maybe they fixed it. The on-line specs and write-ups do not instill confidence that anything changed, and the wireless mode is for audio only and not MIDI. Also, the white was more stage-friendly than the new black.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

If I didn't have other things I need to get I'd consider it just for the novelty factor. I'm always in the back and sing lead on some tunes, it would be fun(and scary) to get out front (I may just do it on some songs and not play keys anyway).

I'm guessing the wireless is just for the usb and not the midi--that would make it tough for me to use it as I don't have anything with usb in my rig. Having to run a midi cable makes it a no-go, I'd have to research further.

... the wireless mode is for audio only and not MIDI.

Am I missing something here? I don't get how a MIDI controller can use wireless audio ...? :confused:

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Nope -- it was blown out for under $70 a few months ago in anticipation of the wireless model, but as near as I can tell, they didn't fix any of its fatal flaws, such as the pretty much all-on-or-off accelerometer. It's a shame because this keytar smokes all the others in build quality, ergonomics, and features, until you get down to its poor MIDI implementation. Who knows; maybe they fixed it. The on-line specs and write-ups do not instill confidence that anything changed, and the wireless mode is for audio only and not MIDI. Also, the white was more stage-friendly than the new black.

I see that the wireless feature is for computer connectivity only. kinda ok with me, I use a laptop onstage.

Can't the accelerometer thing be disabled?

And could you expand a bit on lacking midi implementation thing?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I think I conflated the pre-reviews of this keytar with the new wireless version of the Akai wind controller, which comes with something from SONiVOX using the Aria player, but apparently has some on-board sounds in firmware and only sends these via wireless vs. the MIDI information (pretty weird).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived