Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Windows 8

jimw

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give yourself time to get used to it - it is far better, and also better for music applications too IMO only of course.

Believe me I was in your camp when I first got it, but I stuck with it..I now am running 8.1 with nary a problem...(touch wood as it still is a PC) :freak:

In fact recently I had cause to re-install a W7 image and when I started using it (W7) I thought "yuck" give me W8 back :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Do the free upgrade to 8.1 - you get a partial menu back, and more help in accessing the "modern UI" tile based apps. You will need to let the Microsoft Updates run before you can get the 8.1 update from the Microsoft Store - and it will take a while (over 3gb of download).

I wouldn't go as far as Miden on actually preferring it, but I have 2 machines running 8.1 now, and probably will have a third within a week or 2 - my 6 year old notebook that shipped with XP, now has a larger PATA HD with Win 7, and I just got another HD (waiting for a HD caddy). This notebook is one of the last with PCMCIA slot that my eMu 1616M MIDI/Audio system plugs in. I do have an eMu 1212M running on 8.1 in one of the other computers. The notebook has Sonar, EWQL's Pianos Gold, and some other music software loaded.

My business is computer networking - I am forcing myself to put out the extra effort - helps me look better when clients need work on newer computers. In all honesty, 8.1 does have some improvements over 7 buried down deep - but the new "modern UI" interface is a bit jarring. 8.1 improves it over 8.0 - you can now make the modern apps live better with each other on the same screen.

BTW, one of my 8.1 machines has Windows Media Center and 2 HDTV tuners - it now serves as my DVR feeding a 55" Samsung HDTV monitor.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Win 8 is worth it for USB 3 if nothing else. My 8 also powers up and down faster than my 7 machines, and is more stable in sleep - but all that could well be hardware differences (I'm hardly an expert). It's also supposedly more secure if you're like me and just running Windows Defender.

I recently did the 8.1 upgrade (which took forever) and that gave me Alt+F4 back among other things. I'd say it's worth the hassle. But I'm always in desktop mode and don't have a touch screen PC, so I'm not Win 8 crazy or anything.

Mac guy here... my Tyros 4 needs a smaller ( 11.6 inch ) PC for editing and for lyrics, and PDF charts etc.

10 years ago I had heard there is a process that strips a windows machine of much of it's apps and whatever, that slow it down for for more dedicated music applications.

For my yamaha tyros 4 which sub $500 laptop is recommended- 64, 32 bit? Windows 7 or 8.1, or touchscreen with 8?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I have 2 Win 7 machines in front of me 8 - 10 hours a day at work, then go home to my Win 8.1 laptop. I actually like Win 8.1, with one exception. I miss the Start button. It can be a bit of a hassle trying to start some applications, like Office 2013. Prior to the 8.1 upgrade, I installed a little app that gave me back the start button. This was wiped out by the upgrade.

I do like the difference in the App Store. Has a better search function, so it's easier to find what you're looking for.

I have the 64-bit, and it works flawlessly for my music applications.

I did have a problem with Chrome and sound not working, but that was a Chrome issue that I was finally able to fix.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Windows 8.1 user here.

Change happens.

I'm OK with either 8.1 or 7.

An important Windows 8.1 update (Update 1, Build 9600.16606) will become available Tuesday, March 11th.

KLONK

We'll see what changes this brings - other than defaulting to booting to the desktop.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My main gripe with Win8 is a philosophical one, in that the Start menu completely breaks the desktop metaphor.

It certainly isn't hard to boot straight to desktop, and to disable or workaround the touch/tablet-oriented controls. However, if they had let the Start menu appear with the desktop still in the background you might have less head-scratching from users like, say, my mother. :)

All that said, for me, the new Start menu makes it FAR easier to organize and find all my stuff. The rest of the OS is pretty sleek as well.

I'm not using my old PC for music anymore, but I wouldn't hesitate to run a DAW on Win8.

I make software noises.

Windows 8.1 user here.

Change happens.

An important Windows 8.1 update (Update 1, Build 9600.16606) will become available Tuesday, March 11th.

KLONK

We'll see what changes this brings - other than defaulting to booting to the desktop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 8.1 update allow booting directly to the desktop?

If they're going to do an update, how about giving us back a proper start button, with application lists.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Windows 8.1 user here.

Change happens.

KLONK

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 8.1 update allow booting directly to the desktop?

If they're going to do an update, how about giving us back a proper start button, with application lists.

Yes, Ronnie.

But not by default.

According to the articles, it's a marketing decision to show the desktop instead of the "other" screen (no longer called Metro) in Best Buy stores.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Network engineer, Server administrator, and geek. No company names here, but the company I work for is BIG and blue.

I won't go near 8 or 8.1. I had a hard enough time with 7 and not being able to have windows remember their screen positions, let alone go to a ridiculous, faggy "desktop" like on 8.

Even Microsoft refer to 8 internally as "The new Vista."

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Someone once told me an upgrade to new OS isn't the same as a new PC with newest OS already installed. ????

I run Galaxy Vintage D VST. Would I have any issues if I update?

How is it different?

Of course, if you buy an HP or Dell, it will have lots of trial-ware programs that most of us don't want.

But otherwise, if you perform all the Windows updates, it should have the same functionality.

Yes, Ronnie.

But not by default.

According to the articles, it's a marketing decision to show the desktop instead of the "other" screen (no longer called Metro) in Best Buy stores.

Tom

Correct - it needs to be setup manually, as does the enforced "login with password" when W8.1 boots.

Boot to Desktop tweak:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html

To over-ride Auto login:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/fl/auto-logon-windows-8.htm

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I have 8.1 on a new ASUS T100 tablet, I like it. The old interface is right there, and that's what comes up with any native windows program when you open one.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The last upgrade I liked was DOS 6.

But I eventually adjust and like the new stuff. But I really do not like Windows 8. My duaghter's laptop is the only one running it in the house.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Windows 9 will be out eventually. You guys can upgrade then. :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

From PC Pro Magazine:

Hewlett Packard in the US are re-introducing laptops with Win 7 due to a massive fall in sales of Win 8 equipped laptops. There will be a price reduction of $150 for these "retro" machines.

Microsoft have admitted that "less than 10%" of PC's worldwide are running Win 8, while over 49% are running Win 7.

MS software engineers are working overtime in an afford to bting forward the launch date of Windows 9.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

If the lack of a Win 7 type menu is the main problem for you, for $9.95 you can buy the StarDock menu program (BTW you can try it out for 30 days for free). Gives a menu with almost every thing from Windows 7.

It also survived the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. Since I first bought it, there have been a dozen or so updates, all free. It also allows setting the Desktop as default with 8.0.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

My wife has Windows 8 with Start8 on it so it boots to the desktop and has the Start menu. She even tweaked the Start button so it looks like the Windows XP button. She hates the Metro interface but loves the stability and quick boot. Have to put 8.1 on her desktop computer soon (before XP support expires).

I've got 7 on my laptop and netbook but still run (GASP) Vista (SP2) on my studio computer. Works fine though, never had problems with it. I do freelance IT and have to upgrade a small company soon to either 7 or 8.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

MS software engineers are working overtime in an afford to bting forward the launch date of Windows 9.

SSM

At least two years away :) in a best case scenario.

Gee, at first it seemed like a slamdunk to upgrade. Now with more responses it's turning the other way :)

TBH I think you will find there are more in favour of upgrading than not ;) by my count...but it's not a competition...upgrade or not entirely up to you. I always like to watch movies and read books for myself rather than disregard them out of hand simply because someone else says they are not worth it :)

SSM

At least two years away :) in a best case scenario.

Are you sure about that? I just read recently that it may come out next year. Also read that MS may extend support for XP for another year, until June 2015.

Really could use a new desktop, but if the above statements are true I'll hold out another year before I get one with Win8. Don't like the looks of it at all!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

They have not even released beta candidate 1 yet - and they usually always run each beta candidate for around 6 months (usually two betas then a final release Beta candidate) so even if released right now, it would be about two years before the retail version was released...

Not saying this is gospel, not by any means, just going on past OS releases from MS...

In any case Win 9 WILL be very similar to W8 - Unlike Apple, MS are really trying to steer away from dual OS systems for their tablets and desktops now I suspect. Not saying either way is better or worse just saying is all :)

Well... I think it's growing on me.

Started to tweak the tile/home page a little, so it seems a little more personal. I'll definitely want to try out 8.1 to see what it offers. The new laptop is faster, even though the chip speed is actually a little slower than my old one, but more RAM.

We have an all-in-one Windows 7 that has a touch screen. So I can see where Microsoft is headed, but we really don't use the touch screen on it, except by accident... moving the mouse is easier than touching the screen.

Those touch screens suck if you eat fried chicken.

:laugh:

Tell me something I don't already know!

Add some BBQ, hush puppies, and banana pudding and the high resolution just isn't so high anymore! :facepalm:

Tom

Archived