Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1: Still a viable choice?

analogman1

I really wanted an SV-1, I loved the looks and the simple UI. I was put off after reading the horror stories online.

I was really hoping that Korg would announce an SV-2, with the problems ironed out, and some decent AP's, but I think that ship has sailed.

If they were going to do it, I think it would have happened by now.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the SV-1 is a great little KB for players that need all the B&B sounds with an easy interface at a nice price. With a MAP or $1499 for the 73 note KB and $1699 for the 88, the Korg Stand for $99 and a carrying case for less than $200. With a little bit of haggling, you're out the door for less than 2 grand. Any of us that worked in bands during the 70's and 80's would have killed for a KB like the SV-1 back in those days!

The cheap knobs and switches and a "not so good" keybed was a problem for some, but.....what do you want for $1500 bucks? We all want keyboards that are "Inexpensive" but we don't want them to feel CHEAP. Hmm.......a dilemma. Speaking of cheap, I had heard some players saying they got their SV-1 for $1250.

Maybe we were expecting every sound on the SV-1 to be the absolute BEST sound of every KB manufacturer out there, but that's never going to happen.

I think Korg did a great job on the SV-1 and I hope it continues to sell enough so its not discontinued, at least not yet.

If I was in a band, I would buy one.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If my SV-1 were stolen, I wouldn't even shop around; I would purchase another. I love this keyboard. The wurli and rhodes tones are a joy to play. I use the AP sounds all the time (in rock, blues, soul type bands, and a little jazz combo stuff) and don't ever wish for something better. I am very fond of the interface; the outward facing knobs are easy to get to even when the SV-1 is tucked underneath my XK3-c.

I've read horror stories about dead keys etc, but have not experienced any of this. I bought my SV-1 shortly after they came out (it's an 88 with the copper ends), so it's been going that long with moderate to heavy use.

davyyd

Do you make use of the Editor that Korg put out with the SV-1?

Having a USB interface and the ability to make additional changes on patches not available on the front panel, as well as being able to store patches on the computer to load and unload as your needs change is very cool.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, and I finally just joined in - perfect timing for this topic!

I ran across the SV-1 a few years ago at a store and just fell in love with most of the sounds, as well as the action. However, I was taking a temporary hiatus from the stage, so I couldn't justify it.

Fast forward...now I am actively gigging again, doing a lot of vintage and blues-infused material. My Yamaha S80, Korg Triton Le76 and Roland VK-8M are very nice axes, but they just don't cut it anymore. As fate would have it, I was back at the same music store, where my old college buddy is in charge of keyboards. Sure enough, they had a pristine used SV-1 88 in the store. I have to say, I am still in love with it. Have I heard better AP's? Sure - Nord, Roland and Yamaha have great ones. Also, if I'm recording, I would use my Pianoteq sounds. But,in the mix of a live band like mine, the SV-1 AP sounds (especially from the updated sound pack) will be great. Will I use the organs? Not the B's - I'm getting either a Hammond or Mojo for that. Farfisa and Vox? When needed, these will be fine. AP's and Clavs - no brainer. For my money, these are absolutely fabulous!

Above all, though, is my connection to the instrument. This board just feels natural to my fingers. The action, real-time controls, tube-driven models, absence of menus, etc. just plain feel right, and I find that I don't want to stop playing it. That's why that SV-1 88 is mine now!

Clearly, you can get ten players to weigh in, and you'll get ten different sets of experiences, preferences and biases. Some folks hate this board, and others, like me, love it. The best judgment you have, though, ultimately lies within your own ears, fingers and heart.

Happy SV-1 73 owner checking in here. Got it open box for $1150 a year ago, no problems with keys, knobs or anything else.

I've been using it almost exclusively for Rhodes/Wurly in an R&B band (plus messing around at home), and it's been great. The action feels nothing like a real piano, but is extremely playable. The UI is easy and fun, and the XLR outs and internal power supply are nice too.

If you want a great Rhodes and wurlies and don't care about any other sound...otherwise pass.

I don't know, I think the strings are certainly pretty good too. If you're a Hammond Purist, maybe not. But I believe that if you play in a band and you only want to carry ONE KB, the SV-1 is the ticket. Can't beat the price either. :thu:

Cheers!

Mike T.

I would love to own an SV1. Unique look, natural "real" vibe, great sounds and...

Internal Power Supply

XLR outputs

A 73 key hammer action version

Three things lots of people on this forum seem to shout for (myself included)

For me, the difficulty is that in the UK, the cheapest I can find one for is £1299, which just seems overpriced. If it was about £800-900, I'd buy one

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I am replying to this thread as one who has always wanted the KORG SV-1 to be a success. Every time I sat down at one and start playing Rhodes/Wurly settings.I could do so for an eternity. The onboard functions are all there, readily available, and the tube allows the unit to growl YES.

Reality - Ive owned many of the major digital piano types RD-700 series, FP, Yamaha CP series, had two Rhodes and a Wurlitzer electric piano in the past..

- including an SV-1 and currently a couple of CASIO Privias (one being the PX-5s)

In my digital keyboards I typically only play AP or Rhodes/Wurly (jazz tunes).everything else is gravy.

I owned an SV-1 73 with the newer RH3 made in Japan keybed a couple of years back. As notedloved the Electro/keys sound.issue was with Acoustic Piano. I did find the Acoustic Piano samples to be very good. Note that if you compare a Steinway grand to a Schimmel, Yamaha, Kawai they are all going to sound difference which one is best; is matter of taste. The key response from these various grands would also have some variation againmatter of taste.

The issue I had with the SV-1 used as an Acoustic Piano is that when keys are played very gentlyjazz or other ballad, you would virtually ALWAYS find some notes cutting off prematurely totally unacceptable. There is all kinds of threads on the KORG forum regarding this issue.

- I sold that SV-1 at a $700 loss after 6 months.

- Other considerations. To replace the tube, it is considered service center work. The keyboard needs to be disassembled.

- There is no true split, and variable split-point for those needing good left hand bass

After that SV-1 had been sold, and when I went to add a 2nd 88 keyboard (I already had a newer Privia), I thought that maybe if I tried enough SV-1s, Id find ONE that did not have key cutoff when playing Acoustic/gently. I must have been in an out of some 8+ GCs or other stores. - No dice.

My recollection from the KORG forums is that with the RH3 keyboard, note cut-off is quicker (happens with a less mechanical key travel on release) than most competitive brands. It may be that the adjustment that calibration/repair center can make is marginal. I seriously think the issue is with the integration of the electronics trigging and the RH3 keybed travel/trigger mechanism.

(I had spent A LOT of time on KORG and other forums trying to see if there were real resolutions to the note cut-off issue).

The test; Acoustic piano setting; particularly on the lower ½ of keyboard, gently, repeatedly, push down the keys 3-4 times. You will likely find some notes cutting out prematurely. Also, you need to have the official KORG pedal plugged in when doing this test. (not some knock-off).

On a positive note. The keyboard is a solid, classic beauty (particularly the red version). The knobs/functions that I need were all there, and in my original SV-1 worked flawlessly. The editor is very good, when I had my SV-1, all the presets had been customized. I had built out a totally custom sound-set.

If I find an SV-1 with a keybed where the notes dont get cut off when playing Acoustic I will likely buy itas a classic, studio piece, not to be gigged.

Heres to the SV-1 !!

and

Hope someone at KORG is noting.. your public awaits.

Jaspla, that's a very interesting point you've made about the acoustic pianos. I will have to check that out, when I try the keyboard again soon. (probably this weekend). Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

After that SV-1 had been sold, and when I went to add a 2nd 88 keyboard (I already had a newer Privia), I thought that maybe if I tried enough SV-1s, Id find ONE that did not have key cutoff when playing Acoustic/gently. I must have been in an out of some 8+ GCs or other stores. - No dice.

My recollection from the KORG forums is that with the RH3 keyboard, note cut-off is quicker (happens with a less mechanical key travel on release) than most competitive brands. It may be that the adjustment that calibration/repair center can make is marginal. I seriously think the issue is with the integration of the electronics trigging and the RH3 keybed travel/trigger mechanism.

If you have the opportunity again, you could test this by triggering the SV1 from another keyboard (like the Casio) via MIDI. Then you would know if the issue was related to the physical interface of the sound to its own keyboard, or inherent to its electronics regardless of how it is being triggered.

If you are going to have a dual-weighted setup anyway (with an SV1 in the mix), you could use MIDI to trigger whichever piano sound you like better from whichever action you like better for piano; and regardless of that, use the SV1 to drive its own EPs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have the SV1 with the "made in Japan" sticker on the top key, and mine also suffers from note cutoff. If it weren't for that one issue, I would be an extremely contented SV-1 owner. No, it's not the best for APs, but they're usable, and the EPs/effects are killer.

To me, it's outrageous that Korg allowed the SV-1 (and original Kronos) to be sold with that blindingly obvious defect. And then, when I discovered that their solution was to limit the dynamics, I decided to live with the issue. Korg should have made replacement actions available for all SV-1 users who experienced the problem.

Despite the crippling effect of the substandard RH3 action, the SV-1 is still a joy to own. There's nothing quite like it for instant vibe. But if you're looking for a single instrument to cover live and studio/recording work, this is not it - unless you can find one that does not have the defect. It's impossible to play it with any subtlety.

I used to own a Technics P50 that had the exact same problem with the keys. And... interesting fact...

Someone on this forum (think it was Dave Ferris?) once stated that they had heard that the Korg RH3 action was actually an old Technics design.

Having played both the P50 and the SV1, I can say that they certainly both felt very similar. I really like the basic feel of the action but obviously the problem described - where the note suddenly stops short - is indeed a problem.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Can the SV-1 run external inputs through its effects chain? If yes, it would make a killer controller for a racked-up laptop/mac mini rig. Think: using VI Ravenscroft for APs , and sending Scarbee EPs/clavs through the tube effects...

Best of both worlds, perhaps: immediate hands-on, tweakable effects, without any of the limitations like note-offs, and as many splits/layers as you like.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Can the SV-1 run external inputs through its effects chain? If yes, it would make a killer controller for a racked-up laptop/mac mini rig. Think: using VI Ravenscroft for APs , and sending Scarbee EPs/clavs through the tube effects...

Best of both worlds, perhaps: immediate hands-on, tweakable effects, without any of the limitations like note-offs, and as many splits/layers as you like.

- Guru

It would be a fairly expensive purchase if you were only going to use it as a controller, near the top of the range I would imagine.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It would be a fairly expensive purchase if you were only going to use it as a controller...

Expensive? Perhaps. But "only" a controller...? That's missing the point. You'd be retaining everything that made players want to like the SV-1 - high quality onboard effects, knobbage for tweakability, the tube, the form factor, the fun factor. All of which constitute serious value, that your average controller lacks.

Besides, anyone who's been following this thread carefully would understand that the physical components of the keyboard - action/form factor/build quality/analog circuitry/internal power supply - drive the cost of a keyboard to a much more significant extent. And it is precisely in these aspects that the SV-1 delivers value. Value that is increasingly scarce among other boards in the market.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

It would be a fairly expensive purchase if you were only going to use it as a controller...

Expensive? Perhaps. But "only" a controller...? That's missing the point. You'd be retaining everything that made players want to like the SV-1 - high quality onboard effects, knobbage for tweakability, the tube, the form factor, the fun factor. All of which constitute serious value, that your average controller lacks.

Besides, anyone who's been following this thread carefully would understand that the physical components of the keyboard - action/form factor/build quality/analog circuitry/internal power supply - drive the cost of a keyboard to a much more significant extent. And it is precisely in these aspects that the SV-1 delivers value. Value that is increasingly scarce among other boards in the market.

- Guru

I agree 100% with everything you say. And it's still bloody expensive for a controller.

SSM

I agree 100% with everything you say. And it's still bloody expensive for a controller.

I think there is a skewed perspective because, in recent years, there has been a dearth of quality controllers. Most plain MIDI controllers are indeed pretty cheap, but also, most of them are pretty crappy. What would someone pay for a quality controller? I guess the VAX77 showed that not too many were willing to pay $3k+ these days (or at least not enough for them to keep making it). But we don't have anything today like the old Kurzweil MIDIBoard, or some of the old Roland and Yamaha high quality controllers (which would probably cost just as much, inflation-adjusted).

That said, I don't think the SV1 would make a very good controller. ;-) I'm not positive, but I don't think it processes external audio through its effects. Other than that, it's weak in other aspects of being a controller... not a particularly great action, no definable knobs/sliders/buttons, no pitch/mod wheels, no zoning or MIDI program change recall, etc. Even if you're doing most of that stuff on the receiving end or with accessory devices, and are just looking for a well built board with a good action, I think you can do better.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Depends on what controller your comparing too.

Kawai VPC1 $1895

Studio Logic Numa Nero $1700

Ah yes! And actually I read that the VPC1 sales are ahead of their projections.

And it's still bloody expensive for a controller.

SSM - I'm not sure if you're a gigging musician; what I wrote may not make much sense if you aren't. Besides, if you insist on seeing a controller with high-quality effects packed in a great interface as merely a controller, I have no arguments... ;)

- Guru

SSM - I'm not sure if you're a gigging musician; what I wrote may not make much sense if you aren't. Besides, if you insist on seeing a controller with high-quality effects packed in a great interface as merely a controller, I have no arguments... ;)

- Guru

Hi Guru,

I don't gig, but I do understand what you are saying. To me, an approximate equal to the SV-1 (being a board with sounds, that can also be used as a controller) would be the Casio PX-5S. It has assignable knobs and faders. The only thing you lose is the tube drive, and, IMHO, this is more than offset by the Casio not cutting off notes.

The Casio is £875 over here, the Korg is £1500. That is why I said it's expensive.

I do appreciate, that on stage, ease of use becomes more of a priority, but over £600 extra seems a high price to pay.

SSM

- Guru

Hi Guru,

I don't gig, but I do understand what you are saying. To me, an approximate equal to the SV-1 (being a board with sounds, that can also be used as a controller) would be the Casio PX-5S. It has assignable knobs and faders. The only thing you lose is the tube drive, and, IMHO, this is more than offset by the Casio not cutting off notes.

The Casio is £875 over here, the Korg is £1500. That is why I said it's expensive.

I do appreciate, that on stage, ease of use becomes more of a priority, but over £600 extra seems a high price to pay.

SSM

I totally agree that the SV1 is overpriced here. As you say, £875 for the Casio. £1299 for the Krome and the Moxf8. At the lower end, the RD64 has recently dropped to £649 and the the PX350 is £549. Considering its feature set, £999 would be more appropriate for the SV1, with £799 being an even better price if they want to shift them. I can't imagine many SV1's being sold and I can see a price drop happening.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I think that the MOXF is a fantastic board for the money, especially with the flash board option, so that you can load extra sounds.

Th only thing that's putting me off is the UI.

I keep imagining Yamaha techs, cackling fiendishly in a cellar somewhere, saying "This will confuse them, they'll NEVER work this out".

It's funny, a few months ago I exchanged posts with AnotherScott, on a different forum, and I was complaining that the MOXF was too expensive once you'd paid for the 1GB flash. Now I've done a 180 degree turnaround.

Maybe I'm just fickle!

Anyway, the SV-1 certainly makes the MOXF look very affordable.

SSM

To talk in terms of the SV-1 as a controller or to compare its price to a keyboard that has virtually nothing in common with it, is to miss the point of the keyboard. It is a limited, appropriately priced (except, apparently in the UK) specialty instrument. I think it does what it's meant to do pretty well, and for my use, there's not a better alternative.

If its specialty is not your cup of tea, move on.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Archived