Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fabricating a cloth screen / skirt frame for a keyboard rig.

CEB

I want to fabricate some sort of frame that will wrap around the Keyboard stand. and I cant attach some sort of funky cloth print to it. I would think should be an easy and fairly commonly available for things like both displays etc....

Anybody do something like this. What would be the easiest way to fabricate a frame? It has to be collapsably.

I am thiking something like the stage sets that Chester Thompson's rig would sit behind on some Santana shows.

Thanks

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at my "stand" in this thresd, it started out as three pieces of ply held together in the corners by hinges so that it folds flat. It had a piece of webbing across the front to stop the sides opening out - pretty simple (until I installed shelves! - it still folds flat(ish) though)

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2557872/Re_The_stand_construction_thre#Post2557872

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Not exactly what you asked for but still worth a mention:

Some years ago I decided to kill two birds with one stone by having a magnetic sign made up at a sign shop with my logo and web address on it. I sized it to fit the side of my car (van at the time). I also got a cheap piece of aluminum from Home Depot that I could hang from the front of my keyboard stand and attach the magnetic sign to. It worked great and it didn't have any folds in it like fabric would. I could also mount the sign on the wall behind me.

It wasn't terribly expensive and it looked very good on stage or going down the road.

edit: also check out www.pianoback.com

Not exactly what you asked for but still worth a mention:

Some years ago I decided to kill two birds with one stone by having a magnetic sign made up at a sign shop with my logo and web address on it. I sized it to fit the side of my car (van at the time). I also got a cheap piece of aluminum from Home Depot that I could hang from the front of my keyboard stand and attach the magnetic sign to. It worked great and it didn't have any folds in it like fabric would. I could also mount the sign on the wall behind me.

It wasn't terribly expensive and it looked very good on stage or going down the road.

edit: also check out www.pianoback.com

That is cool :) looks like it only suits X stands and not stands like Proel or K&M Spider styles where the legs extend past the back edge of the keyboard, but it is still really cool idea...thanks for the link

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

It's plausible that you could use "male" velcro sticky tape on the stand and/or bottom board and get muslin to hook into it.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I think I found what I want. 1" square aluminum tubing with slip over connectors. Going to search if this stuff is available locally. All the parts are available from this company.

http://www.estoconnectors.com/index.php/price-list/print/category/1-inch-1516-od-.044-wall-/

Not sure where you reside, but if there's a Joann's Fabrics near you they have all kinds of things for making what you want, as well.

I always stroll through there when doing projects, just to see what might work.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I was going to go there to look at cloth. Thanks. I didn't think they would have hardware. I struck out at Lowes.

Thank again.

PS. I am from the great state errrr .... The state of Illinois about an hour north of St Louis.

PS. I am from the great state errrr .... The state of Illinois about an hour north of St Louis.

I grew up in downtown Chicago. :) Love the city. Anyway, I believe Joann's has the kind of hardware you use to make frames for painting, where you stretch the fabric over it.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Actually, the state of Illinois is great. It's our leaders who stink! :mad: And that's all I'll say about that, lest I cross the line into political discussion. And the only reason I've said this much is because I can't imagine anyone who lives here disagreeing with my statement! :D

And back on topic, I agree with the JoAnn's suggestion. I like the black cloth/velcro idea. I'm considering doing this myself, and putting the band's logo on the front. :cool:

><>

Steve

Archived