Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Super Bowl Halftime Funk Prediction

Dave Weiser

My prediction: That at some point during the Bruno Mars/Chili Peppers set, they'll do at least one classic funk or R&B cover.

My reasoning:

Mars, an R&B performer with some good material but not a large catalog (supposedly) hand-picked the Chili Peppers, who are known for covering songs by Stevie, The Meters and Sly and working with the likes of George Clinton and Maceo Parker.

Exhibits A-C

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSgsW2Jc1A

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6cuCvnmy0

Or they might just play Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused. (The live version would take up the entire show, which would be hysterical.)

http://www.nme.com/news/red-hot-chili-peppers/75140

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to see them and Bruno do their cover of The Ohio Players' Love Rollercoaster.

+1

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I'd love to see them and Bruno do their cover of The Ohio Players' Love Rollercoaster.

Ah right of course - the unexpected highlight of the Beavis and Butthead movie! They kill it, plus I love the brain-melting animation in that bit.

Ah right of course - the unexpected highlight of the Beavis and Butthead movie! They kill it, plus I love the brain-melting animation in that bit.

Segue Segway off topic for a bit of trivia.... The guy who gave us Beavis and Butthead as well as King of the Hill and Idiocracy (one of my favorite movies), is a bass player from Texas named Mike Judge. Judge played for a while with Anson Funderburgh, a good Texas blues act, in the late 80's - early 90's. I actually saw Judge play with Funderburgh back in about 1990 during my first time living Houston. From what I recall Judge was a pretty rock solid bass player.

Back on topic... I'm looking forward to Mars (and the RHCP's). Mars is definitely near the top of my list for the younger generation of real musicians.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Nothing against either act...but I hope they lose power and have to skip the halftime show. Just the football, thanks.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Yeah... You're right. I must have been subconsciously thinking of the one wheel Nerd things from the 80's (or was it 90's?). I'm getting too old.

Anyway, on with the day and the Superbowl thing.

If Flea mans up and goes "topless" like he often does, at least he won't shock the Puritanic American public with a nip slip like Janet J. did about 10 years ago

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

If Flea mans up and goes "topless" like he often does, at least he won't shock the Puritanic American public with a nip slip like Janet J. did about 10 years ago
You didn't mention that was in Houston and you were living here, right? :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You didn't mention that was in Houston and you were living here, right? :poke:

Yeah... I did a twofer in Houston from 1989 - 1992 and then from 1997 - 2010 when we met. I think Nipplegate happened during the 2004 Superbowl in Houston but I missed it because I stopped watching the game at halftime. As a result of that missed opportunity, I haven't missed a Superbowl half-time show since, although I must confess I wish Flea was a good looking woman rather an ugly tatted up dude, it might be more interesting today. Back to the game...

To paraphrase Dennis Hopper, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are a pimple on the ass of humanity.
Flea is not merely a pimple. He is a festering boil, but he can sure as hell play some bass.

You'd think with 9 people on stage, they'd be able to do it without tracks. Guess not.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The fireworks were cool.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Interesting keyboard rig.... Looks like the new, Anvil line about to debut at 'Messe. :evil:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

You'd think with 9 people on stage, they'd be able to do it without tracks. Guess not.
Yeah... I just watched it and it's a shame because IMO both Bruno Mars and the RHCP's (whom I've seen live) are very capable live musicians. But I guess when you have a 100 million people watching, the money guys can't risk a technical hiccup.

Another disappointment for me .... There was nothing but man tit from Flea and the gang.

All the Super Bowl halftime shows have backing tracks behind live performances and singing. If something goes wrong, the track takes over.

Backing tracks are required to sync all the lighting, pyro, and video to the music.

I thought Bruno was pretty good. Really disliked the Peppers.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

And boy... Did Peyton look ordinary or what? Hats off to Seattle for a serious smack down. What a defense!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

All the Super Bowl halftime shows have backing tracks behind live performances and singing. If something goes wrong, the track takes over.

Backing tracks are required to sync all the lighting, pyro, and video to the music.

I thought Bruno was pretty good. Really disliked the Pea's.

You can play to a click without having tracks (besides the click track). Video and lighting guys can trigger scenes and VJ video to the music without tracks. We did it in my old band. Video guy cued the video and rode the playback speed yo keep it locked to our playing. Light guy sat behind the light board triggering scenes and controlling the movers. We paid the light guy $150/show and the VJ was paid by the club and they could do it. Tracks aren't REQUIRED, it's just easier and safer.

Dan

I read that the NFL requires that at least the half-time performers use a backing track. Whether the performer(s) chooses to actually sing on top of a track depends on that entity. I am pretty sure James Brown had a dead mic. The track is a safeguard.

I read this in an article while looking for information on Whitney Houston's national anthem performance. I have seen some disasters in national anthems. Steven Tyler comes to mind. I doubt there was a backing track there. Maybe they would have punched it up had the mic gone dead. Yet of all people and considering the performance, I had thought Houston did it on her own. However she sang over a backing track. So who knows how the NFL handles it?

By contrast, I'm watching a documentary of Billy Joel playing Russia in 1987. Not only were there no tracks, but on Allentown, they actually had a guy hammering a big long chunk of steel for the sound fx.

Dan

By contrast, I'm watching a documentary of Billy Joel playing Russia in 1987. Not only were there no tracks, but on Allentown, they actually had a guy hammering a big long chunk of steel for the sound fx.

No tracks.... but what about tractors? (Check out the drum kit.)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuFJoexdlU

I thought Bruno was pretty good. Really disliked the Pea's.

You can play to a click without having tracks (besides the click track). Video and lighting guys can trigger scenes and VJ video to the music without tracks. We did it in my old band. Video guy cued the video and rode the playback speed yo keep it locked to our playing. Light guy sat behind the light board triggering scenes and controlling the movers. We paid the light guy $150/show and the VJ was paid by the club and they could do it. Tracks aren't REQUIRED, it's just easier and safer.

They are here. I happen to know the production designer. And no offense, but this show is a little more complex than what you probably did with your old band. If the lighting, pyro, or video screws up, then it's your career ending.

This almost occurred during The Who's halftime show. Bruce Rogers (the designer), told me that when they rehearsed the stage set up (which has to happen in less than 13 minutes), they were never able to successfully complete it. He thought his career would end that night. Alas, they barely got the stage set up and all the LED's working.

I also happen to have a video of this amazing setup and the near disaster that almost occurred. I show it to my graduate lighting students. Very educational... Truly living on the edge. Designers make a shitload of money for these gigs, but they also lose decades off their lives due to the stress.

Archived