Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried this expression pedal-to-USB thing?

keyman27

If you get values 0-127 in half of the pedal's movement, you cannot fix that using MIDI mapping. The best you could do (using MIDI mappaing) is to get the bottom half to go from 0-63, but you'd never get to the top -- a total non-starter.

I bet it's the polarity. Fix with the Ashby gizmo, or Reezekey's suggestion above.

For use with the little Midi Expression gizmo, you'd want both Y-cables to be 1/4" male. For use in a typical rig (plugging into your keyboard), I'd prefer one of the Y cables to be the right length to avoid using a 1/4" patch cable from the Y cables to the keyboard (or whatever). But if the distance varies a lot, Miden's solution would be best. Note that you'd need to use a 3-conductor (TRS) cable.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I probably would have bought the MIDI Expression device if it had come out 6 months ago. I may still buy one. Instead, I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-MIDI-over-Controller/dp/B002YL81RW

It's a stomp box with 3 buttons and an expression pedal input that connects by USB to a computer. I use it with Mainstage when I play shows. I have it set up so one button changes patches, and another is my MIDI Panic button.

Thanks for the heads up Curmudgeon. Mine arrived in the mail and I've tested it pretty thoroughly. No hiccups on my system.

The Logidy UMI3 seems like a great solution for anyone using an EV5 or other "regular" polarity pedal. Of course that means the FC7 won't work without one of the above mentioned workarounds.

Good packing. Solid construction and buttons. The software interface had no hangups on the Mac. The only deviation from the instructions, is that the USB light flashes when connecting but does not stay lit as the instructions intimate. However each midi message is accompanied by a flash, so if you are nervous about the connection, you can always test it. There is also a device status check in the software application if you don't want to send midi messages willy nilly just before a gig. The device does not come with a USB cable, but this way you get to pick color and length for your rig.

The 3 buttons are capable of some fancy programming: you can do 8 note sequences on each one for example. (You can also do patch changes, ccs, start/stop etc.) As for the pedal input, with the EV-5 the CC output is smooth and reliable. :thu:

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get the MIDIExpression to work with the FC-7 pedal.

I bought adapters to reverse the polarity, but I think one of them is not right. Reezekeys (or anyone else), can you give me a link or the part name for those adapters you used?

Here's what I used:

YPP118 - Hosa 6" TRSM - (2) TRSF Y-Cable

YPP136 - Hosa 6" TRSF - (2) TSM Y-Cable

I think the problem is that on the YPP118, the two female jacks are both STEREO, instead of mono 'splitters', if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...
The Ahby adapter switches tip and sleeve. No more, no less.
Tip and Ring, right?

If I'm wrong, then Reezekeys's suggestion wouldn't work, but I believe it's pretty well known that it does work.

I haven't been able to get the MIDIExpression to work with the FC-7 pedal.

I bought adapters to reverse the polarity, but I think one of them is not right. Reezekeys (or anyone else), can you give me a link or the part name for those adapters you used?

Here's what I used:

YPP118 - Hosa 6" TRSM - (2) TRSF Y-Cable

YPP136 - Hosa 6" TRSF - (2) TSM Y-Cable

I think the problem is that on the YPP118, the two female jacks are both STEREO, instead of mono 'splitters', if that makes sense.

The first Y cable looks wrong. It should be TSF, not TRSF. What you're showing is just a 3-connector Y cable, not a stereo L/R splitter.

I bought 2 of the MidiExpression dongles and am pleased to report that they work flawlessly. There's a free software download, but it's only for editing them. It doesn't have to run concurrently with your DAW once you've programmed them. The editor allows you to do things like adjusting the MIDI value range, reversing the pedal, or adjusting the curve of an expression pedal.

Here's how I set mine up:

One for my expression pedal into MainStage. I used the Ashby Solutions adapter, and it worked without a hitch.

With the second one, I used a cool feature that I didn't know it had. If you use a splitter, you can plug 2 switch pedals into one unit. I connected 2 Roland FS5U pedals, and set one to be patch increment, and the other patch decrement.

For security, I gaffer taped the dongles to my keyboard stand. I didn't like the idea of leaving them just hanging or on the floor.

Casio PX-5S, Casio PX-3, Hammond SK1, Roland XP-10, Classic MIDI Works AGO MIDI Pedalboard, Mainstage 3, Hauptwerk, Conn 8D

Previously owned: Yamaha DGX 230, Alesis Q88, Novation Impulse 61

With the second one, I used a cool feature that I didn't know it had. If you use a splitter, you can plug 2 switch pedals into one unit. I connected 2 Roland FS5U pedals, and set one to be patch increment, and the other patch decrement.
Cool! They should advertise that, it's a great feature. Thanks for letting us know.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but had a couple of questions regarding this MIDIExpressions dongle:

1. Will it work with an ipad correctly? I know the website says it does but will it provide the entire 0-127 range?

2. Would it work fine if I connect it indirectly to the ipad through a powered USB hub?

3. Would it work with Galileo app for lowering/raising the organ volume?

4. I have no expression pedal right now, but what would the recommendation for a pedal be that works with this?

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

I can report that I have an FC7 pedal and the Midi Expression 4 with the Ashby converter and the FC7 now works perfectly with the converter and the Midi Expression.

Prior to the ashby converter I could never quite tune the response of the FC7 correctly with the Midi Expression software. With the Ashby converter the FC7 is dead Linear!

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Archived