Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOTU MIDI Express series, anyone us these?

Leh173

Does anyone currently use any of the MOTU range of MIDI Express USB interfaces? I'm looking at getting one of the 8 port version either the XT or vanilla, and wondering if anyone used them in their setups and what their thought about them are? This would be for studio use only.

I just passed up some Emagic Unitor/AMT USB ones on ebay, which I'm slightly regretting, but I'd rather go for a current product. It seems that the MOTU is the only stuff on the market now!

I'm using heaps of old hardware and need a consistent MIDI interface solution rather than shoehorning everything into my Emagic MT4 and other interfaces I have lying around. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using a MOTU MidiExpressXT in my live rig. It serves as the central hub for ALL the MIDI connectivity in my rig. I connect the MIDI OUT connections from my CP300, Kronos and AX Synth to IN ports on the MOTU - and OUT ports of the MOTO to the MIDI IN connections of my CP300, Kronos and Motif ES Rack unit. The unit allows me to control any and/or all sound engines in my rig from any keyboard. With it being rack mounted - all the connections to the MOTU within the rack are prewired.

There are undoubtedly less expensive ways to accomplish the same thing - but for me, it has provided a "set it and forget it" setup has made interconnectivity between all my devices very clean and easy. It's been in my rack for several years now - and I can't remember the last time I've had to touch it.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Thanks for that info SpaceNorman! Sounds great. I guess you are using the MIDI patching routing abilities of the XT? I was interested in that so I could use it either with Logic or setup a patch where I can use the Fantom G and modules only as to bypass using the computer if I want to. I can build a system in Logic to do that but maybe the XT is worth the extra bucks.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

BTW sorry about spelling "use" wrong in the topic title. I was up waaaaay to early this morning...

Archived