Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Must Haves in the Gig Bag

DulceLabs.com

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This list is nice but I don't agree w/ all items and I'd add one or two myself.

I think the list could be optomized for economy.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I would add extra audio cables for whatever connections you need. What else?

and power, including extra wall wart for anything that requires one.

compact headphones with whatever end(s) you need so you can play any keyboard that might need to have some kind of troubleshooting or adjustment made, without creating noise on stage

not that I necessarily follow my own advice, mind you.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Duct tape? Whaaat??? Gaffer tape baby!

LOL - I hear you... When I worked doing incidental music for live theatre I had an unlimited supply of free gaf tape. Good times. :)

One other item I added was an aluminum clipboard with storage. In addition to pens and papers I also keep my iPad mini, adapters and other misc. items in there.

http://content.etilize.com/Large/11965935.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i0xbYuYQYGg/UCLYcojqODI/AAAAAAAACT0/JNh0jJLv64I/s400/welcome-to-the-handymans-corner-red-green-handyman-duct-tape-demotivational-posters-1317818561.jpg

:laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Custom made ear plugs, if drummer, guitarist suck.

a checkered ( the kind you hated as a little kid for Christmas ) flannel shirt that techies and handymen like Bob VIIIIla wear, complete with see thru plastic pocket protector.

Heater for outdoor gigs

Heater to rob a liquor store.. crime of opportunity only.. just covering myself.

a bag, just in case

a double bag in the more likely scenario after gig.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

First, anyone using duct tape on a mixing board will be likely and deservedly flogged! .

Other than that tiny point this is an excellent starting list!

I'd add:

- clothes pins, especially if you're playing outdoors

- a power outlet tester:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/31/80/50/0004318050542_500X500.jpg

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I would add the following:

1 cake doughnut

condoms

To be handled at different times I hope.

So THAT'S how they get the holes in them...

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Being diabetic, I'll add snacks. Insulin + dancing around stage like a fool = hypoglycemia.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#14 business cards: a must have if it's your gig.

If you're working a corporate event for a big agency or meeting planner, passing out your own cards can be a career ender.

We book exclusively through one agent - well, two that have partnered: one covers bars, the other covers private/corporate/weddings. So our business card has them as the point of contact. One side of the card is their logo, the other side is ours with our web site.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#14 business cards: a must have if it's your gig.

If you're working a corporate event for a big agency or meeting planner, passing out your own cards can be a career ender.

We book exclusively through one agent - well, two that have partnered: one coverslip bars, the other covers private/corporate/weddings. So our business card has them as the point of contact. One side of the card is their logo, the other side is ours with our web site.

That's a good way to go.

+1

Also, extra patch cables and a tester. This one costs less than a roll of gaffer's tape:

http://www.adorama.com/images/300x300/pylpct10.jpg

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Why do you need a fan? Just move the Leslie closer!

Dreamchilde -- that is not intended to be used as a ground lift, and lifting your chassis ground is a really, really bad idea from a human safety POV.

Monksdream, if you are using clothes pins for your sheet music....consider using a sheet of plexi instead. It works GREAT.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Being diabetic, I'll add snacks. Insulin + dancing around stage like a fool = hypoglycemia.

I'm a Type II who recently graduated to being insulin dependent - and am now in good control. However, being in control for me means that I no longer have 50-100 points of "cushion" before I gotta worry about "going low". Needing to have snacks within arm's reach is something new for me! Haven't had a "gone low" episode yet - but only because I'm watching it like a hawk!!!! Hard for many to understand!

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Yep! Although a less expensive alternative is "Gorilla tape". I just discovered this recently. You can get it at any Home Depot for about 8 bucks a roll. Black, sticks well, and leaves no residue. :cool:

Also, don't forget mosquito repellant if you play outdoors in the summer. :idea:

><>

Steve

In my gig box: gaffer tape, extra power cords, small flashlight, 1/4" to XLR adapter, pencil, pen, extra 1/4' and XLR cables, bottle with aspirin, Excedrin, Aleve, and Tylenol, finger nail clippers, screwdriver, pliers,small knife, extra 1/8" to 1/4 inch cable, extra AAA batteries,ear plugs, ground tester,plug lift, and small breathalyzer (available at Costco for $19.99).

I'm a Type II who recently graduated to being insulin dependent - and am now in good control. However, being in control for me means that I no longer have 50-100 points of "cushion" before I gotta worry about "going low". Needing to have snacks within arm's reach is something new for me! Haven't had a "gone low" episode yet - but only because I'm watching it like a hawk!!!! Hard for many to understand!

I rarely need them, but all it takes is once and you learn your lesson. I'm type I. All that activity of loading equipment and dancing around all night and it can sometimes be difficult to predict how much it'll drop. But I always have a snake within arms length, and fortunately, I can feel it when it starts to drop.

Dan

Archived