Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VT-3 Vocal Processor

raffkey

I see Roland is about to release the VT-3 Vocal Processor. Anyone have any inside info on this?

..And along those lines, is there any hardware based keyboard or effect device that lets you play a note on the the keyboard (midi, I presume) that will trigger the correct note on a live vocal?

I need something that will let me create some demos for my band with me singing the melody in the intended pitch. Not being a very good singer, (alright horrible would be a better word), Im using the Antares autotune unit but with less than stellar results-too much Cheri.e. I'm waayyy off...

The Novation Mininova , I believe will do this-anyone know for sure and the quality of the results?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite sure exactly what you are looking to do, but I use the TC Helicon Voice Tone Harmony-M. It's made expressly for keyboard, since it has a midi in jack. It will sense what you are playing on the keyboard and fashion the proper harmony as you play and sing. It has a manual mode that will construct the harmonies to the exact keys being pressed.

BUT, you do have to sing on key for it to work right :)

They do make other, more expensive products, that may help in the pitch department.

PS: I paid $99 for mine at Pro Audio Star and they still have them for sale....make them an offer. No I don't work for them.

Paul

Hey Bif-actually looking for a hardware as opposed to software or computer based-but thanks!

Hey Charleston-demos would be mostly for my band mates who laugh and cringe at my vocals on my original song demos. However, I do write originals for other purposes and Id love to be able to have them sound on key as much as possible  ! Thanks.

By the time you get something that doesn't sound like a robot or Stephen hawking you could have learned to sing. Youtube has lots of lessons. Youd be surprised that some of the stupid exercises actually work. My pitch improved to almost decent in a couple of weeks. And i'm 51, so old guys can learn too.

Hardware. Gotcha. This may get you there.

Can do some impressive stuff and available for around $300 used.

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun00/articles/rolandvp9000.htm

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Hey Kas-I've sang Hands to Yourself and other simple rock tunes and have tried to improve my vocals for 40+ years-I'm 58. I also have TMJ and limited jaw movement and sometimes think that limits my 'output' (and a jaw and throat that get tired after a few takes) but that's another discussion :(

Hey Bif-I've looked at the VP9000, and of course I'd have to sample each line and then manipulate it as I record-which I could do-just looking for something keyboard based perhaps..

I know-being a tad bit difficult here-sorry-and thanks for all the suggestions. :) Might end up with the VP9000 or mininova.

Naw man, you're not being difficult.

I don't think the mininova will get you there since it's a vocoder.

Yeah I guess the variphrase would be a little cumbersome.

When you used your tc helicon were you pitch correcting live or post production?

Thanks, Bif.It's nice having a friendly conversation about things...You've been very helpful.

-Using it live (Antares autotune)to 'tape'. Recording on a Tascam DP 08 digital 8 track. Love my hardware :)

There's some video's out there of using the Novation Mininova to manipulate the vocal 'live' without the classic vocoder sound. They call it Vocal Tune. Just worried about the quality-formant issue..

I'm not a great singer either and also use a harmonizer on my motif ES. I also have an antares auto tuner (hardware) and tc helicon voiceworks. I feel your pain.

I've found that you'll be much better off recording your vocal without auto-correction then dubbing it to another teack through the antares.

I see Roland is about to release the VT-3 Vocal Processor. Anyone have any inside info on this?

..And along those lines, is there any hardware based keyboard or effect device that lets you play a note on the the keyboard (midi, I presume) that will trigger the correct note on a live vocal?

I need something that will let me create some demos for my band with me singing the melody in the intended pitch. Not being a very good singer, (alright horrible would be a better word), Im using the Antares autotune unit but with less than stellar results-too much Cheri.e. I'm waayyy off...

The Novation Mininova , I believe will do this-anyone know for sure and the quality of the results?

you want PITCH CORRECTION tracking the MIDI note you input.

My TC Voice Live 1 does this much better than the live 2 or touch, etc even though it is older technology.

IDK about the TC pedals some work better than others, but as a whole the TC stuff harmonizes and corrects better than the Roland and software stuff.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Would the Voice Live let me play (and hear) just ONE note at a time, i.e. one vocal line as opposed to a harmony of two or three voices?

Looking for some help with the main vocal melody of the song. Hoping I can trigger each word or sylable with the appropriate note..

Archived