Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone still use the E-MU B3 ROM? - I need some help

seratone

I have an old E-mu Vintage Pro that has the 'Sounds of the B3' ROM in it (among others).

I just just dug it out if my storage space. I recall it had this fabulous spooky patch called 'Silvering' - Yup, still amazing sounding, but does anyone know how to assign the sustain pedal to this patch?

I found a text only version of the manual, but it doesn't seem to tell me much. I recall about 10 years ago there was a Yahoo group of E-mu lovers. (which I just joined, waiting for approval) Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out how to do this?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its so funny you mention this because I used to have an Emu B3 module, and I've started getting back into the Emu modules.

Anyway, you have to hit the old "edit" button and flip through until you get to the patchcords. You then have to flip through the numbers of them (1 to 25) and find the sustain pedal as a source and set the destination as sustain. If I recall the sustain pedal defaults to change the Leslie speed.

Hope that helps!

I checked via the Vintage Pro ROM B3 organ presets and here is the two-step process:

1)PatchCord #3: Footswitch 1->change from OFF to Sustain

2)PresetCord #4: Footswitch 1->change from rotary fast effect to OFF.

You can still switch rotary effect ON/OFF via the Modwheel.

Franz...I agree. The EMU Modules are really great and should not be overlooked :cool:

Hope this helps!

Regards, C

Its so funny you mention this because I used to have an Emu B3 module, and I've started getting back into the Emu modules.

Anyway, you have to hit the old "edit" button and flip through until you get to the patchcords. You then have to flip through the numbers of them (1 to 25) and find the sustain pedal as a source and set the destination as sustain. If I recall the sustain pedal defaults to change the Leslie speed.

Hope that helps!

How does the "Sounds of the B3" compare to the "Definitive B3" expansion ROM? I still have that one in a Proteus somewhere and I always thought the samples were pretty good for the time - if a little hard to get "at". I may have to dig it out and try it with a more versatile, modern MIDI controller.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

How does the "Sounds of the B3" compare to the "Definitive B3" expansion ROM? I still have that one in a Proteus somewhere and I always thought the samples were pretty good for the time - if a little hard to get "at". I may have to dig it out and try it with a more versatile, modern MIDI controller.

I'm pretty sure there's only one E-mu B3 rom. Perhaps they label the rom differently than the module.

As I'm digging into it - the sounds on my Vintage Pro are fantastic - they have really held the test of time having moved on to Motif and Nord.

About ten years ago the selector wheel got knocked off at a gig, luckily I went back the next day and found it before the cleaners swept it away. Getting that thing working again was a challenge!

I can't recall if I have 'sounds of' or definitive. The Leslie works in a strange way, it actually morphs a slow leslie patch with a fast one - so the transition is a little blurry. It would be better to add an after market one - I toured with a Voce Spin.

The Mellotrons rival my Nord 4d, and the various apps I have on the iPad/ I noticed on Kijiji there's a guy in Toronto selling the Proteus 2500 command station with four units in one (475$) - that's a lot of vintage E-Mu....

This worked for portion of the patch sustaining - an ambient whine in the distance (sounds like me!), but not the body of the patch.

What is the program and bank number of the patch in the E-mu Vintage Pro? Assuming that patch is on the Vintage ROM board too, I'd be glad to check it out later for you and see what's up. Just a quick thought 1st...do check the Amp and Filter EG levels to see if they are high enough for your desired sustain level.

EDIT: Be sure to check EG levels for each layer in the patch!

Regards, C

This worked for portion of the patch sustaining - an ambient whine in the distance (sounds like me!), but not the body of the patch.

I used to have the VK-6 (Vintage Pro in a Keyboard package) beefed up with the Proteus 1-2-3 ROM.

I'm regretting selling that for $300 a few years ago, but I really needed cash at the time.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Unfortunately, the Silvering patch/program is not in the Vintage Pro ROM program set so I can't give you specific help on the sustain adjustments. As mentioned though, if you are now hearing some sustain function using the foot switch, then you just need to select the desired layer(s) & then adjust the Filter + Amp EGs to taste. The EMU Pro module interface is fairly straight forward but takes a bit of jumping around with the cursor buttons and spinning the data entry knob. Good luck :cool:

• 1 year later...

Back on the subject of "does anyone still own the EMU b-3 Rom..."

I have this but I'm unable to change the instrument or amplifier layer settings of the presets.

I can see some of the presets have 2 layers being used and different instrument settings but when i change these i get no sound difference.

Also, I see the amplifier settings set to -96 for both which makes no sense because that is the volume turned all the way down. If i change that setting I hear no difference.

All my other Roms in the P2500 work fine in this way.

Anyone?

Archived