Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wireless Midi - How is it now? Where is it going?

IndySteve

Wireless midi products have been available for at least a half dozen years now, yet wires still seem to predominate. I'd love to get rid of my midi cables and usb-midi cables. I'm interested in hearing your stories good and bad with wireless midi. I'm also interested in hearing your opinions about how you see the technology evolving and what you'd like to see.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wireless midi products have been available for at least a half dozen years now, yet wires still seem to predominate. I'd love to get rid of my midi cables and usb-midi cables. I'm interested in hearing your stories good and bad with wireless midi. I'm also interested in hearing your opinions about how you see the technology evolving and what you'd like to see.

Wireless systems (as they stand today) are point-to-point; that means that for every single MIDI cable, you require a separate transmitter/receiver pair.

Wireless MIDI is not a way to simplify your setup, at least not today.

It seems unnecessary to require an interface on the computer side of things. The computer should be able to take the radio signal and send it straight to your DAW.
In order to do that, the MIDI device such as your keyboard would have to talk to one of the radios on your computer. It would be similar to MIDI-over-USB and be MIDI-over-WiFi or MIDI-over-Bluetooth. Your MIDI device would have to transmit over one of those two.

And then that info would have to be sent to the DAW as MIDI data, meaning something would have to get that MIDI data from the signal.

See how this is getting more complicated as we go? :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Note that the CME also has USB, so you can plug USB into your computer and DIN midi out the other end and can send to multiple wireless devices.

Also be aware it is sold in single units - you have to buy 2 to have a complete wireless receiver and transmitter, but it has IN and OUT at both ends (full duplex), but the USB is just for computer connection, not class compliant devices.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Note that the CME also has USB, so you can plug USB into your computer and DIN midi out the other end and can send to multiple wireless devices.

Also be aware it is sold in single units - you have to buy 2 to have a complete wireless receiver and transmitter, but it has IN and OUT at both ends (full duplex), but the USB is just for computer connection, not class compliant devices.

ahhh thanks JD I was going to ask about that when I did a search on the USB device, so you just buy two...

I wonder does the keyboard to which it is connected need to recognise USB devices? For example there is no wi-fi on a MOXF (there is on the MotifXF) and that being the case I am wondering if keyboards like the MOXF while having the correct USB device port may not allow it to be recognised?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

It will only connect to a keyboard via DIN midi, not USB. The USB will not work with any keyboard. USB is only for connecting to a computer.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It will only connect to a keyboard via DIN midi, not USB. The USB will not work with any keyboard. USB is only for connecting to a computer.

Thanks.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I'm have been using the CME WIDI for many years. Great units. Long battery life, very little latency and good distance.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

It seems unnecessary to require an interface on the computer side of things. The computer should be able to take the radio signal and send it straight to your DAW.
Is there any technological barrier that woudl prevent a smartphone app from serving the same role as the hardware wireless midi interface?

If I'm not mistaken, the technology already exists, and is actually much less complicated that I would have expected.

With just one iOS device and one iConnectMidi4Plus interface, it's possible to connect 4 MIDI controllers(DIN/USB) to a computer over WiFi - i.e, no interface needed on the computer side. You'll need the Lemur app for this.

This thread comes at an interesting time for me personally - as I've described in this recent thread, I've just started experimenting with OSC-based communication over WiFi. OSC is like MIDI on steroids which can work via WiFi. Since MIDI<->OSC conversion is easy on both ends, it's *the* way to connect a smartphone/tablet with a laptop.

Two approaches are possible:

• use apps like TouchOSC or Lemur as direct controllers themeselves.
  • As described above, use them as a 'bridge' between your hardware MIDI controllers and your computer (Lemur supports this, TouchOSC does not, AFAIK).

With a computer/touchscreen device combo, OSC is the way to wireless freedom.

- Guru

EDIT: You can also use Midi Designer Pro to send MIDI over WiFi, without OSC involved in the picture!

[video:youtube]

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

I'm have been using the CME WIDI for many years. Great units. Long battery life, very little latency and good distance.

I cannot seem to find anywhere that still stocks them?? Keep getting the discontinued message :(

I had never heard of the PUC before. It looks very promising. According to what I found on the web, the product went through crowd-funding in 2013. It is supposed to be shipped to backers this month, so I guess we can hope for general distribution soon.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Archived