Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So you think you've worked for some jerk band leaders?

HSS

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha....wow.

Never been in a band that had a leader...foreign concept to me.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Funny, when you hear the first one it's pretty shocking, I mean you would be pretty shaken up to say the least to hear him say those things if you were in the band; but listening to multiple sessions of this ranting, I wonder if after hearing it a couple times it would quickly lose its impact, and you'd just realize the guy is kind of crazy and goes off like this every night, try to refrain from rolling your eyes and just humor him. Unless he really was, like he threatens over and over in the rants, firing guys night after night and stranding them there in whatever town they were in. But it doesn't seem like that would be too practical on his part.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Personality

Rich was known to have a short temper. While he threatened many times to fire members of his band, he seldom did so, and for the most part he lauded his band members during television and print interviews. Dusty Springfield reportedly slapped Rich after several days of "putting up with Rich's insults and show-biz sabotage".[20][21]

In the Beastie Boys song "Sabotage", the lyrics "I'm Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle", referred to Rich's temper. Rich held a black belt in karate, as mentioned in a CNN television interview with Larry King around 1985.

Band member and lifelong friend David Lucas says that "Rich had a soft heart underneath it all. His favorite song was "It's Not Easy Being Green."

The Bus Tapes

Rich's temper, mercurial attitude, and imposing personality were documented in secret recordings that pianist Lee Musiker made during some of his tantrums on tour buses and backstage in the early 1980s.[22] These recordings, long circulated in bootleg form, have done much to fuel the reputation of Rich's personality. The tapes were popular with comedians Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David, who used three quotes from them more or less verbatim on Seinfeld:[23]

"If I have to tell you again, we're gonna take it outside and I'm gonna show you what it's like!" ("The Opposite")

"This guy this is not my kind of guy." ("The Understudy")

"Then let's see how he does, up there, without all the assistance!" ("The Butter Shave")

On one recording, Rich threatens to fire Dave Panichi, a trombonist, for wearing a beard.[24][25] The day before Rich died, he was visited by Mel Tormé, who claims that one of Rich's last requests was to hear the tapes that featured his angry outbursts. At the time, Tormé was working on an authorized biography of Rich, which was released after Rich's death, titled Traps - The Drum Wonder: The Life of Buddy Rich. Tormé included edited excerpts of the tapes in the book, but never played them for Rich.[2]:215

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I was shocked when i heard a part of one of the tapes in youtube. And the shock is double knowing the high level and musicianship of the Buddy Rich band. There's not too much one can complain about their performance skills...
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Favorite from the comments:

Poor Buddy- all he expected was that his musicians be as professional as he was. Bunch of lazy, complacent, clock-punching #@%$#, you #@^%$%# the high-schoolers were playing with more JOY than you $%#@%^%#$# I'll shove that trombone up your @#$%$# break some teeth on the way out &%$# throw your $%#^%$ right off this $#@%$%$# bus I was busting my %$#^% up there all I heard from the trumpets was CLAMS CLAMS CLAMS you $%%^%$#@#!!!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Good heavens... bus tapes have made it to Youtube! Amazing... we used to covet these things like gold, and swap with other bands back in my touring days.

Here's the Troggs one:

[video:youtube]

Kasey Kasem:

[video:youtube]

Couldn't find the Hank Williams Jr. one, but I've heard his legal team has been very diligent in getting them removed whenever they pop up.

I have not played for a band leader like that but I played for some coaches that talked like that.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I was shocked when i heard a part of one of the tapes in youtube. And the shock is double knowing the high level and musicianship of the Buddy Rich band. There's not too much one can complain about their performance skills...

I removed my original post that was here because it was far too pretentious and pseudo-intellectual for this thread. I'll archive it and perhaps recycle it for another thread on some forum when there are some hot chicks to impress.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Archived