Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ZLX-12P vs DXR-12

analogholic

Hi all,

Tried out the ZLX-12P´s yesterday at a shop with a Nord Stage 2.

Sounded really nice! the sales guy kept bugging me about the more expensive DXR-12´s. I finally tried them as well and was surprised how much more punch there was in them. He spoke about more Db´s and bla bla in the Yamahas.

I had more or less decided on the EV´s but got a little uncertain if one EV (as I won´t be able to bring two all the time) will be enough playing with a loud rock band ? (two guitars!)

I know some if you guys have the EV´s as well s the Yammie´s?

So advice please!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the ELX112P rather than the ZLX12P. The ELX has 6 db's more SPL than the ZLX. Did you listen to those? Not much more money that the ZLX and still way less money than the DXR. I use one in a very loud band with 2 guitars with loud Marshall amps. I can now keep up.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks Dave!

I checked out the price for the ELX and they are the same as the DXR here in Europe.

I also found this regarding the SPL of the EV´s:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=143061.0

Regarding punch and/or volume...yeah...the Yammies were louder for sure, but I felt as it was more punch in them at the same volume if that makes any sense.

I preferred the sound of the EV´s though.

Tough decision...I guess I´ll simply have to try them out with the band.

Read a couple of swedish reviews and more than a few mention that the ZLX-12p do sound very good although not that loud...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took delivery of a pair of ZLX-12Ps today, and my initial impression is very favorable. The tones on my main acoustic pianos, EPs and organs were balanced without having to apply corrective EQ.

Gain was low enough that neither my Privia nor my Hammond XK would drive the speakers loud enough directly without applying some serious gain. I don't really like to turn powered speakers into mic gain territory because that often brings headroom and distortion problems. I'm guessing that if my keyboard outputs were balanced, I'd have all the gain I wanted.

Since I am using a small Yamaha mixer, the weak keyboard levels weren't an issue. I was impressed that the tone didn't get brittle when I cranked it up to ear ringing levels.

I like the placement of the handles, the weight is reasonable, and construction seems tight.

My only caveat so far is that one of the speakers has given out a crackling noise a couple of times when I bumped it. Hope there isn't a problem with it.

Moe

---

Never tried the Yamahas, because of the price point. But, for the money, I do really like the EV ZLX-12Ps I got a few months ago. As I said in a previous post, they are very loud and stay clean, and reproduce sweet sounding AP, EP and organ tones without using EQ. I do use a small mixer for gain, but even when not needing it, I have plenty of volume. I'm sure that the DXR-12s sound fine also, just more money :(

Paul

Moe, see my postings (2 or 3 of them) on page 2 of this topic:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2467495/Re_Using_powered_speaker_as_an#Post2467495

I sold the speaker and then a few months later repurchased the same model and revised my input level strategy by not overdriving the input level from the mixer, instead a combination of some additional gain from the mixer and some additional gain from the input on the 112P itself; voila, no more crackle....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah, but this one crackled when I bumped it, not playing...

They were set up on the floor as monitors, and my guitar cable had enough heat shrink on it that it was contacting the floor, so maybe had some strain on the jack.

It's interesting in your post that you found the treble to be too bright. I had the opposite experience. The Hammond for the first time was not hurting my ears with shrillness, as it has been thru the Accugrooves and K10s. Curious.

Moe

---

Well, I finally settled with a pair of ZLX-12P´s.

Store let me borrow their demo DXR-12´s and the EV´s.

Was trying them out with different stuff like the Nord Piano which sounds kind of harsh in many active speakers IMO.

Blasted them with recorded music and whatnot.

The Ev´s sounded sweeter in the high-end to me.

Yammies were louder for sure and don´t have as low input gain as the EV´s.

The sweeter sound, EQ, different DSP presets and that they were almost 40% cheaper made me choose the EV´s

Arthur Schopenhauer

DXR 12 = 132dB SPL

ZLX12P = 126dB SPL

ELX112P = 132dB SPL

The ELX series also has individual input gain on both channels as well as a master gain setting. This solves the the low input gain issue. For all the reasons you mentioned (other than the overall loudness) is the reason why I bought the ELX series. The overall loudness was not an issue since they have 6 dB's of extra volume (equivalant to the DXR) that the ZLX series doesn't have while the wood cabinet produced a slightly warmer sound that the others appeared to miss at higher volumes.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

DXR 12 = 132dB SPL

ZLX12P = 126dB SPL

ELX112P = 132dB SPL

The ELX series also has individual input gain on both channels as well as a master gain setting. This solves the the low input gain issue. For all the reasons you mentioned (other than the overall loudness) is the reason why I bought the ELX series. The overall loudness was not an issue since they have 6 dB's of extra volume (equivalant to the DXR) that the ZLX series doesn't have while the wood cabinet produced a slightly warmer sound that the others appeared to miss at higher volumes.

But for the same price of one of its competitors, you could buy two ZLX's and your SPL concerns would be over. I play my two at very loud volumes, but when you combine two, it does not push the components and the sound is true to the instrument.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Arguing about a few dBs at this level seems a bit pointless. I turned my new ZLX's up to play organ and piano at high volume briefly a few days ago, and my ears are still ringing.

The sound was still so smooth that I didn't realize I was hurting myself at the time. I've had to take a break to let my ears recover.

Moe

---

My only caveat so far is that one of the speakers has given out a crackling noise a couple of times when I bumped it. Hope there isn't a problem with it.

No problem, Moe.

That's the newfangled spring reverb.

Lot's of guitar amps have 'em these days.

;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Arguing about a few dBs at this level seems a bit pointless. I turned my new ZLX's up to play organ and piano at high volume briefly a few days ago, and my ears are still ringing.
I'd agree if I owned a pair but I only purchased a single speaker so the additional dB's provided me more volume without having to purchase a 2nd speaker nor having to drag two speakers to gigs which I successfully was able to avoid. If I had decided to purchase two speakers then I probably would have gone with the ZLX's instead.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You must be playing very loudly indeed!

The last time I played with 2 guitar players thru Marshalls, they were controlling their volume by using 1 blonde bassman cabinet each, with 2 12" Celestions in series so that they had a 32 ohm load.

It worked really well. They could crank to get their tone without using a load box, and the volume didn't stun everyone.

That was 30 years ago. There's really no valid reason for guitar players to be that loud.

Moe

---

One guitar with a 50 watt JCM-900 and a 4-12 1960 lead cabinet, volume STARTS on 8 and by the end of the night he is on 10 (no shit). 2nd guitar with a 100 watt JCM 800 into a Mesa 2-12 cabinet. He's more consistent, he's on 8 most of the night. Bass player with a 1200 watt bass head into an 18" and a 4-10 cabinet. Drummers drums are mic'd. I barely stand a chance with my rig. The sound level on the stage in a word: 'frightening'. We've discussed the stage volume situation probably 200 times but the end result is always the same. I pop in my earplugs, turn my volume up and just try to keep up.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I pop in my earplugs, turn my volume up and just try to keep up.

I've mentioned the permanent ringing I have in both ears, haven't I?

Permanent. :(

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

All my muso friends ears are ringing a bit - constantly , so do mine - but not to distraction.

Even my friend who used to do "BarberShop Quartet" for years - just vocals , has terrible trouble with his ears today , he can no longer stand much loud music at all - without ears ringing like telephones in a short time.

Actually , many many peoples ears are ringing mysteriously (or NOT mysteriously).

Brett

Archived