Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Billy Powell

HammondDave

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed... He had some tasty chops

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Love the story that he was their roadie... He was playing Freebird on a piano and Ronnie Van Zant heard him and hired him to play keys in the band.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Dave, that story is over 3 years old.

Really?

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Wow... I had forgotten Billy Powell died several years ago until Dave mentioned it. I really need to get out more, pay more attention to what's going on in the broader world, and perhaps take some of those old fart memory pills.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

It's not uncommon for me to hear that someone has died, and to be surprised because I'd thought they had already been dead for a while. Most recent example: Pete Seeger.

It's nice to finally be right for once!

I felt that way when Bill Cosby finally passed.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

In other news Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Oh my God! Say that isn't so!

OUR TOP STORY TONIGHT....

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I was just playing the "Sweet Home Alabama" piano solo last night. How coincidental is that?

In other news, on the Grammy Awards In Memoriam feature I saw that Ray Manzarek has died.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

It's not uncommon for me to hear that someone has died, and to be surprised because I'd thought they had already been dead for a while. Most recent example: Pete Seeger.

Uh.Cosby is still alive. (Im assuming you were serious, but if I just missed the joke, excuse me.) He was just on Fallon a few weeks ago. He seems borderline crazy/demented, but he just might be old enough to not give a f$@k. He was tormenting ?uestlove and the Roots hilariously when he was on, but he was really all over the map, in a late-Jonathan-Winters kind of way, but it was quite apparent that most of his intellect and wit were still sharp. He was justout there.

And Gary Busey is indeed still alive too.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I'm glad it wasn't just me scratching his head saying: "I thought he died a few years back...?"

Right after he died, I remember being at a club with some drunk right up next to the stage hollering: "BILLY F$#@ING POWELL!!!" over and over, trying to get us to play some Skynyrd in Powell's memory (we're a Motown band).

At least, I thought I remembered that.. until I found out he just died.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Uh.Cosby is still alive. (Im assuming you were serious, but if I just missed the joke, excuse me.)

Was subtle joke.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Sometimes I lose track of who's still around, and who isn't. And no, it's not age: I embarrassed myself thoroughly in the mid 80's - at a band rehearsal, no less - by thinking that John Bonham was still alive. :blush::facepalm:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Uh.Cosby is still alive. (Im assuming you were serious, but if I just missed the joke, excuse me.) He was just on Fallon a few weeks ago. He seems borderline crazy/demented, but he just might be old enough to not give a f$@k. He was tormenting ?uestlove and the Roots hilariously when he was on, but he was really all over the map, in a late-Jonathan-Winters kind of way, but it was quite apparent that most of his intellect and wit were still sharp. He was justout there.

He just did a Comedy Central stand up (well, he was seated as usual) that's also available on DVD titled, appropriately enough, "Far From Finished." :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived